No.4 Carlton Hotel in Southampton- Has anyone stayed there pre-cruise?

nini

I don't know that hotel, but it's a five to ten minute walk from the civic offices (plus art gallery plus SeaCity museum) and the northern end of the main post-war shopping street called "Above Bar".

Above Bar leads south to the historic Bargate, through which you pass from the modern city into  the walled old-town. Much of the old city wall remains, as do some historic buildings such as the Tudor Merchant's House, but the city centre was heavily blitzed in 1941 - hence the city centre's migration to Above Bar 

Carlton Place was developed during the 19th century to house the city's gentry, but over the years converted to professional offices - architects, lawyers, accountants etc. Nearby Bedford Place is busy with restaurants etc, mainly at the budget end

No, not as convenient as the Moxy, but not seriously inconvenient, and short taxi ride to any cruise terminal.

Here's a precis of the city centre's hotels. Unlike No 4 Carlton they're mainly large modern cloned national & international brands

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

No 4 Carlton is just off the thumbnail city centre map at the bottom of that page, between the blue numbers 13 & 14

JB 🙂

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have you looked at TripAdvisor?

Yes, the first place I looked. (my Go-To)

Typically, I look for the words to single out the posts. There were none that stated "cruise", "pre-cruise", "port", etc.

Edited by nini

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

I don't know that hotel, but it's a five to ten minute walk from the civic offices (plus art gallery plus SeaCity museum) and the northern end of the main post-war shopping street called "Above Bar".

Above Bar leads south to the historic Bargate, through which you pass from the modern city into  the walled old-town. Much of the old city wall remains, as do some historic buildings such as the Tudor Merchant's House, but the city centre was heavily blitzed in 1941 - hence the city centre's migration to Above Bar 

Carlton Place was developed during the 19th century to house the city's gentry, but over the years converted to professional offices - architects, lawyers, accountants etc. Nearby Bedford Place is busy with restaurants etc, mainly at the budget end

No, not as convenient as the Moxy, but not seriously inconvenient, and short taxi ride to any cruise terminal.

Here's a precis of the city centre's hotels. Unlike No 4 Carlton they're mainly large modern cloned national & international brands

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

No 4 Carlton is just off the thumbnail city centre map at the bottom of that page, between the blue numbers 13 & 14

JB 🙂

@John Bull Thank you so much for the information. The details and history are very helpful.