Swim out snorkel guides at West Bay Beach

RW_MI

When I was last in Roatan (2019) we went to West Bay Beach. There were guides who would offer to swim out with you - they walked up and down the beach, but congregated toward the south end.  After snorkeling on my own for a while, I decided to do it, and was really glad I did.  He gave me a tube to hold on to, and he swam along side.  We went places I wouldn't have gone by myself.  I'd say we were out for about 45 minutes or so (?).

I remember that I'd asked him how much, and he just said whatever I wanted to pay.  I don't remember what I ended up paying him. Any thoughts on what they might consider good payment?  And maybe the bigger question - has anyone been there recently and do they still do this?  Thanks

11 hours ago, RW_MI said:

When I was last in Roatan (2019) we went to West Bay Beach. There were guides who would offer to swim out with you - they walked up and down the beach, but congregated toward the south end.  After snorkeling on my own for a while, I decided to do it, and was really glad I did.  He gave me a tube to hold on to, and he swam along side.  We went places I wouldn't have gone by myself.  I'd say we were out for about 45 minutes or so (?).

I remember that I'd asked him how much, and he just said whatever I wanted to pay.  I don't remember what I ended up paying him. Any thoughts on what they might consider good payment?  And maybe the bigger question - has anyone been there recently and do they still do this?  Thanks

I haven't seen this since the restart.  But another option is to look for a snorkeling vendor who will take you out past that area to a better reef.  I think there was one near Bananarama (sp?).

19 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I haven't seen this since the restart.  But another option is to look for a snorkeling vendor who will take you out past that area to a better reef.  I think there was one near Bananarama (sp?).

That's disappointing, but thanks for the additional info. We'll be at Bananarama so will check that out.

2 hours ago, RW_MI said:

That's disappointing, but thanks for the additional info. We'll be at Bananarama so will check that out.

I attached pictures from July 2023 so you can at least get a point of reference.  And of the reef we went to.

P7040001.JPG

P7040003.JPG

20230704_145504_edit_1688508591481-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We have been there twice and both times the visibility was awesome. We went to Tabyana Beach Resort (West Bay) with a shore excursion and then found Cory Bennett, a snorkel tour guide on the property. There is a snorkel shack near the BBQ lunch area...easy to find. It was last year in May 2023, and he took us out on a private snorkel tour of the reef right off shore for an hour (actually a little longer). I've attached his card and a short video.

There were many people going out and snorkeling on their own and we have done that before also. However, having Cory as our guide was worth every penny. He also takes photos and video for your group and sends you a link for download. I can't recommend him more highly. I wish I could remember exactly what he charged for our group but I can't...sorry. His email is listed on his card below.

Cory Bennett.jpg

• Thanks 1

We just got back. Ended up going out on our own and had an absolutely awesome time.  I did see one or two guys taking people out with lifebuoy rings but not sure if they were associated with a specific resort.  West Bay Beach is amazing!!!!

Thanks, medcruzer, for your update too.

16 hours ago, RW_MI said:

We just got back. Ended up going out on our own and had an absolutely awesome time.  I did see one or two guys taking people out with lifebuoy rings but not sure if they were associated with a specific resort.  West Bay Beach is amazing!!!!

Thanks, medcruzer, for your update too.

Which resort/club did you go to?  Was there an entry fee, if so how much?  Did they offer snorkel rental gear?  And if so, do you recall how much?  Thanks!

I went last May and we gave a guy $20. He just said to give him whatever but he was great and hand fed the fish. So it was awesome. At Tabyana beach in west bay.