Double medical evacuations on Majestic

First one was late yesterday after leaving Picton. Ship turned around and headed back to Picton and passenger evacuated by tender.

Then this morning we had to leave our cabin at 5.00am as a passenger was to be evacuated by helicopter. I spoke briefly to an officer about the lack of a helipad. He said they were going to winch the passenger off.

It was blowing a gale.

The whole operation took about two hours. The captain said it was an extremely difficult operation. We had wind gusts up to 73 knots. About 140 kph. Hurricane force.

The helicopter pilot did an amazing job.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TommyH2006 said:

First one was late yesterday after leaving Picton. Ship turned around and headed back to Picton and passenger evacuated by tender.

Then this morning we had to leave our cabin at 5.00am as a passenger was to be evacuated by helicopter. I spoke briefly to an officer about the lack of a helipad. He said they were going to winch the passenger off.

It was blowing a gale.

The whole operation took about two hours. The captain said it was an extremely difficult operation. We had wind gusts up to 73 knots. About 140 kph. Hurricane force.

The helicopter pilot did an amazing job.

Wow. Pretty scary for the passenger.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TommyH2006 said:

They evacuate the top decks for some reason.

Maybe in case of an accident?

Meaning you are on top deck? We’re on lido L103in March 24, it’s right at the front. Do you mean the whole deck etc

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When we have been on ships where there is a helicopter evacuation, they have evacuated the aft part of the ship. Of course it is as a precaution in case of an accident.

Which is certainly a good safety measure 🥺

• Like 1

On our 2012 Round Aust cruise, woke up about 5:30 turn on the TV, an the cruise screen showed us heading back towards Perth, I thought that's strange, flicked over to live cam, just in time to see a military helicopter past the bow, Hil & I dressed and caught the lift up from deck 9 to 14, stepped out from the lift only to be herded back in, but not before we seen a large navel ship quite near along side, now we were both thinking what that!

Back down to level 7, nobody there! head forward take lift to 14  again, every body awake it there.

What's going on?? Guy near me tells us an emergency evac is taking place.

God what a relief, I thought we had been attacked by terrorists.

Yep they had evacuated decks 12, 11, and 10, as a precaution of the helicopter crashing on the deck.

This whole thing had been going on for about an hour, an we had been left to sleep peacefully the whole time.

Took a several hours for my heart to settle down from the terror images I was having.🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

On our 2012 Round Aust cruise, woke up about 5:30 turn on the TV, an the cruise screen showed us heading back towards Perth, I thought that's strange, flicked over to live cam, just in time to see a military helicopter past the bow, Hil & I dressed and caught the lift up from deck 9 to 14, stepped out from the lift only to be herded back in, but not before we seen a large navel ship quite near along side, now we were both thinking what that!

Back down to level 7, nobody there! head forward take lift to 14  again, every body awake it there.

What's going on?? Guy near me tells us an emergency evac is taking place.

God what a relief, I thought we had been attacked by terrorists.

Yep they had evacuated decks 12, 11, and 10, as a precaution of the helicopter crashing on the deck.

This whole thing had been going on for about an hour, an we had been left to sleep peacefully the whole time.

Took a several hours for my heart to settle down from the terror images I was having.🤣

Sounds like you watch as many action movies as us 😁😁😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Sounds like you watch as many action movies as us 😁😁😁

At the time what came to mind was the Achille Lauro attack.

I truly did get concerned.😬 Bit ridiculous actually we in Australian waters, but sometimes your mind does get overly imaginative.

• Haha 2

On the Majestic last February (I think 🤔) when we had to return to Suva around 8 hours out. Apparently Fiji authorities don't have a helicopter with a winch (?)  and Majestic doesn't have a helipad. Meant 6 days continuous at sea. Nearly put me off cruising. Of course minor inconvenience compared to the poor person who was ill and who I believe succumbed to their condition.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:17 AM, Galesa said:

On the Majestic last February (I think 🤔) when we had to return to Suva around 8 hours out. Apparently Fiji authorities don't have a helicopter with a winch (?)  and Majestic doesn't have a helipad. Meant 6 days continuous at sea. Nearly put me off cruising. Of course minor inconvenience compared to the poor person who was ill and who I believe succumbed to their condition.

Yes. It was last February.

We were on that cruise as well.

On 12/31/2023 at 4:08 PM, Cbtours said:

It’ll be out first time on majestic and never had a front cabin before! Were will to put up with the obstruction fir fantastic price 😁

Just recently we were in L101, crossing from NZ to SYD.  We loved the big balcony and cabin. Very spacious and so convenient.  Would book again in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

Just now, lovedecruise said:

Just recently we were in L101, crossing from NZ to SYD.  We loved the big balcony and cabin. Very spacious and so convenient.  Would book again in a heartbeat.

Thanks. Awesome to know. Today we received our offer to upgrade and it’s a definite no to that 😁

Posted (edited)

Just got off the ship yesterday, were on L102 and yes, will book these again in a heartbeat too, such a big balcony, perfect for kids without the fear of falling down. You have to sit straight or stand up to see the sea (compared to a glass balcony) but that is the only small trade off in my opinion

Edited by ozcruizier
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ozcruizier said:

Just got off the ship yesterday, were on L102 and yes, will book these again in a heartbeat too, such a big balcony, perfect for kids without the fear of falling down. You have to sit straight or stand up to see the sea (compared to a glass balcony) but that is the only small trade off in my opinion

Great. Can’t wait. The fact of doing 6 port days is going to be great I presume for both arrival and leaving.

🥰🥰🥰