Risiera San Sabba (Trieste) - Transportation Options

Travel R

Hi fellow travelers:

We will be in Trieste prior to departing on our cruise. As such, we are thinking about visiting the Risiera San Sabba that morning.

For those that have visited - is it worth going?

As to transportation: We will not have a car (arriving in Trieste the day before via train).  We are planning on taking a cab to the site, but worried about getting transportation back (and would rather not take the bus, which may take too long (I have already found the route)).  Is there a cab/taxi app in Trieste that will work? (I know that they do not have Uber, Lift, etc. in that city). Any other suggestions for transportation to and from?

Thank you,

TravelR

I have not been to Risiera San Sabba but I have visited concentration and extermination camps in other countries.  Whether to go or not is an extremely personal decision, I have found these visits very moving, but also depressing, anger inducing, and sometimes just full of despair.  

As for the taxi, I would either ask the driver who takes you there for his card so you can call him for the return, or I would ask an employee at the museum to call a cab for you when you are ready to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I have not been to Risiera San Sabba but I have visited concentration and extermination camps in other countries.  Whether to go or not is an extremely personal decision, I have found these visits very moving, but also depressing, anger inducing, and sometimes just full of despair.  

As for the taxi, I would either ask the driver who takes you there for his card so you can call him for the return, or I would ask an employee at the museum to call a cab for you when you are ready to leave.

Moving and depressing is an understatement.

We thought about asking the driver for their card (experience has shown that many will offer it to you anyway), but did not think about asking the museum staff.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2024 at 3:49 PM, Travel R said:

to see if anyone that has visited Risiera San Sabba can provide some answers

Have not done this, but suggesting a few options.  Ffirstly,  you could contact the monument directly, either via SM, or e-mail if they have an address and ask about taxis.  Or, have you read any online reviews such as those on Tripadvisor as there may be some information to be found there. Or ask on the relevant Tripadvisor forum, where your question may have already been asked and answered. Alternatively,  contact the official Trieste Tourist Information Office where staff should be able to advise.

Hopefully one or two of these suggestions will get you the information you would like.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:12 AM, edinburgher said:

Have not done this, but suggesting a few options.  Ffirstly,  you could contact the monument directly, either via SM, or e-mail if they have an address and ask about taxis.  Or, have you read any online reviews such as those on Tripadvisor as there may be some information to be found there. Or ask on the relevant Tripadvisor forum, where your question may have already been asked and answered. Alternatively,  contact the official Trieste Tourist Information Office where staff should be able to advise.

Hopefully one or two of these suggestions will get you the information you would like.

I've tried a few of your suggestions.  The museum responded with information about the bus (which I knew about),  Have not found any information other than the bus and walking on TripAdvisor or any other site - most of the information is about the site itself.  One suggestion I have not done is to post my question on TripAdvisor (I figured posting it here would have provided the answers).

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Travel R said:

I've tried a few of your suggestions.  The museum responded with information about the bus (which I knew about),  Have not found any information other than the bus and walking on TripAdvisor or any other site - most of the information is about the site itself.  One suggestion I have not done is to post my question on TripAdvisor (I figured posting it here would have provided the answers).

Thanks!

Keep in mind that ships only started calling in to Trieste a couple of years ago when Venice regulations changed. I think many cruisers still spend their time preferentially in Venice pre- or post-cruise.

I agree you might have better luck asking on TripAdvisor.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Travel R said:

've tried a few of your suggestions.  The museum responded with information about the bus (which I knew about),  Have not found any information other than the bus and walking on TripAdvisor or any other site - most of the information is about the site itself.  One suggestion I have not done is to post my question on TripAdvisor (I figured posting it here would have provided the answers).

Thanks!

Sorry you didn't get any furher info despite your efforts. I would still consider contacting the local Tourist Information Office where it is hoped you could get additional information. (and the  Tripavisor forum where you may not even need to post if your question has already been asked and answered.)

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:16 PM, edinburgher said:

Sorry you didn't get any furher info despite your efforts. I would still consider contacting the local Tourist Information Office where it is hoped you could get additional information. (and the  Tripavisor forum where you may not even need to post if your question has already been asked and answered.)

Thanks - I did not think about the Tourist Info Office.  Been offline the last day or so, will try to post to TripAdvisor tomorrow.  If I find out any info, I will post it here (for anyone else on CC that might have the same question).

• Like 1