Shade on the Apex pool deck

barbels

We are thinking about booking on the Apex.  This would be our first cruise on an E class ship.  It's already a compromise for us because we don't think we'll love the so-called balcony cabins.  I've been looking at pictures of the outdoor decks and am concerned that there seem to be very few shaded areas except of course for the high cost cabanas.  I hope I'm wrong.  Can experienced Edge class cruisers please weigh in.  Thanks

Chances are you will like (if not love) the IV.   We felt the same way you do after booking and then hearing the negativity surrounding the IV.   Don't be discouraged.  We found we loved the open feel the IV gives to your room.   Keep an open mind and judge for yourself.   You will find some shade about the pool.  Of course depends on the weather and time of day.   Keep in mind there is also the solarium which will always be "shaded"    You will enjoy your cruise. 

Hi.  We are not fans of the big window cabins (infinite veranda).  There is some covered shaded areas but not a lot.  We found a covered area outside the ocean view by the ladies room.  There is also the solarium which is covered.  We have been on the Edge, Apex and Beyond.  We now book the Retreat so we have a "real" balcony.  

We did a b/2/b on the Apex last year- My DH has had multile skin CA's and cannot be in the sun.  We did find some shaded spots on the ship on the Suite deck.  However you should get up early as they are limited.  I heard the newer ships have more shaded areas.  

Enjoy your cruise.