First Time River Cruiser - Rhine and Danube

TheDrkNgt

Hello, contemplating a first time river cruise between the Rhine or Danube and I have specific questions that I am hoping someone knows that have done both of these cruises/routes. 

We are open to both of the cities/towns and just the entire river cruise experience. What we specifically want to know is which river/locales has less busing/shuttling around?

Ideally, we would prefer to limit all of the shuttling if possible by being able to step off the ship on foot to explore. Is there a clear winner in terms of more ports being closer to the boat?   

Thank you in advance for your insights.

I have done both and I think it is mostly a tie.  I say mostly because not all cruises are exactly the same, so results may vary.  However, we walked to and from the boat most, but not all places on both cruises.  So no clear winner--although both are terrific and winners in that respect.  You weren't asking, but I'm adding anyway--the mid-cruise highlight for us on the Rhine was sailing by all the castles, while the mid-cruise highlight for us on the Danube was Vienna.  

Thank you for your response. I am suffering from paralysis by analysis on these two River destinations. It would be our first time in Europe. Both seem amazing and I am narrowed in on either Ama or Viking. The tie breaker might just be getting from east coast US to Western Europe. It seems a lot easier and cheaper. In your experience can cruise companies get much better deals on flights? All new to me so I appreciate any advice.

thanks again.

I've found I get better airfare from the cruise lines when the cruise leaves from one port and comes back to a different one.  Not as much savings on a round trip. 

Edited by Roz

Welcome to Cruisecritic.

5 hours ago, TheDrkNgt said:

contemplating a first time river cruise between the Rhine or Danube

52 minutes ago, TheDrkNgt said:

Both seem amazing and I am narrowed in on either Ama or Viking.

You asked about bussing specifically. Between the two rivers I think you cannot go wrong as regards feel and experiencing Europe. As regards being right in town or bussing I think there is not much in it between the two. Avoid Nuremberg, which you will if you sail Vilshofen to Budapest. I struggle to find something that could help with your decision. Also Ama or Viking, not much difference as regards ports or itineraries. It would be details that could make the difference and sway you in one direction or the other. Personally, I would never book Viking due to their payment policies.

Have you got any special interests? Do you speak French? Do you like windmills? Like canal boats? Do you want to see one of the biggest cathedrals in existence? Do you want to see a fortress? Go for the Rhine.

Fancy seeing a majestic town with castle at three rivers? Like "The Sound of Music"? Eat an authentic Wiener Schnitzel? See three capitals of Europe and look at what used to lie behind the Iron Curtain? Go for the Danube.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimmymac613 said:

notamermaid- why do you say to avoid Nuremberg?

Oh, that was meant to refer to the bussing. Nuremberg city is not on the canal, the harbour is industrial and out of town. Itineraries that start in Vilshofen are more favourable as regards docking. By the way, also better if you want to avoid potential issues with low water.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Rebel54 said:

Just curious what is it about those two companies that you are attracted to.

Based on all I read, Ama seems to get great reviews. They are not the cheapest but overall they seem to do everything pretty well. Viking was going to be my backup, but again based on what I've read, there are a few others that would fit the bill too (i.e., Avalon). For budget friendly, Gate 1 came across my radar as well. 

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Have you got any special interests? Do you speak French? Do you like windmills? Like canal boats? Do you want to see one of the biggest cathedrals in existence? Do you want to see a fortress? Go for the Rhine.

Fancy seeing a majestic town with castle at three rivers? Like "The Sound of Music"? Eat an authentic Wiener Schnitzel? See three capitals of Europe and look at what used to lie behind the Iron Curtain? Go for the Danube.

Never been to Europe. We love food, culture, museums and history. We also just want to immerse ourselves in the ports and speak with the people. What we were unsure about is the being bussed for 2 hours, then visiting the destination, only to be commuted back to the boat. I feel that time is limited so i want to make the most of it. I know there may be some excursions that are not close by, but in general, we wanted to step off the boat and explore the towns. If you said that Riquewihr was must see, I would probably take the trip out there 🙂

Thank you for the nugget on Vikings Payment Policy!

This is great stuff I appreciate everyone's comments.

Edited by TheDrkNgt
adding a sentence.

As to air fare--sometimes you can get a deal from a cruise line, like free air (Viking sometimes does this).  With Gate 1, you get transfers included if you by air through them (which with them, is the air is the same price as buying on your own, I have found).  So if you can get a deal, by all means take it.  If not, just buy our own.  Have a great trip!

You don't show where you live.  If it's not near a major transatlantic gateway, you are probably better off booking your own airfare so you can pick good connections.  [I live near JFK and EWR, but I still usually book my own airfare because I want to pick my seats right away and keep control of changes.]

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheDrkNgt said:

Based on all I read, Ama seems to get great reviews. They are not the cheapest but overall they seem to do everything pretty well. Viking was going to be my backup, but again based on what I've read, there are a few others that would fit the bill too (i.e., Avalon). For budget friendly, Gate 1 came across my radar as well. 

I was going to tell you to look at Viking's payment Policy.  They want all that money up front.  I prefer to keep my money in my account until I am ready to pay and earn interest rather than let them grow my money for themselves any sooner than necessary. 

Look at Avalon's cabins.  I think the itineraries are pretty similar, just looking at the cost, cabins, and all that for differences.  I love the space in Avalon's cabins.  The mid range cabin is 200 sf with the wall opening up to make your cabin a balcony vs loosing cabin space for a balcony.  Their crew are outstanding, food is great and I love the relaxed atmosphere.  🙂 

• Like 1