Transportation from anchorage to Whittier (wheelchair accessible)

EP23

Posted (edited)

First time cruiser and also first time using princess. And I am already thinking this cruise going to be a lot of chaotic issues. 

I am planing our boarding day at Whittier for the Alaska south bound cruise to Vancouver on Aug 3rd. On the personzier, i saw a transfer option pre cruise for $59 per person either from airport or coach. And I also know the train run at 9:30 am at anchorage to Whittier on same day as well, but princess does not seem to offer the train as one of their transportation or excursion online. 

So I called princess to ask if they know how often the transfer run from anchorage airport or hotel to Whittier? And what is their rough time schedule like? Are they wheelchair accessible (since husband is paralyzed), they answered me they don’t have access to the information…..so I asked if there a bus company running that transfer I can call to get the information? He said he does not have access to that…..

Then I ask if princess has package for the train ride to Whittier as their transfer or excursions before the cruise. I said I wouldn’t find that information on the personizer.
First he told me to check with princess AFTER the boarding. 😂 so I asked “ you mean I should ask princess about the train rail to the port AFTER I already board the princess cruise? Then he told me he needs assistance to get the answer. And back after 3 minutes he told me to just book with the Alaska railroad directly instead. 

Since I read about the railroad will ship our luggage directly at the check in at anchorage to our room on princess cruise, if we book directly with the railroad, how the luggage transfer be done? 

Representative seems to have no experience or knowledge of the cruise or transport. Keep refer me to the website, which I wouldnt see or find the information I need, that’s why the call. 

I am needing some help planning my transfer from anchorage to Whittier and want to have a few options available since we may have a group of 8 people and some may want different way to get there. 

I know the Alaska railroad have transfer bus and cost $75 and is wheelchair accessible and only run at 3 pm that day. 

And other vendor that I contacted ( those some included tour to wildlife center and the glacier), there are not wheelchair accessible but they have a lot of options so if other group want to do that, it will be fine. 

I also check out the railroad options as well, is it true princess does not sell transfer package ? I can definitely book the train myself as well, but not sure if it is easier for the check in and boarding process if we buy the train ride ticket form princess. And they run at 9:30am and arrive at 12:15 ish.

Now I would also like to know the one princess mentioned on their website site, while the representative said “dont have access to info”, what time they run that shuttle? And how often? Cause it seems to be the cheapest options compare to the third part bus and train ride. 

Also, who should we talk to for the princess cruise to get help. Their associates answering the phone seem to only know a very little about specific details about the cruise itself… 

Thank you for all the help in advance. 

Edited by EP23
Typo

First, I am so sorry that you are finding that the Princess 'help' or call center is NOT always helpful.

Many here should be more familiar with the Princess bus transfers to the ship.

Do they not offer a pre-cruise hotel and transfer package.

With this, yes, the coach would pick you up right at your hotel, and there should be assistance available.

They will generally pick up after late-morning or after noon.    (So, no early boarding)

I am thinking that their busses have picked up departures and are bringing them back to Anchorage that morning.  

I do hope that some of the trusted posters here can offer you some good info and recommendations!

Your best bet is to use the Princess bus transfer to the ship.  They are wheelchair accessible.  They leave from the airport and I believe the Captain Cook hotel.

The early train has nothing to do with Princess. It’s run by the railroad and leaves from the train station near downtown.  I am sure they have wheelchair access but you should call the railroad direct.