Military Discount

On 2/3/2024 at 11:57 AM, schmoopie17 said:

Yeah, one drawback of using a TA is the need for them to put you on hold forever while they connect with NCL to verify your Veteran status. Same thing goes for if you have any credits, or future cruise certificates. Dealing directly with a PCC eliminates those issues. 

Having said that, our TA gets us perks that our PCC can't offer (OBC, prepaid gratuities, etc.).

So sitting on hold to save a few hundred bucks is worth it.

I've never had been placed on hold while TA verifies those things.  

But, then, I never make my reservation over the phone.  I email my TA the ship, date, room # and then a few minutes later I receive an invoice from the TA and booking confirmation from NCL.  

My preference is NCL, but my parents' preference is Carnival.  When I make them go on an NCL ship, my dad gets the military discount.  He went to the veterans meet-up, and he LOVED it.  I didn't think it was that big of a deal, since he was in the army in the late 60s/early 70s and he rarely talks about it.  But after hanging out with a few older veterans on the Bliss in 2022, he always attends these events now.  It motivated him to go to the VA by his house and get a Veterans ID Card.  

• Like 1

Thank you for this post and all the replies.  I didn't really pay much attention to the Military Discount program until today.  My husband joined the Marine Corps on his 18th birthday.  He also loved the military meetings on NCL and Carnival. He proudly wore a Marine Corps pin or baseball cap while on board and was often asked about it.  We have many great stories about veterans we met on cruises. He passed away on 9/11/2021, before NCL had this program.  After reading these posts, I checked and as a surviving spouse, I am eligible for the discount.  So I am signed up and ready to book more cruises. Thank you all!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, fmrlkr said:

Thank you for this post and all the replies.  I didn't really pay much attention to the Military Discount program until today.  My husband joined the Marine Corps on his 18th birthday.  He also loved the military meetings on NCL and Carnival. He proudly wore a Marine Corps pin or baseball cap while on board and was often asked about it.  We have many great stories about veterans we met on cruises. He passed away on 9/11/2021, before NCL had this program.  After reading these posts, I checked and as a surviving spouse, I am eligible for the discount.  So I am signed up and ready to book more cruises. Thank you all!

There is a website for you to get a military id card as a surviving spouse, if you don't already have one.  Sometimes it helps for when the travel discounts want you to enroll in "ID Me" to provide proof.

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/military-basics/new-to-the-military/military-id-and-cac-cards-for-military-community/

• Like 1

Recap for late viewers.

1) Go to Military Appreciation area of the NCL page and verify your status via IDMe.  Takes about five minutes.  If you have a spouse, register them, too.

2) the MAP discount will automatically appear on any quotes and bookings in the future,  No one should have to re-verify your status, it’s attached to your profile.

3) if you are travelling with family and they are not military, the veteran can book one cabin and receive a discount, and the spouse of the vet can book the other and receive the discount.

4) We have received an invite for the gathering on every cruise since the program began.

• Like 1