northern lights on NCL Alaska

shugal75

We were on NCL going north from Vancouver to Anchorage and RCCL going south, last August.  We saw the northern lights, but nothing like we did the summer before going from Iceland to Norway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shugal75 said:

Hello,

Wondering what months the northern lights have been seen on the NCL Alaska cruise either  7 days ones or the land and sea ones..

September but that’s still a big maybe. In two cruises in September I saw them once and they were barely visible unless you knew what you were looking at. The cruise before mine had a great light show however. 

Does NCL offer a wake up call for northern lights? I know Celebrity did and also had the Aurora forecast daily by the onboard naturalist. You can look up the forecast daily to know if you should be keeping your eyes open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drumming cruisers said:

Was on Bliss in late August, a lady on our excursion told us was supposed to be Northern lights that night at 1:30 am. We went up on top deck and saw them, light green and wavy. Didn't show up very good in pictures. 

I find the pictures on my iPhone are better than what you see in real life. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bstreep said:

We were on NCL going north from Vancouver to Anchorage and RCCL going south, last August.  We saw the northern lights, but nothing like we did the summer before going from Iceland to Norway.

thanks!!  Norway is on my bucket list!!

10 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Was on Bliss in late August, a lady on our excursion told us was supposed to be Northern lights that night at 1:30 am. We went up on top deck and saw them, light green and wavy. Didn't show up very good in pictures. 

Oh cool!  Bliss is ship Im looking at as well

14 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I have a friend who was on The Jewel several years ago.  He took wonderful Northern Light pictures from mid to late September.

Thanks!  I'm getting great feed back, so I think it is must go!

We had Northern Lights for 5 nights during our September cruise to Iceland and Norway on the Star. The cruise staff let people know early each evening what time the lights were expected to be visible, and announced via audio/TV when they were visible. One night it was 1:30 am, the rest were more like 10:30 pm. Tip: they announce the visibility at the earliest time you can see them, but if you can hang out another 20-30 minutes you just might be rewarded with a stronger display. At first, they look more like the Milky Way, just kind of gray/green on the black sky, so you might not realize you're seeing them.

I also found that the iPhone pictures were better than the "live" view (more intense, etc.) and a "regular" camera didn't do quite as well. I also saw people with tripods who thought that the tripod was not going to move when the ship rocked 🙂

IMG_9096.JPG

• Haha 1