London to King’s Lynn

Our family would love to see the “family” castle, Oxburgh Hall/Estate in King’s Lynn. What public transportation options are there to get from London to King’s Lynn? Bus? Train? When I try to use Google Maps to find a route using public transportation it tells me it can’t calculate the directions. I was hoping my CC friends could help me out!

A quick Google indicates that there are hourly trains from Kings Cross station in London to Kings Lynn. Journey time - about 2 hours. 

Oxburgh is about 17 miles from the railway station and I havent looked at the details of public transport options, although the National Trust's website suggests Downham Market is the nearer train station and then a 10 mile taxi ride.

The lack of rural public transport is a well known problem here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

A quick Google indicates that there are hourly trains from Kings Cross station in London to Kings Lynn. Journey time - about 2 hours. 

Oxburgh is about 17 miles from the railway station and I havent looked at the details of public transport options, although the National Trust's website suggests Downham Market is the nearer train station and then a 10 mile taxi ride.

The lack of rural public transport is a well known problem here. 

Thank you for the quick reply! I definitely will look into this route. 
We don’t have much public transportation options in our area as well. Normally we would rent a car, but we’re a little nervous about driving in London and on the other side of the road. 

Posted (edited)

Is this going to be a day trip or are you planning to spend more time in the area? If the latter, then you may be able to organise a car rental from a more forgiving spot than central London. Certainly when I've visited the States, I'll spend time in the city but have then gone back to the airport, where roads will be quieter, to pick up the rental for the rest of the trip. If day trip, you're going to need to do some detailed research about getting there and, as important, getting back. 

It's a lovely part of the world. We spent a week in North Norfolk a year or so pre-Covid.

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

Is this going to be a day trip or are you planning to spend more time in the area? If the latter, then you may be able to organise a car rental from a more forgiving spot than central London. Certainly when I've visited the States, I'll spend time in the city but have then gone back to the airport, where roads will be quieter, to pick up the rental for the rest of the trip. If day trip, you're going to need to do some detailed research about getting there and, as important, getting back. 

It's a lovely part of the world. We spent a week in North Norfolk a year or so pre-Covid.

Yes, this will be only a day trip. I will check into the idea of renting a car in a less crowded area than downtown London as a possibility. I did find this information on the National Trust website just now that may be helpful with prebooking taxis if we choose to go the train/taxi route.

https://www.goodjourney.org.uk/attractions/oxburgh-estate/

Posted (edited)

I'd say by far the easiest will be train to Downham Market and pre-book taxi from there. 

Maybe the obvious place to think about picking up a hire car would be Stansted airport (train from London Liverpool Street), but that still leaves you at least 90 minutes driving to Oxburgh and back. 

Are you SURE you can't make this an overnight? Lots of good places to see up there in Norfolk! 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I'd say by far the easiest will be train to Downham Market and pre-book taxi from there. 

Maybe the obvious place to think about picking up a hire car would be Stansted airport (train from London Liverpool Street), but that still leaves you at least 90 minutes driving to Oxburgh and back. 

Are you SURE you can't make this an overnight? Lots of good places to see up there in Norfolk! 

I really wish we had more time in England, but it will be after a short stay in Amsterdam and a 12 night British Isles cruise. So unfortunately we are limited in how much longer we can stay. Part of me says to postpone the Oxburgh Hall visit until another trip. But another part of me really wants to go for it. And then we can plan another trip one day to explore more of the countryside.

i do think the train to Downham Market and taxi will be our best option. Thank you for your help!

6 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

i do think the train to Downham Market and taxi will be our best option.

I can only urge you to plan the trip in some detail, leaving sufficient time for things to go wrong.

That done, have a great trip. Out of interest, may I ask what's the family connection with Oxburgh?

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I can only urge you to plan the trip in some detail, leaving sufficient time for things to go wrong.

That done, have a great trip. Out of interest, may I ask what's the family connection with Oxburgh?

Thank you! I love planning the details of our trips, so I will be sure to do so. I’ve already zeroed in on eating plans for the day, for example. But nothing I set in stone yet. 

Oxburgh Hall was built by the Bedingfield family in the 1400’s, and has been in the family ever since. There are still Bedingfields living there currently. Our last name is Beddingfield. My husband’s family has been in the states for a long time, and we’re trying to research when and who emigrated to the US. His grandfather researched as much as he could for decades, before the internet. He often talked about a family “castle” in England. Now, we can’t be sure that we’re related to the family that built the castle, of course. But there is a huge sentimental part of us that wants to visit the “castle” almost in a way to honor his grandfather. Not sure if that makes sense? That is the best way I can describe wanting to visit Oxburgh. 

31 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Not sure if that makes sense?

Perfectly. Perhaps when you've done your trip,  you'll come back to this thread and tell us how the day went. 

In real life, I'm an amateur military historian (and author), with a particular interest in the Great War. Sometimes, with research, you have to take leap of faith. For example, I know my grandfather served in the Great War. I have a photo of his platoon taken just before they went on active service to France in 1915. On the same photo, there's a man of the same surname. He has the same forename and is of the right age of the brother of Grandad, serving in the same small unit which allowed family members who joined up to serve together. Is he a great uncle? I've no absolute proof but, yes, of course he is. So, I've visited where he was killed in 1918, know from a Belgian researcher that he was first buried in someone's front garden in the village and, then after the war moved to a war graves cemetery which I've visited a couple of times. 

For your family history research, you've got the benefit of a relatively uncommon name and a tie  to Norfolk. I  can only get back to about 1841 with my family - I know the name of the ancestor as he's included on his daughters marriage certificate but I've never been able to find any info on his birth, marriage or death. And it's too common a surname, in the north of England, to be able to research further. 

PS: we must be soulmates. Like you, whenever I travel having decided where I'm going, then eating plans are the next to be researched.

John

Edited by Harters

@Harters

I will try to remember to come back with an update after we visit Oxburgh! We are planning to be there at the end of June.

I also love history, and both Great Wars interest me. What a great story you have! And how amazing that you can remember and honor the memory of your great-uncle.

We have traced my husband’s heritage quite far back, and his great-great-great grandfather on his paternal side to here in the states in the 1800’s. His name is on a Civil War monument. But we hit a major roadblock trying to move beyond him. It truly is a mystery, but we will keep trying to unravel the past. We’ve even done something called Y DNA looking for answers, since he traces back through all male relatives. No luck there either. 

Eating plans are a must in our family! Especially when I realized that our Oxburgh venture will most likely be a 12 hour day. Our college age daughter is a vegetarian, so I always have to triple check options with her in mind. I have been pleasantly surprised that England seems to very vegetarian friendly!

It is very nice to chat with you!

~Chriss 

39 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I have been pleasantly surprised that England seems to very vegetarian friendly!

The headquarters of the UK's Vegetarian Society is in Manchester, which is the centre of our metro area. Vegetarianism and abstinence (from alcohol) have been quite strong movements since the mid 19th century. I'm a meat eater but no longer drink alcohol. 

1 minute ago, Harters said:

The headquarters of the UK's Vegetarian Society is in Manchester, which is the centre of our metro area. Vegetarianism and abstinence (from alcohol) have been quite strong movements since the mid 19th century. I'm a meat eater but no longer drink alcohol. 

Good to know! My husband and I also eat meat but do not drink alcohol. I was hoping to not stick out too much by not drinking in any pubs we stop in. Good to know it’s not just us!

16 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I was hoping to not stick out too much by not drinking in any pubs we stop in.

As Harters says, you absolutely won't stick out. There are lots of reasons why people choose non-alcoholic drinks in pubs - either long-term, or on the day, or just that hour or round - so it's entirely normal. I often order non-alcoholic drinks for myself, and it's unusual for anyone to even notice that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harters said:

You won't. 

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

As Harters says, you absolutely won't stick out. There are lots of reasons why people choose non-alcoholic drinks in pubs - either long-term, or on the day, or just that hour or round - so it's entirely normal. I often order non-alcoholic drinks for myself, and it's unusual for anyone to even notice that.

Thanks!!! I am definitely getting excited for this trip, and appreciate all the help and insight you’ve both provided!