Oceania vs Seabourn: My experience

Woodrowst

Just a word about caviar on SB.  It can be ordered (single or double order) from room service or at any bar (simply ask the bartender or waiter and they will call for an order).  In the Restaurant it is seldom to never on the menu, but you can ask your waiter and it can generally be arranged as an off the menu starter.  In fact, on our last SB cruise we had friends who had a "standing order" for caviar to be sent to their suite at 4:30pm and another order delivered (nightly) to their dining table in The Restaurant.

Agree that SB can be a bit anal about formal nights, but that is only in the Restaurant.  They do expect men to wear a jacket (tie not necessary) but true formal-wear has become less common.  We have friends, who regularly cruise on SB, and never pay attention to the formal night stuff.  They simply dine in other venues (the Restaurant is the only venue that might enforce formal dress rules).

Hank

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a word about caviar on SB.  It can be ordered (single or double order) from room service or at any bar (simply ask the bartender or waiter and they will call for an order).  In the Restaurant it is seldom to never on the menu, but you can ask your waiter and it can generally be arranged as an off the menu starter.  In fact, on our last SB cruise we had friends who had a "standing order" for caviar to be sent to their suite at 4:30pm and another order delivered (nightly) to their dining table in The Restaurant.

Agree that SB can be a bit anal about formal nights, but that is only in the Restaurant.  They do expect men to wear a jacket (tie not necessary) but true formal-wear has become less common.  We have friends, who regularly cruise on SB, and never pay attention to the formal night stuff.  They simply dine in other venues (the Restaurant is the only venue that might enforce formal dress rules).

Hank

On SS the caviar can be ordered basically anywhere. Bars, Arts Cafe (where we usually order it) etc, and it's on the menu in the Atlantide every night. We had a "standing order" for caviar in Arts Cafe every day at 4pm (except the days when we were outside).

Regarding formal nights on SB, just to clarify - does it mean I don't have to take a jacket with me if I don't want to? Can just eat anywhere except the Restaurant on formal nights?

16 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

On SS the caviar can be ordered basically anywhere. Bars, Arts Cafe (where we usually order it) etc, and it's on the menu in the Atlantide every night. We had a "standing order" for caviar in Arts Cafe every day at 4pm (except the days when we were outside).

Regarding formal nights on SB, just to clarify - does it mean I don't have to take a jacket with me if I don't want to? Can just eat anywhere except the Restaurant on formal nights?

Yep.  Even Thomas Keller (now being changed over to a new venue called Solis) does not require "formal."  There is also the Colonnade, the outdoor Earth and Ocean, and the Sushi restaurant (only on the larger ships).  That being said, a majority of men do wear a jacket although it might just be a blazer.  I used to take my Tux on our SB cruises, but stopped when that kind of dress was becoming less common.  Now, I generally just bring along a blazer (with no ties).    I am not sure of the current 'rules" on the Exploration ships (Pursuit and Venture).

They do expect folks to at least be in what many call smart casual.  On most nights I will simply wear trousers (shorts are frowned upon after 6) and a long sleeve collared shirt.  

We find it fascinating (and perhaps revealing) that there are often dress code disagreements on the SS board, sometimes on this board, but seldom a disparaging word (about dress) on the SB board.  For a luxury line we have found SB cruisers to be laid back and among the friendliest folks we have met on any cruise line.  Looking forward to seeing how the Vista compares.

By the way, the new Explora Journeys cruise line (a luxury product) has no formal nights!

Hank

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We find it fascinating (and perhaps revealing) that there are often dress code disagreements on the SS board, sometimes on this board, but seldom a disparaging word (about dress) on the SB board.  For a luxury line we have found SB cruisers to be laid back and among the friendliest folks we have met on any cruise line.  Looking forward to seeing how the Vista compares.

By the way, the new Explora Journeys cruise line (a luxury product) has no formal nights!

Hank

I agree with both observations!

The Silversea passengers seem to be so much more determined to hang onto the ‘dress code’. I find it quite amusing.

Seabourn cruisers do seem to be far more relaxed.

In saying that I’d happily sail either line and Oceania ‘floats my boat’ too, but for different reasons.

9 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I agree with both observations!

The Silversea passengers seem to be so much more determined to hang onto the ‘dress code’. I find it quite amusing.

Seabourn cruisers do seem to be far more relaxed.

In saying that I’d happily sail either line and Oceania ‘floats my boat’ too, but for different reasons.

I thought of wearing White Tie/Tails on our upcoming SS cruise but, after following their dress code thread, figured the message would be lost on some of their fans.  

Hank

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Bob has worn a navy blazer and white dress shirt and looks quite nice 🙂

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I thought of wearing White Tie/Tails on our upcoming SS cruise but, after following their dress code thread, figured the message would be lost on some of their fans.  

Hank

If you have white tie and tails, then go for it!