Spammy-looking 24 hours to sail text. They really need to do better.

CruiseMrB

Received this text from 89361 at 9:00 am this morning for a cruise tomorrow:

Important - Celebrity Ascent sailing January 7, 2024
Secure Message: Start your v... https://evb.gg/n#qok22s1gc3v/0cSRUggN or
Reply with YES to confirm receipt.

That looks as spammy as it gets! I did open up the link, but only in a Linux Virtual Machine instance I keep just for these kind of things. I did not confirm as requested even in the VM as nothing said or looked like Celebrity. It's probably OK, but I'm only 70% sure it's legit and that's not enough for me to click or respond YES. If I didn't have the VM set up, there is no way I would have checked that far.

The link opened up a generic Everbridge secure messaging app with some pretty standard text.

Yes, it's probably fine, and yes, it's probably Celebrity, but this set off alarm bells. They need to do a much better job than this. BTW, I have a call-back into Celebrity to confirm that this is their text. So it's gonna cost them time and money for not doing a better job.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

What did the link say?   What was the point of it? 

It's a confirmation message asking if you are really really going on the cruise (not in those words). Very similar to what a lot of medical offices are doing these days. You click on a Confirm button.

Important - Celebrity Ascent sailing January 7, 2024

Secure Message: Start your vacation off right tomorrow by arriving within your selected arrival window with online check-in complete. Also, allow time for traffic delays on your way to Port Everglades and follow digital signage on your way to the terminal. Edited by CruiseMrB

I get the point re: the link, but having a specific cruise booked is a bit of specific knowledge that only you know.  My dentist and doctor texts come from a third party platform, too, and not their regular website address. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

Travel Agent says it's not them, so it IS spam.

No it is not. Everbridge is a system widely used to send out alerts and communication. I’ve received them from Celebrity since as far back as 2017. If there is a boarding delay, excessive traffic due to events in the area, weather, etc you will receive these. If these sporadic issues came up without warning from Celebrity people would also complain since so many people need extra hand holding. 

Edited by paulh84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

No it is not. Everbridge is a system widely used to send out alerts and communication. I’ve received them from Celebrity since as far back as 2017. 

Interesting as the OP states Celebrity says it was not from them and their TA says it was not from them.  I've been cruising Celebrity since 2021 and don't recall receiving such a text.   Boarding the Apex in a couple of weeks, will see if I get something. 

Both DH and I received one of these texts before two of our cruises in the past year. They were definitely from Celebrity - we don't use a TA - and I agree that they're terribly done. 

We did not get one for our Ascent cruise two weeks ago but there were pings and messages on the app. 

43 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Interesting as the OP states Celebrity says it was not from them and their TA says it was not from them.  I've been cruising Celebrity since 2021 and don't recall receiving such a text.   Boarding the Apex in a couple of weeks, will see if I get something. 

They will use whenever they have on file. You may not receive one at all if it’s not necessary. I don’t have a test that old but this is from 2017…

IMG_2015.jpeg

• Thanks 1