Rotterdam Aft-facing Cabin 8203 pics

CruisingAndDiving

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

I’ve seen complaints from random posts about smelling smoke on those rear facing verandas. Either cigarette smoke from the seaview bar on deck 9 or exhaust smoke that gets drawn back against the back of the ship. Some have even said that you sometimes get soot on the veranda and furniture from the ship exhaust. Has anyone here experienced any issues like that?

No, never to soot, ever. But once in a rare occasion will smell smoke - we think it's coming from a violator smoking on their balcony. No way to know for sure, but it's been brief and very few times.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:01 PM, Real NHDOC said:

I’ve seen complaints from random posts about smelling smoke on those rear facing verandas. Either cigarette smoke from the seaview bar on deck 9 or exhaust smoke that gets drawn back against the back of the ship. Some have even said that you sometimes get soot on the veranda and furniture from the ship exhaust. Has anyone here experienced any issues like that?

I can say that at no time have we smelled smoke on our aft verandah...nor seen soot.  Have sailed afts on HAL and RCCL.  both were clean and fresh at all times

• Like 1

That cabin looks great!  Can you tell me if you get any sun on the balcony?  We are cruising in May to Norway and trying to decide between an aft facing cabin on deck 6 or 8. 

On 1/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, kimkencruzers said:

Random question: is there a way to hear the announcements out on the balcony or in the cabin? Seems like a great place to watch the fjords and awesome views but I couldn’t see a way on my last cruise to hear the announcements and I’m assuming they will have some naturalists on board in Norway/iceland?

We had that issue in Fjordland National Park in New Zealand.  The only solution we came up with was to turn the volume on the TV bow cam up to that we could tell when they were making an announcement and we'd run back into the cabin to listen.  It was loud enough to tell when they were talking, but not loud enough to understand what they were saying from the veranda.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:01 AM, Real NHDOC said:

We had an port-side aft corner suite on deck 6 on a 34-day transpacific cruise on Noordam.  This was directly below the smoking section on the Lido (deck 9). Three or four times we could smell cigarette in our cabin.  The smell persisted for about 5-10 minutes and then went away.  It wasn't overwhelming, but it was noticeable.  We never saw or smelled soot or ship exhaust.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:00 PM, Ksqrd said:

That cabin looks great!  Can you tell me if you get any sun on the balcony?  We are cruising in May to Norway and trying to decide between an aft facing cabin on deck 6 or 8. 

Very little to none due to the overhang from the lido/pool deck above.  Deck 6 might be a better option but I'm not one who can say for sure.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:35 AM, SuziCruises said:

Did you experience any noise from guests on the Lido deck above?

There was some significant chair scraping in the early morning from putting out the chairs. I’m an early riser so it didn’t bother me too much. Occasionally there are people moving chairs. Not a dealbreaker for me. Traffic in the hallway is practically nonexistent so that’s great. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:42 PM, melusina said:

Has anyone had an aft facing cabin on a transatlantic in April? We thought it might be too cold to enjoy sitting out.

Transatlantics in April can have some nice weather.  The aft verandah would give more protection from the wind I would think than a regular cabin on port or starboard.  I have one booked for my TA in October.

In general, I spend way more time on my balcony in colder weather than when it's hot. Snuggling up with my blanket watching the waves is so much more enjoyable to me than broiling in the heat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

In general, I spend way more time on my balcony in colder weather than when it's hot. Snuggling up with my blanket watching the waves is so much more enjoyable to me than broiling in the heat.

Does holland give blankets for the balcony in cold weather?

6 minutes ago, kimkencruzers said:

I know they do in Signature Suites. In a regular veranda you can tell your steward that you're chilly at night and they will bring you an extra blanket.😉

Edited by Sea42

6 minutes ago, kimkencruzers said:

Yes, they'll be in your cabin somewhere  - may be in the cabinets above the sofa (if you have one) or the bottom of the corner "dry bar" or even the drawers under the bed. If you don't find them, just ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, they'll be in your cabin somewhere  - may be in the cabinets above the sofa (if you have one) or the bottom of the corner "dry bar" or even the drawers under the bed. If you don't find them, just ask.

Good to know. I didn't find one in our cabin but I didn't look in the overhead cabinets!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Good to know. I didn't find one in our cabin but I didn't look in the overhead cabinets!

A very few will still have the blue plaid wool blankets (much warmer for cold itineraries such as AK); these will not be in a bag. Most will be blue & orange polyester blankets (less warm but softer) that are folded in clear plastic bags.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1