Carnival Horizon Quick Review (Mostly food Pictures)

Ideb

Posted (edited)

I'm interrupting the food pics to share our strange experience in La Romana. We didn't have an excursion for this port and had planned on just staying in the port area since it has a nice pool. When the ship docked we could see this little train ride coming and going and decided to find out more about it. When you walk through the port area there is a place that goes outside of it to a window where you can pay to ride the train. It is actually a Carnival excursion. It cost $24.99 per person to ride but the man gave the people ahead of us a small group discount so I asked him if could do any kind of discount for our group of 4 people. I didn't expect to get one but he only charged us for 3 people. The charge went to my sail and sign card.

There were 2 trains running so we only waited a short time for one to come back so we could board. A worker rode hanging on the side of one of the train cars and there were 2 policeman on a motorcycle that followed us once we got outside the port area. As we were going down the first rode people kept walking along the side of the train holding out necklaces and boxes of cigars trying to sell them. I was thinking that the police should have been stopping this but they didn't say anything to them.

We kept going on the train and went onto a 4 lane divided road. It looked like a highway but went into the city so I suppose it was a busy city street. We were going probably about as fast as the train could go to keep up with traffic. I'd say around 30 mph. People on motorcycles started driving up next to the train trying to sell cigars, jewelry and bottled water. I don't think anyone bought anything. I don't know how you would even know how much to pay them when driving along so fast. They could easily get your money and drive off without giving you the product.

The tour went around a few blocks in the city. There wasn't much to see but it was kind of neat to see the city. When we came back to the road leading up to the port the train abruptly stopped. There was no announcement about why we stopped. The man riding on the side of the train got off and just stood there. The two policemen on the motorcycle stopped and starting videotaping us with their cell phones. It was kind of unnerving. We weren't sure what was happening. Finally after a few minutes they went on to the port.

If anyone has done this train ride, I'd like to hear your experience and if this happened to you.

tain 1.jpg

train 2.jpg

Edited by Ideb

4 hours ago, Ideb said:

The mac and cheese is the best thing at Pig and Anchor. I wish it was served inside the restaurant instead of walking up to the window out outside. It was cold, rainy and windy the second time I went and none of the food was really warm but I devoured the mac and cheese anyway.

I was on the Panorama last sept and I ate the mac & cheese on many occasions. That and the coleslaw were my favorites.

Since we had the Christmas Gala Dinner the first formal night, we only had one actual formal night menu. Pictured: My favorite seeded bread. This was the only night it was served in the mdr. Also, crawfish fettuccine, lobster tails, creme brulee.

20231229_174845.jpg

20231229_180926.jpg

20231229_182627.jpg

20231229_182612.jpg

20231229_185714.jpg

• Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing these. We are on the Horizon doing exactly the same cruise in April so these pics have helped to whet our appetites! Coming from the UK, we are always amazed at how large the food servings are on US cruise ships and it's not unknown to see some people eat two main courses at dinner! I'm really looking forward to it now!

9 minutes ago, vwgolf2 said:

Coming from the UK, we are always amazed at how large the food servings are on US cruise ships and it's not unknown to see some people eat two main courses at dinner! I'm really looking forward to it now!

I thought the portions in the photos look rather small. Kind of like MSC portions.

And, yeah, our family can pack away multiple appetizers, entrees and even desserts each.  Of course, since Carnival charges for the 3rd plus entree, we'll limit ourselves to 2 max.