Kodiak/Homer/Dutch Harbor in late April, rental car?

gkeep

We will be at these three ports between April 18-21. I am starting to research each one. I looks like cruise lines usually have a shuttle to the downtown areas, and then you can walk around. Wondering if it would be recommended to do a car rental in any of these ports to get out of the downtown area? We like to explore on our own, I have some mobility issues, but can get around ok for a couple hours. We don't do the expensive tours like flights and fishing. I know our arrival is a little before the season opens, and a lot of online info is for during the season. Thanks!

Edited by gkeep

• gkeep changed the title to Kodiak/Homer/Dutch Harbor in late April, rental car?

For our cruise in 2024 here are our plans. We have not done this yet so have no idea about good or bad. 

Kodiak: Avis. Bad part is that pick up/ drop off is at the airport not very close to cruise pier. 

Homer: Adventure Alaska Car Rentals 907.235.4022, said they would have car near pier or give ride to pickup/drop off. We have rented from them before and had good experiences. 

Dutch: BC Vehicle Rentals, 907.581.6777, close to airport which I think is close to cruise pier.  

Kodiak and Homer both easy to drive in when we have done it before but have not it in April. If you do rent get at least 2021 AK milepost for maps and what to see. Or at least check milepost out from library.  

Edited by SightCRR
added milepost info.

In Kodiak, the ship moors at a commercial dock near downtown but frankly, even if you walked it, downtown Kodiak isn't really a tourist attraction.  You'll need to taxi to the airport, which isn't far, but it's worth it to get a rental car.  Kodiak is a place you need to get out and explore.  It's a beautiful destination.

• Like 1

We have never rented a vehicle in Homer since we drive our own vehicles when visiting Homer.

In Kodiak most of the car rental agencies have cars at the airport.  However there is at least one agency which (at least in the past) has a deal with a downtown gift store where you can pick up a car and return it at the gift store too.  They will have the car waiting for you when you walk downtown.  We have rented from them but I don't remember the agency name.  May be National.

In Dutch Harbor/Unalaska the rental car agencies are located at the airport.  If the cruise ship docks at the Alaska Marine Highway (Alaska state ferries) pier it is close to downtown.  However, if the size of the cruise ship is such that they need to dock at one of the commercial fishing boat piers those piers are much farther out.

PS:  Just a comment from an Alaskan who has actually been to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska -- for visitors who want to talk like an Alaskan local residents hate it when the harbor is referred to as "Dutch."  Very similar to the reaction of San Francisco residents when their community is referred to as "Frisco."  May find yourself abruptly corrected.

• Like 2

In years past Avis use to have drop off at the gift store and it wasn't it the best when they opened late or had cars jammed in and blocking each other but they moved to airport. Good tip to check National. We did not check National as that would save two cab rides and depending on when they open speed things up. One more tip they don't have many cars so don't delay to much and you may run into winter hours for people working now. I would think but I don't know that the demand in April would be less. 

Edited by SightCRR
demand less
  • Like 1