Wi-fi Packages

Minnie29

We are gold members and had an email saying we are entitled to $45 per guest towards a wi-fi package onboard.

We are intending to purchase a 7 day plan on our next voyage in April. My question. Is if we purchase a package can put our total $90 credit or would it just be the $45 for one guest? 
Thank you

10 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

We are gold members and had an email saying we are entitled to $45 per guest towards a wi-fi package onboard.

We are intending to purchase a 7 day plan on our next voyage in April. My question. Is if we purchase a package can put our total $90 credit or would it just be the $45 for one guest? 
Thank you

We buy daily on two weekers or less. We share it [good for one device online at a time then and use the other device] and when that runs out, use the other internet allowance. Works for us.

and no, you can't put the two allowances together. They are separate which is why we use both by buying daily and when one runs out, change to the other account.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

So do you go and buy daily or can you prebook the days you need?

Thank you

No need to prebook, you can buy daily and it  lasts for 24hrs so with use of shore signals if in port and/or appropriate plus judicious timing, your allowances will go quite a long way on a seven day cruise.

• Like 1

Work with the Purser’s Desk (or in Grills, the Concierge) to help set up and walk you through WiFi daily access per device. I know you can stretch that credit pretty far if done correctly. 

@Victoria2 and @NE John I have a similar question and would appreciate your thoughts!  I am on the 18 day QE voyage, Sydney to Tokyo, March 10-18, 2024.  I am Diamond level so will get the $135 internet credit.  I don't know what the daily rate is, but I'm sure the $135 won't cover all 18 days!  So, just to confirm, I can work w/Purser's Desk to set up daily access (good for 24 hours) whenever I want to connect?  Now that Starlink is so great, I'm thinking about connecting every 2-3 days.  Thanks for any insights!

49 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

@Victoria2 and @NE John I have a similar question and would appreciate your thoughts!  I am on the 18 day QE voyage, Sydney to Tokyo, March 10-18, 2024.  I am Diamond level so will get the $135 internet credit.  I don't know what the daily rate is, but I'm sure the $135 won't cover all 18 days!  So, just to confirm, I can work w/Purser's Desk to set up daily access (good for 24 hours) whenever I want to connect?  Now that Starlink is so great, I'm thinking about connecting every 2-3 days.  Thanks for any insights!

If you time it carefully, 24 hours will cover two days. Say 4 pm to 4 pm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

If you’re traveling with another Diamond level pax, you can each use a 24 period on one phone at a time and share phones. 
The purser/concierge can assist. That worked for us. We’re “only” Gold but got WiFi for most of our voyages. I have no problem disconnecting for a day or so too. 

Edited by NE John

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

So, just to confirm, I can work w/Purser's Desk to set up daily access (good for 24 hours) whenever I want to connect?  Now that Starlink is so great, I'm thinking about connecting every 2-3 days.  Thanks for any insights!

You don't have to use the Purser's Desk, you can work it out for yourself. You first create a front profile, involving you selecting some login details and the last 4 or 6 numbers from your room card. This hurdle gets you to the onboard "App", so you can do things like book Verandah via that. But wifi is an option there, and this then allows you to select either a package for the whole trip, or to go 24 hours at a time, and two levels, Premium and Essentials. You only need Premium if streaming or something like that, the speeds are about the same but they put a brake on the streaming down speeds. Alternatively, just enter the following into your browser on board, once you have a wifi signal:

internet.cunard.com

The only thing that is a bit non-intuitive is that it defaults to Premium rather than Essentials and the box that has that is in red to indicate it's the default. If you press the Essentials box next to it then that comes up in red to show it is selected.

Formally I think it's the librarian's job to help out those that get stuck with WiFi, but it's not that difficult in my view.

It's $24 a day with Essentials, so that will get you 5 days free as Diamond, and another day at less than half price.  If you go for 18 nights x the full voyage rate of $18 = $324. That would cost you net 324-135 = $189. It's a strict 24 hours, so if the clocks change you still get the full 24 hours.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

Great info - thanks everyone!  I'm a solo traveler so will only have the $135 credit to work with but I like the idea of planning carefully to use my 24 hour period over 2 days (e.g. 3:00 to 3:00 the next day).  Six days should work for me.  I like disconnecting as much as possible, and will use WIFI in ports too.

• Like 2