Enhanced elevator system

I've seen that system in certain places (hospitals!) for years, and once I got over the "well, THAT'S not the way I'm used to" feeling, I wondered why everyone doesn't do it. (There are a couple of reasons why, for example, Las Vegas hotels wouldn't, primarily due to safety concerns.)

I can see it being a game-changer on cruise ships, where the elevator "milk run" is a pretty frequent thing. Advantages include not only the aforementioned "express" service and prevention of kids/drunks hitting a whole bunch of buttons, but also knowing which elevator you're going to take.

No dashing across an elevator bank to get to it before the door closes - or worse, not being able to see which has opened because the signal light's out, and missing "your" elevator entirely.

And no elevators opening on middle decks only to reveal they're packed so full you can only get on if you're a 80-lb. contortionist.

For the issue of a lobby elevator with too many people getting on, I'd expect it's the same solution as it is with "dumb" systems - people board the elevator until it's full, then after the doors close, whoever's left presses the button again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

For the issue of a lobby elevator with too many people getting on, I'd expect it's the same solution as it is with "dumb" systems - people board the elevator until it's full, then after the doors close, whoever's left presses the button again.

That seems perfectly reasonable.

I read an article about Icon’s elevator system that stated when the designated elevator came there would be room for you.  As the number of people per party and the amount of floor space needed per person (including scooters and strollers) varies greatly on cruise ships, I was curious how the system was assuring adequate space, especially during busy times…or if the author of that article was simply incorrect.  I suspect the latter.  Since people of widely varying backgrounds contribute to CC, I hoped someone could satisfy my curiosity.  Regardless, I expect the system to be an improvement.

Edited by Starry Eyes

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I read an article about Icon’s elevator system that stated when the designated elevator came there would be room for you. 

If they said that, they don't know people very well. 😁 

Some folks may show up in the elevator lobby, see someone pressing "16," and not even bother to press it themselves, or show up as an elevator is opening and just get in (either asking where it's going or not, possibly depending on the amount of drunkenness involved).

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

If they said that, they don't know people very well. 😁 

Some folks may show up in the elevator lobby, see someone pressing "16," and not even bother to press it themselves, or show up as an elevator is opening and just get in (either asking where it's going or not, possibly depending on the amount of drunkenness involved).

Those are good points. I found the article.  Here’s the paragraph:

It might take a minute or two for the elevator to arrive. Once it does, it will have room for you and, in many cases, the elevator will go directly to your chosen floor. At worst, the elevator will make a stop or two which are shown on screens inside so passengers know exactly what their trip will look like.”
Link to full article: https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-quietly-fixes-a-massive-passenger-problem

Note: I clicked on the article to find out what massive passenger problem was fixed.  Perhaps we might have hoped for a major IT improvement or maybe food improvement or price drops.  I’m not sure elevators are a “massive” problem most of the time for most passengers.😀

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:24 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm concerned that this more complex system will break more easily than a traditional elevator, and since the four (four?) elevators in an elevator bank will operate /cooperate as one item, I'm thinking that if one goes down, they'll all go down.  

You are wrong in all your assumptions!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:38 AM, tscoffey said:

If any single car goes offline, it doesn't take down the other cars. 

Do we know this?  If all the cars are connected to the main system, it seems to me that a problem could knock out all the elevators ... and if the keyboard goes out, all the elevators in that area will go out.  

On 1/26/2024 at 9:55 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Yes, some of us are curious and want to know (at least understand) how things work. 

Definitely!  I'm not planning to sail Icon any time soon, but I'm interested in how things work. 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:55 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Would the type of elevator control system determine whether I decide to sail on a ship?  Nope.  

Totally agree!  I mostly try to avoid the elevators -- exercise, you know.  But I do use them when I'm carrying something or when I'm wearing heels.  

5 hours ago, TheMichael said:

And no elevators opening on middle decks only to reveal they're packed so full you can only get on if you're a 80-lb. contortionist.

Of course, the opposite of this is that you'll watch a single person get on the elevator (because he's the only person who wants a ride to Deck 9) while you're still waiting.  With the old system, you could've joined that ride and could've gone on up to Deck 10 quickly.  

Perhaps you won't know where that individual is headed, so that knowledge won't be painful.  

18 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You are wrong in all your assumptions!

Maybe.  I'm interested in trying it, but -- at this moment -- all I can see is a fancy system for the sake of a fancy system. 

Kinda like my car's heating /cooling system.  My old car had knobs.  Without looking, I could reach and twist a knob to adjust the climate.  My new car (same car, just newer) has a fancy system that's supposed to be better ... the two front seat passengers can set the temperature to a certain degree, and then you turn the heat /cooling on /off.  But so many issues that weren't apparent at first:  When I get into the car, the new, fancy system takes about 20 seconds to "start up".  I have to look at the touch screen, which means taking my eyes off the road.  And the touch screen doesn't respond if I'm wearing gloves.  Just an analogy:  fancy isn't always better.  

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

Do we know this?  If all the cars are connected to the main system, it seems to me that a problem could knock out all the elevators ... and if the keyboard goes out, all the elevators in that area will go out.  

Definitely!  I'm not planning to sail Icon any time soon, but I'm interested in how things work. 

Totally agree!  I mostly try to avoid the elevators -- exercise, you know.  But I do use them when I'm carrying something or when I'm wearing heels.  

Of course, the opposite of this is that you'll watch a single person get on the elevator (because he's the only person who wants a ride to Deck 9) while you're still waiting.  With the old system, you could've joined that ride and could've gone on up to Deck 10 quickly.  

Perhaps you won't know where that individual is headed, so that knowledge won't be painful.  

Maybe.  I'm interested in trying it, but -- at this moment -- all I can see is a fancy system for the sake of a fancy system. 

Kinda like my car's heating /cooling system.  My old car had knobs.  Without looking, I could reach and twist a knob to adjust the climate.  My new car (same car, just newer) has a fancy system that's supposed to be better ... the two front seat passengers can set the temperature to a certain degree, and then you turn the heat /cooling on /off.  But so many issues that weren't apparent at first:  When I get into the car, the new, fancy system takes about 20 seconds to "start up".  I have to look at the touch screen, which means taking my eyes off the road.  And the touch screen doesn't respond if I'm wearing gloves.  Just an analogy:  fancy isn't always better.  

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about! 4 elevators stopping at 4 floor is a LOT slower than 4 elevators stopping at 1 floor - doesn't take much to see the advantage!

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Should the lobby floor selection display become nonfunctional, there is the ability for an authorized person to manually select floors in the car for passengers (there is a button pad behind a locked panel in each car). As I understand it, on boarding days a crew member may be assigned this task for a time period. 
Manual mode is also useful should there be a number of Orthodox Jewish passengers during Shabbot.

Edited by tscoffey

3 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about! 4 elevators stopping at 4 floor is a LOT slower than 4 elevators stopping at 1 floor - doesn't take much to see the advantage!

Maybe I'll think so once I've experienced it, but I'm not convinced from what I'm reading here.  And I really disbelieve the adjectives.  

1 minute ago, tscoffey said:

Should the lobby floor selection display become nonfunctional, there is the ability for an authorized person to manually select floors in the car for passengers. As I understand it, on boarding days a crew member may be assigned this task for a time period.

That's good, but it's still relying on a system more complex than current elevators.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I wouldn't call that "the opposite." In fact, depending on when your elevator arrives and how many people want an elevator on the floors between your start and destination, you might still arrive at your destination quicker by waiting for your own elevator than if you'd come along on the single guy's ride in the "old-fashioned" elevator.

This technology has existed for some years now and has been used in situations like hospitals and hotels (the Hilton I stayed at last week used it), so at this point it's essentially the "2.0" (or even "3.0") version of a tested technology. Most of the "whatabouts" have been considered and either incorporated, or disregarded as edge cases. 

After reading the entire thread, I have learned more about this new elevator system than I needed to know 😂 oy, I’m just happy to be cruising and use the stairs if I need to go down. Now, going up by stairs is a little harder, especially after a multi course dinner in the MDR. 

Edited by cj_one2000

I use this type of elevator every day at work for the last 3 or 4 years. Its better.

The first Monday morning after they installed it? Yes, I stopped in my tracks in the elevator lobby, a brief sense of "panic", but I'm happy to report I made it to my desk that day.

@tscoffey

On the systems you worked on, did the algorithm assigning the elevators take constant input from the elevators themselves regarding the weight they held at any moment? As a way to estimate the number of people already inside (avoiding the edge case of Mr. Star Class getting on alone with his sack of gold bars).