Staying overnight onboard Celebrity Edge in Sydney Harbour

Has anyone stayed aboard overnight in Sydney Harbour?Ā  We are looking at a Celebrity Edge cruise and it ends in Sydney with guests having one day and one night onboard before disembarking.Ā  It is a Saturday night so could you expect quite a bit of noise from the nightclubs, and restaurants around the Opera House?Ā  How late do the ferries run?Ā  Would they have a time you have to be back on board or could you stay out exploring Sydney as long as you like?Ā  Would just like to hear of other's experiences.Ā  Thanks

Our first cruise back after covid was on the Coral Princess and we were overnight at the OPT.Ā  Ā If you are in a cabin overlooking the Opera House - glorious view.Ā  We weren't expecting it (weather up north was a little wild) so Captain decided to spend the night in Sydney.Ā  Don't recall there was much noise from the restaurants around the Opera House or even from the ferries but the area lighted up at night was simply beautiful.Ā  I am sure there was no expected time to be on board for the night.Ā  We were fairly tired from exploring Sydney during the day, so we stayed on board for the evening.Ā  A truly memorable stay.

• Like 1

I haven't overnighterd on board in Sydney but have elsewhere, there was no curfew but obviously a reduced staff and security to get back aboard after 11pm.

As for the quay area at night, it is not that loud but you do get some sound that travels over the water and also down from the rocks. I doubt you would hear it from your cabin though.

• Like 1

We had an overnight at OPT on Diamond Princess a few years ago before departing Sydney. We didn't go off the ship during the evening but came back onboard late afternoon and then the next morning visited The Rocks' market before boarding again. I can't remember there being any extra noise during the night. We spent the evening on our balcony watching over to the Opera House/Mrs Macquarie's Point where there was an opera event outdoors. Aida if I remember correctly.Ā 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Has anyone stayed aboard overnight in Sydney Harbour?Ā  We are looking at a Celebrity Edge cruise and it ends in Sydney with guests having one day and one night onboard before disembarking.Ā  It is a Saturday night so could you expect quite a bit of noise from the nightclubs, and restaurants around the Opera House?Ā  How late do the ferries run?Ā  Would they have a time you have to be back on board or could you stay out exploring Sydney as long as you like?Ā  Would just like to hear of other's experiences.Ā  Thanks

24th/25th February?

On the 24th, you will arrive to anchor anchor at Athol Buoy and will be there till 9pm. The animals nearby at Taronga Zoo might raise a racket, but are usually well behaved after dark. During the day, the ship tenders will shuttle back and forth between the ship and Man O'war steps at the Opera House.

Ā 

Between 9 and 10pm, Edge will transfer over to the passenger terminal. I don't know what hours the ship will allow you to come and go. If you are on starboard, you might catch a bit of sound from the pubs in the Rocks. On port, you will get the 3 toots of the reversing ferries. On a Saturday night, there are a few services that run till just after midnight.

Ā 

We have stayed in the Quay Grand, on the opposite side of Circular Quay from the passenger terminal, a few times and never had an issue with noise from the ferries. Certainly not enough noise to prevent a good nights sleep. From the overnight ports we have done, it was the ship that was loud. In the days of the gangway "ding", the number of crew heading off the ship to head for a few hours at an Irish Pub would keep anyone with a balcony on that side of the ship wide awake till 2am. Not an issue now, as scanning on/off the ship is a much quieter affair.

13 hours ago, Rassa said:

Our first cruise back after covid was on the Coral Princess and we were overnight at the OPT.Ā  Ā If you are in a cabin overlooking the Opera House - glorious view.Ā  We weren't expecting it (weather up north was a little wild) so Captain decided to spend the night in Sydney.Ā  Don't recall there was much noise from the restaurants around the Opera House or even from the ferries but the area lighted up at night was simply beautiful.Ā  I am sure there was no expected time to be on board for the night.Ā  We were fairly tired from exploring Sydney during the day, so we stayed on board for the evening.Ā  A truly memorable stay.

We were on that cruise too. There were no disturbances overnight. I'm fairly certain you could go ashore in the evening and there was no "curfew" but we didn't bother. Although we live in Sydney we really enjoyed the experience of overnighting at the OPT. Best "hotel" in the city!Ā  šŸ¤£

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were on that cruise too. There were no disturbances overnight. I'm fairly certain you could go ashore in the evening and there was no "curfew" but we didn't bother. Although we live in Sydney we really enjoyed the experience of overnighting at the OPT. Best "hotel" in the city!Ā  šŸ¤£

I enjoyed that experience too and had great night time views of the Opera House and the ferries from my balcony! šŸ˜Š

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Although we live in Sydney we really enjoyed the experience of overnighting at the OPT. Best "hotel" in the city!Ā  šŸ¤£

Hahaha, we overnighted in Auckland one time, and although we lived there at the time, and I could see my office building from the cabin balcony šŸ„“, we had a wonderful day, just doing tourist stuff and coming and going from the ship for decent meals šŸ½Ā 

• Like 1