Need honest opinion of Avalon deluxe stateroom vs panoramic suite

WAshgirl

Hello,

We are looking to book an Avalon cruise in 2025 (Magnificent Rivers of Europe) and are looking at the huge price difference between the deluxe stateroom vs the panoramic suite. It would be about $5000 more to stay in the suite vs the deluxe stateroom so it’s a huge difference. Can anyone who has stayed in the deluxe stateroom give us their honest opinion of these rooms? Although we’d love to have the French balcony of the suite, this cruise is pricey and a big splurge for us even with the deluxe stateroom. I am looking at category D to get us more mid ship. We noticed the shower in the bathroom looks a bit small. How bad is it? For the $5000 we’d save booking this room, it seems like the most economical way to go. Thanks for any input before we make our choice!

The deluxe stateroom is affectionately called an aquarium class or swan class room. It has a long, high window that is just at the water level. It is never actually under water. I cruised in one of these for the 1st time on my Tulip Time cruise in April of this year. I did travel as a solo. There is obviously enough space for 1 person but I can’t speak to how it would feel with 2 people sharing. I’m a larger female and didn’t find the shower too small. It’s tight, but doable with some adjustments to where the shower head is directed. On river cruises (I’ve taken 3), I’m never in the cabin much except to sleep or get ready for the day. If I’m relaxing, reading a book, etc, I’m usually up in one of the lounges watching the scenery go buy. I book the cheapest cabin so I can take more vacations. 

I’m sure someone will chime in who has stayed in one of these with 2 people for their perspective. Good luck with your planning. 

• Like 1

The only reason we sail in the Panorama suites is because we like the ability to open the windows for fresh air when we are in the cabin. We always book the ones in category B to save costs (hey, it's an extra treat when we are out touring, or a couple of optional excursions 🙂). Of course, we also tour usually in May so the weather is nicer to have the windows open. We don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, but when we are in it (other than sleeping) we do have the window open. We've never been in the lower cabins, so can't talk about space.

We sailed on Avalon in submarine class a few years ago--for the same reason you are considering it.  We have also taken a recent river cruise on another line (Gate 1--on a former Avalon boat) where the upgrade to a French balcony was more affordable.  Of course, a room with a large window that opens is nicer than a room with a small window that does not.  Having said that, our cruise on Avalon was wonderful.  There are plenty of places on board to sit and look outside.  The rooms are otherwise more or less the same.  Also, even on our more recent cruise, we spent very little time in the room that was not spent sleeping or getting ready to go out.  

I have linked to my reviews for each cruise:

Avalon:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=536856

Gate 1:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=700778

If you are the sort of person that likes to use your room to sleep and shower, save yourself the money and book the cheaper room.  For me, I need to be able to open up the room and get the fresh air and I enjoy my space and peace while I see the scenery go by.  I need my quiet time and love the panoramic suites for that reason. 

Another cruise line you might consider is Viva-Cruises.  They are a newer line, their prices are more reasonable and their boats are nice.  They are also all inclusive from drinks to tours.  Search them on YouTube for some reviews.

• Like 1

We had the exact dilemma planning our recently completed Christmas Market cruise on Avalon.  Our first cruise years ago was in a Panorama Suite with the French Balcony.  That cruise was also a Christmas Markets cruise, and we opened the French doors twice in 5 days.

This cruise we saved money and went with the lower deck / small windows and are glad we did.  As earlier posts have suggested, there are plenty of places to look outside, including our favorite place on the ship:  the Club Lounge in the aft.  IMO:  save your money!

• Like 1

This is a bit late, but wanted to say we have stayed in both categories, so were able to directly compare.  We decided that we would never pay for the upgrade again.  The size difference of the room is minimal, we didn't even notice it.  We spent so little time in the room, and any "down' time was spent up on deck or in one of the lounges.  Avalon has wonderful spaces to relax in.  We would rather spend the money for special excursions, and you can do several for the money you save.  

Good luck with your choice!  I do hope it is a wonderful cruise!  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

This is a bit late, but wanted to say we have stayed in both categories, so were able to directly compare.  We decided that we would never pay for the upgrade again.  The size difference of the room is minimal, we didn't even notice it.  We spent so little time in the room, and any "down' time was spent up on deck or in one of the lounges.  Avalon has wonderful spaces to relax in.  We would rather spend the money for special excursions, and you can do several for the money you save.  

Good luck with your choice!  I do hope it is a wonderful cruise!  

That is exactly what we are thinking! More money for shopping etc. Can’t wait for June 2025😊

Thank you OP for asking this question! I am currently trying to arrange a trip with 3 of my siblings and their spouses. Some siblings are tighter with their money than others and it really helps to have this thread to refer them to.

@Tudy, as long as those who aren't comfortable spending the extra for the above ground cabin are ok without fresh air (and don't worry, each cabin has excellent air flow, they just can't open windows), they will be fine in the lower cabins. Going as a group, you will want to meet in the lounges and or decks to view the scenery as you get together, not sitting in your cabin.

Also, the cabins closest to the stern on the mid level are identical to those closer to the bow or on the 3rd level...and at a better price if they wish to look at them.  Our first cruise, we booked the cabin right at the "end" of that class (Cat B) which was right beside the first one in Cat A but at a $500.00/person difference!  We spend our savings on the optional excursions. 🙂

3 hours ago, Tudy said:

Thank you OP for asking this question! I am currently trying to arrange a trip with 3 of my siblings and their spouses. Some siblings are tighter with their money than others and it really helps to have this thread to refer them to.

You’re welcome! We booked a category D. It was $5346 less than category B. Maybe one day will splurge on a higher level room, but for our first trip, we just can’t justify the extra expense. We still have airfare to pay for, so the saved money will come in handy for that! Really looking forward to our cruise in 2025!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

With Avalon, I think all the Pano Suites are probably very close in size with the exception of the Royal Suites which always get snapped right up.  A Royal Suite is lovely for two people but horrendously expensive.  But my husband preferred to relax in the cabin instead of the lounges, so it worked out well for us.  Next week I'm in a regular pano suite solo and I'll report back on the differences.