Teguila tour recommendations??

SRQMom

We are on NCL Pearl Feb 14.  Stop in Cozumel until 8pm so plenty of time to do a nice excursion.  We'd love to tour a Tequila factory (similar to whiskey distillery/wineries for wine, etc).  Or a combo jeep tour with a simple Tequila tasting and maybe food.  The excursions offered thru NCL have a Taco & Tequila excursion that looks ok, but hoping to find recommendations that seem a bit more fun.  Thanks!!!

There are no tequila distilleries on Cozumel. There is a Tequila Factory out on the transversal road from downtown to east side.  It's basically a museum/exhibit on tequila and does offer tequila samplings and bottles for sale, but only it's brand.  Chankanaab Beach does have a tequila tasting, as does it's sister site, Discover Mexico, both offering tasting of different types and brands.

Agave downtown on the square next to Fat Tuesdays has a wide variety of both tequilas and mezcals. Small place but the barkeeps know their stuff. Try Tres Generaciones Anejo or Cava de Oro.

Posted (edited)

As Crew says, no distilleries- wrong part of Mexico, think Champagne region of France!

There are several tequila tasting places of various types - store outlets, restaurants, beach clubs and a couple of factories/ museums.

I am not particularly keen on tequila so haven’t done any tours- just occasional tastings.

I suggest googling “Coxumel tequila tour” - I saw several options including several usually recommended options - Mi Mexico lindo, Casa Mission, Chankanaab and Discover Cozumel, the Mayan Village, the factory on the transversal mentioned above and one on the north end of town which many tours go to. There was a “tequila and food tour” which looked interesting. Beach clubs like Buccanos, Sanchos, Sky Reef all used have tastings.

The consensus of most reviews I have read say, the tequila is enjoyable but expensive and items purchased are not always what they expect when they get home.

If you are looking to tour the island and just want to sample tequila I would suggest looking at Bar Hop and purchase tequila shots or for a more customized tour get a driver for the day to take you round recommended venues.

Edited by c-leg5

Posted (edited)

El Cedral.

You pay like $3 bucks USD to get in, and for that, you get free samples and a free drink.  However, I suggest you Google their tequila first (brandname:   "Regalos de Dios") before you plunk down $100 on a bottle.  El Cedral is, overall, an interesting place with some respectable shops and a couple other places to see besides tequila.  If you have a car.

Edited by tetleytea

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

El Cedral.

You pay like $3 bucks USD to get in, and for that, you get free samples and a free drink.  However, I suggest you Google their tequila first (brandname:   "Regalos de Dios") before you plunk down $100 on a bottle.  El Cedral is, overall, an interesting place with some respectable shops and a couple other places to see besides tequila.  If you have a car.

I believe that is what is at the Mi Mexico lindo outlets perhaps thay have the one at El Cedral?

I have read it is re-branded for US market but I have no idea of price.

I am not sure I would be tequila tasting and renting a car, especially on a cruise day unless you have a designated driver. It could be included in a custom tour easily enough.

Edited by c-leg5

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I believe that is what is at the Mi Mexico lindo outlets perhaps thay have the one at El Cedral?

I have read it is re-branded for US market but I have no idea of price.

I am not sure I would be tequila tasting and renting a car, especially on a cruise day unless you have a designated driver. It could be included in a custom tour easily enough.

The tour guide at the Tequila place said it is not sold in the US and said nothing of Mi Mexico Lindo, but...he is trying to sell you something, and I try to practice sound judgement whether to believe everything I hear at Caribbean shops.   The samples at El Cedral are indeed very good.  The tequila tasting itself is good.   But caveat emptor before you buy the tequila.  I can't tell you for sure--I bought their agave nectar; not the tequila.  

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

The tour guide at the Tequila place said it is not sold in the US and said nothing of Mi Mexico Lindo, but...he is trying to sell you something, and I try to practice sound judgement whether to believe everything I hear at Caribbean shops.   The samples at El Cedral are indeed very good.  The tequila tasting itself is good.   But caveat emptor before you buy the tequila.  I can't tell you for sure--I bought their agave nectar; not the tequila.  

Thanks.

As I said above I don’t particularly like tequila so I wouldn’t be buying any - I have lots of drink preferences before tequila but  I might occasionally take a free sample, just to confirm! 

I admit my knowledge of Cozumel and its tequila comes from years of reading reviews and traveling round the island not from personal experience. 

I think it is true it is not sold in the US under that name.