Why so many Burger Kings and KFCs in the Carribean and so few McDonalds?

Z'Loth

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Maybe some people are not that into food/wine.

100% correct. And something, when traveling in groups, I had to teach myself. I used to be on a food site that could be SO judgmental. So I learned. An example of 'different strokes.' You won't find me being a "chair hog" cause I loathe the sun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Not to get too off topic but large scale pig farming has its own environmental issues with waste run off destroying waterways. 

Absolutely correct. An enormous problem that sure won't be solved here. But, yes. I keep saying that we really need - if going to eat meat - to buy local. We have that but I just cringe over the prices. But, hey, we travel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For the record, you are the only person using the word "inferior."

Perhaps so.  I take it you agree with my comment.  

23 minutes ago, clo said:

100% correct. And something, when traveling in groups, I had to teach myself. I used to be on a food site that could be SO judgmental. So I learned. An example of 'different strokes.' You won't find me being a "chair hog" cause I loathe the sun. 

We do a lot of family/friend group traveling, including cruises.  I guess we are fortunate that our group is pretty much in sync when it comes to likes & dislikes.  

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Some of the posts have me shaking my head in confusion and wonder.  I get that places like McDonalds are an option for rest rooms or even a coke.  I even enjoy our US fast food places...when we are in the USA.  But the idea of having lunch in McDonalds on the Champs Elysees or anywhere in the world (outside of the USA) is something I do not understand.  Food/wine are a part of travel and various cultures.  Why folks would go to France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Prague, and eat at McDonalds or KFC is beyond my own understanding.  

We have done many overnight cruise stops in Lisbon (for whatever reason this is pretty common) and never considered eating lunch or dinner on our ship.  This is true even when we are on a luxury ship with excellent cuisine.  My goodness, we are in Lisbon which is a city with many fine restaurants and lots of delicious fresh seafood (not frozen like on cruise ships).  And consider that in Lisbon one could go to dinner shows with Fado!  Some will say they do not like Fado (or have no clue what it is) but consider that you have traveled a long way to Lisbon so why not sample a unique kind of music and wonderful local cuisine?  And passing up a chance to enjoy lunch or dinner or dinner anywhere in France, Italy, Spain, etc just makes little sense.  In these countries (and many others) their cuisine is an important part of local culture.  Why bother to travel if you want to simply take home with you....such as going to McDonalds.

Hank

The answer is pretty simple, people want to enjoy their trips😁. I was reading in another forum about a couple who spent 28hrs on a flight to Thailand to stay in an all inclusive resort. Two weeks they didn't leave that resort, spend most of it in their room. No local culture, eateries or shows. And they absolutely loved it. To me that sounds like a trip from hell😂, but for them it was bliss. When you're spending that much time and money on an experience the foremost thing is that it is enjoyable to you. We are all different and we all need different things to be happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

The point was......it was ONE solitary meal during what was almost a 3-week trip eating almost exclusively local meals, and I happened to like it.  If you can't accept that, just move the heck on.  Good heavens. 🙄

My friend, I know exactly what you are saying. Sometimes a quick and familiar bite can be refreshing, especially when exhausted. No need to explain yourself. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 8:30 PM, Aquahound said:

The point was......it was ONE solitary meal during what was almost a 3-week trip eating almost exclusively local meals, and I happened to like it.  If you can't accept that, just move the heck on.  Good heavens. 🙄

Hey, whatever works. The food police won't put out a warrant for your arrest. 😜 Also, it wasn't your first choice, it was after three weeks. I wish I had the same luxury of being at the same vacation location for three weeks that I desire a "taste of home." 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:02 PM, ilikeanswers said:

One reason would be to try their local variations. Like in Japan you can get matcha sundaes, taro pies in China, banana pies in Brazil, biryani in India, pasta soup in Hong Kong, kale soup in Portugal, bulgogi burgers in South Korea, McFalafels around the Middle East, shrimp burger in Cyprus and Greece, McSmazak in Czechia, McCurrywurst in Germany, they use rye buns on their burgers in Finland, alcohol is served in French and Serbian McDonalds, arepas in Colombia, local sauces like aji in Bolivia and Chile, the list goes on. Sometimes it can be fun to see how international franchises adjust to the local area. 

Local eateries greatly enhance one's travel experiences, live octopus in Cheju-do and horsemeat plov in Kazakhstan, and things I was too polite to ask my host about. I'd occasionally eat at Subway because I can see what I'm getting and point at the foodstuffs until I learn some vocabulary. The "Subway Economic Index" gave a relative comparison of cost of living in various locales...what does a 6" sandwich cost in one country vs another. Rio de Janiero had the most expensive Subway sandwiches. Surprisingly, in Moscow when it was in the Top 5 most expensive cities, the cost of a Subway was close to back home in Texas.

The local variations of American fast food are somewhat intriguing. I stopped eating at fast food restaurants at home very many years ago. If I've been in one place for an extended time (weeks) I may try the local variants out of curiousity and the experience has always lived down to my low expectations. Bulgogi burgers in Seoul, McSchwarma at the Tel Aviv airport, and at the oldest McDonalds in Russia simply because my friends from Western Siberia were visiting when me in Moscow when I worked there and despite my protestations, they were anxious to visit that historical site. (Also took a visitor to the McD's at the Kremlin because there was something special about enjoying this showcase of American capitalism within sight of Lenin's tomb...and that was the only thing notable about that meal.)

On 1/27/2024 at 7:53 PM, ldubs said:

Some need to make contact.  McD is the place to go.  

Of all the countries I've been to (53 in total), the most common fast food seems to be KFC.  I haven't actually counted.  It just seems they are everywhere.  

While Subway has the most US locations of the chains, they are #2 worldwide behind McD's.
Starbux and KFC have fewer stores worldwide than McD's but each have more revenue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tollah said:

While Subway has the most US locations of the chains, they are #2 worldwide behind McD's.
Starbux and KFC have fewer stores worldwide than McD's but each have more revenue.

Now that you mention it seems Subways are everywhere.  I've just never really enjoyed their product.  I saw a sign for a new Jersey Mike's a few miles away from our house.   Only been to one once, but thought it was pretty good.  I also like Mr Pickles and Togo's.  But still, the best deli sandwiches are from the local sole owner places.