HAL newbie diabetic questions

TinaLee

37 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Being a diabetic myself I can assure there is always a sugar free offering at the dessert bar in the lido. And there is usually a sugar free ice cream offered at the ice cream bar in the lido also. 

And it is not from the lack of asking either,  we have on multiple occasions asked the Lido chefs about sugar free, they always come back with there is some naturally occurring sugar, but no added sugar.

49 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:
  • Sugar free "Maple" syrup in the Lido for pancakes/french toast etc. You just have to ask for it.

Plenty of Michelob Ultra low carb beer on board.

Yes, we have done this as well, they have run oit on a couple of cruises, but yes mostly readily available.

5 hours ago, Skorpora said:

Is artificial sweetener used in the NSA desserts?

I’m under the impression HAL has a NSA cake mix they use. Several years back I was able to get a copy of the recipe for Chocolate Delight and it gave NSA cake mix as an ingredient. It was probably something in the range of a couple of pounds of it for that non-scaled down recipe.

Back to the soda question, on the Pinnacle ships (like the Rotterdam), you can get a Coke package that includes use of a Freestyle soda machine.  That will have all sorts of zero sugar (aka Diet) sodas.  Not something I usually select, but I'm pretty sure it will have a sugar free ginger ale...

One caveat... Check the machine is working before purchasing the package.  I've been on two cruises where it wasn't the whole cruise so you were sorta limited to what comes out of the soda gun.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fusion927 said:

Back to the soda question, on the Pinnacle ships (like the Rotterdam), you can get a Coke package that includes use of a Freestyle soda machine.  That will have all sorts of zero sugar (aka Diet) sodas.  Not something I usually select, but I'm pretty sure it will have a sugar free ginger ale...

One caveat... Check the machine is working before purchasing the package.  I've been on two cruises where it wasn't the whole cruise so you were sorta limited to what comes out of the soda gun.

Mark

If we have the regular drinks package does that include the Freestyle machine? 

Just now, TinaLee said:

If we have the regular drinks package does that include the Freestyle machine? 

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that with more confidence that I can! 

We had the drinks package just once, and as I recall we upgraded to the signature drinks package to get the Coke package (i.e. Freestyle machine), but that was 3 years ago and I believe that was the same cruise where the machine was not working so I never got the cup.

I'm diabetic as well. Just have come off a 56-day cruise on the Westerdam in Dec. Just be very careful at the Lido dessert bar, on quite a few times I have noticed that the NS tag (and the GF tag) is just randomly put in a shelf - was put onto full sugar regular desserts instead of the No Sugar dessert that the menu said. I complained to the Sous Chef who walks around the Lido daily, he said that's a constant issue they have with the servers who have to be educated daily to correct the slip ups! The NS and GF labels are also different on each side of the Lido!

Sugar Free ice cream is available, but 99% of the time it will be just plain vanilla. No other choice!

In the MDR, one server actually told me that the sorbet is sugar free and I ordered it once (Lime flavored) but to me it tasted full of sugar, so first and last time.