03/05 Dawn Cruise comments

AndrewM

Wonderfully written review! We were thinking of going to Paradise Beach but now having second thoughts.Or is it likely that pretty much all the Coz beaches have the same drawbacks?

Hi Trina, We were recommended to Playa Mia which is about 500ft south of Paradise Beach by crew and passengers of the Dawn but opted for Paradise as we had read good comments here on the boards. Considering Playa Mia's proximity to Paradise, I can't imagine it being much of an improvement. These looked to be the only west coast beaches that were functional when we were there.

As we had a rental car, we were able to escape to the East Coast beaches which were gorgeous and peaceful though likely a little too rough for most young children (not ours). I stayed within reach of them at all times as I had been warned of a strong undertow. Still the water was incredibly warm(as rough as it looks it was the only water I walked into the entire trip where I didn't have to adjust to the temperature before jumping in), clean and rock free. Unfortunately I didn't take photos of Paradise but here are some from Cozumel's east coast:

Janet hamming it up for me on Cozumel's east coast:

janetEastCoz.jpg

Locals enjoying the East Coast Cozumel coastline amongst the hurricane's aftermath:

localsEastCozumel.jpg

Family frolics on the East Coast of Cozumel:

familyEastCozumel.jpg

Were the trio "Best of Friends" still performing in the atrium? If so, what did you think of them?

Yes, "Best of Friends" performed in the Atrium nightly. Unfortunately, like Gatsby's it was not a venue that attracted me as there was too much traffic and distraction. As a result, I never really got to listen to Taylor Kundolf either. I do remember listening to "Best Of Friends" while we were having our formal night photos taken and thinking the sounds were very pleasant and relaxing though.

As a first time cruiser and scheduled to go out of NY on the Dawn in June, I was thrilled to read your review. Not only was it well written , it was informative, funny, and a joy to read. With all of the negative remarks on the board, it was great to read about your experiences- good & bad. I am no longer anxious about traveling on the Dawn. By the way, the kids photo was great!

Can you or anyone answer the following question- we are going to take a car into NY to get to the ship. What directions do we give the car as to where to go? a specific dock location, street address, what? Thank you

claimsgal

Thanks claimsgal, you know it was a real effort to come up with the bad of the good & bad but I forced myself to do so because I didn't want to appear like I was gushing.

We reluctantly parked at the pier as we were too lazy to take the train in at the last minute. If you take Hwy 9A in from the North, it will eventually turn into the West Side Highway. There are exit signs that appear around West 70s or 60s which indicate "Ship Terminal". Take the exit and join the lineup of vehicles. Dawn was at Pier 88 when we arrived. Not sure what the best route is from the south to get to the West Coast Highway. When we returned to pickup our car after a weekend in Manhattan, we told the taxi driver to take us to Pier 88 at 711 12th Avenue & 55th Street which is the official address of the passenger ship terminals.

What a wonderfully delightful review. Your writing was supreme. May I send you my notes and will you write a review for me??

LOL. I fear I would turn it into an entirely different trip and skewer your memories! But I must say I'm flattered at the offer! thanks, andrew.

I was particularly interested in the non-US citizens situation when it comes to disembarking in NYC. From what you say, we can now leave the ship as "normal" passengers then pass through immigration? If this is the case, this is a big plus.

Not exactly "normal passengers" but more normal in my opinion. We are denied Express Disembarkation. In the disembarkation document we received the final sea day, it said all Non-US residents had to be off the ship by 10:30AM. We were the last Non-US residents called (11thFloor-Blue) and didn't get off til around 12:30PM. Our passports were returned to us as we exited the Atrium via the gangplank. When we stepped off, US passengers were sent on their merry way whereas Non US passengers were sent to the right to go through customs. We arrived at our Manhattan Hotel by 2PM.

Andrew and Janet, Glad to hear you are home safe and sound. I watched the St. Patrick's Day parade on TV and thought of you four on the streets of NY. I still laugh when I think of my friendship with the lady with the cap and dark glasses and her friend, who were your least favorite passengers. We sure had a blast on that last night at the Fort Knox machines. It was a pleasure sharing this cruise with you guys, you will also be listed as some of our favorite passengers. Thank you for not sharing my episode with the jacuzzi!! When I started to read your review, I had visions of you repeating some of the laughs we shared. Horrors!!! Instead, I greatly enjoyed reading your musings, echoing your personalities. Fun loving and highly observant. Eileen

Yes, that blew me away when you said your farewell to our "least favorite passenger". It's not like we didn't make an effort to warm things over. I did say hello to her in the elevator but she ignored me. I don't think she could forgive us for sabotaging her penny slot.

And that was a hilarious jacuzzi story too but I always keep my word...and boy do you have some fantastic inside scoop stories up your sleeve!

AndrewM ~

Well written review.

Enjoyed every minute of your cruise!

Was the perfume "Lolita Limpecka"????

I just want to "live" on the Dawn:)

Thanks! I think it was J'Adore?? I don't think I've heard of the one you mentioned around our house.

Great review.

I guess this proves forever than the age groupings at kids crew are non negotitable.

As for where to go, here's a Google satellite/map photo of the NYC piers.

NCLpierNYC.jpg

You should be able to find Freeway 9 on any NYC map.

• 1 month later...

Andrew, Thank you for one of the best reads on the boards!!! So informative and positive. How nice of you to share your experiences and your family with us. When I grow up, I want to write just like you:D. Would you consider moving to the states and running for office??? (just kidding:o ) Wonderful job, please visit these boards more often.....you're a valued contributer:) :)

Thank you, Andrew for such a wonderful, entertaining and informative review. My husband and I leave tomorrow (May 20th) for our first ever cruise. I am now more excited than ever. I especially liked the format of your review (fav/least fav) as it never seemed you were complaining about anything when you expressed a least favorite. On behalf of all first time NCL cruisers who have read the most horrible reviews are feeling nervous --- THANK YOU!:)

Daisydu: I got off the Dawn on 4/26. I can tell you I was very nervous going into this cruise that it wouldn't be as good as it was when we went in 8/04. The reviews that I was reading suggested that the food had gone downhill and things weren't run as well as they were before. Please, please don't waste any emotional energy worrying about a bad cruise. Both the food and service were wonderful. Different, but wonderful. In some ways the food was better and the entertainment in all venues is not to be missed. That's hard to do because sometimes there will be more than one thing going on at a time. Try to spend some time catching some of the entertainment in some of the smaller venues. The shows in the Stardust Theatre are excellent but so are some of the entertainers in the piano bars and atrium. A cruise is what you make of it. Go with attitude that you're gonna have a blast but realize that you're learning for your next cruise. Because there will be a next cruise. Bon voyage, have a great trip and let us know what you thought.

Daisydu: I got off the Dawn on 4/26. I can tell you I was very nervous going into this cruise that it wouldn't be as good as it was when we went in 8/04. The reviews that I was reading suggested that the food had gone downhill and things weren't run as well as they were before. Please, please don't waste any emotional energy worrying about a bad cruise. Both the food and service were wonderful. Different, but wonderful. In some ways the food was better and the entertainment in all venues is not to be missed. That's hard to do because sometimes there will be more than one thing going on at a time. Try to spend some time catching some of the entertainment in some of the smaller venues. The shows in the Stardust Theatre are excellent but so are some of the entertainers in the piano bars and atrium. A cruise is what you make of it. Go with attitude that you're gonna have a blast but realize that you're learning for your next cruise. Because there will be a next cruise. Bon voyage, have a great trip and let us know what you thought.

thank you! we fully intend to have a wonderful time. Am wasting no energy with negatives -- no time for that. Will post a reveiw when we return next weekend. :cool:

Andrew,

I am going to completely COPY your review format when I return from my 5/27 - 6/3 Dawn cruise. I'm going to be on the lookout for the best "public sighting I wish I'd missed"!

Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Hi Andrew,

What a great review. It was so great meeting you and your family on the cruise. Our pictures are almost done!!!

Lisa and Patrick (bargain hunters)

Hey Lisa and Patrick, was I the impetus to get you to subscribe to cruisecritic?! You wouldn't believe how much of those bargain tips you offered me that I've discussed with Janet since we got back...we're seriously thinking about taking a similar trip like you did to Costa Rica now. I hope you'll share some of your suggestions with the group because I've never met anyone on all my travels who has so many good cost saving tips. Let me know when your photos are up! BTW, Myfanwy still talks about Angus. andrew.

I have my photos on webshots if anyone is interested:

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=549447856

I'd like to address all the kind comments by all the people who've posted this thread one by one but I'm not sure I could put it into words how flattered I am. I'm truly overwhelmed by it all..thanks very much!

Andrew, Thank you for one of the best reads on the boards!!! So informative and positive. How nice of you to share your experiences and your family with us. When I grow up, I want to write just like you:D. Would you consider moving to the states and running for office??? (just kidding:o ) Wonderful job, please visit these boards more often.....you're a valued contributer:) :)

You're incredibly kind..you have some great photos there..the Great Stirrup Cay pics are bringing back some nice memories for me..man that was a great day. But anyone who knows me in real life knows that the last thing I should get involved with is politics! cheers, andrew.

Love your review! hilarious! What a good read! Best one I've ever read on these boarsds to date! :) BTW are you a journalist?

Wow! No I'm not but that's encouragement enough to not keep me away from the keyboard..thank you again!

Archived