Tallinn, Estonia

jbcool

For those of you who have been to Tallinn, Estonia....

Would you recommend a private tour or just see it on your own?

For those of you who have done a private tour, did you go outside the city to the countryside? Is there a lot worth seeing there? Thanks!

Tallinn is a very nice small town that's easy to do on your own. We've been there twice, but the last time was about 4 years ago. I think we used a guide book, possibly one of Rick Steves'. There are some historic old buildings and a picturesque Russian church, among other attractions.

Enjoy!

On your own, for sure. Very easy. Old town is lovely and when we were there last May, there was a concert in the square -- oldest ballilyka (sp?) group. It was just heaven to sit at a restaurant on the square, sipping coffee and listening to the beautiful music -- they had a female singer who was incredible. I bought their cd.

It's a wonderful city to wander in. I don't think it's possible to get lost. The shopping was great there too (and I'm not much of a shopper). Prices were lower than Russia and the quality was better. Lovely linens and sweaters and a good price for the Russian stackable dolls.

The art galleries and shops were awesome. Lots of lovely modern, quirky things. We bought a sculpture too.

jan

With my mum of 83 it was too far to walk into town so we took a taxi. Taxi took us to the top of the town and we arranged to meet again at the bottom by the flower market some time later. We had a great day with loads of time and the pickup was right by the "booze shops" Incidentally the driver didn't want paying until he took us back to the dock and it was the agreed price.

Tallinn is a very pretty interesting town

Easy to do on own. But, start at the top and walk down rather than the other way around. Easier on you and you will be nearer the ship just as you are getting ready to put up your feet and looking forward to that cocktail.

Archived