Differences between Uniworld boats?

elycelynne

I’m curious as to whether there were major differences between Uniworld’s “River” and “S.S.” boats?  I know that the “Rivers” are older.  In addition to that, are there noticeable differences in general condition, comfort, facilities, room size and configuration, etc. between the two classes?  I’m considering them as a possibility for my first river cruise and would like feedback from anyone who can make a comparison.  Thanks in advance!

All I can tell you is that if you are planning a river cruise on The Nile, unless Uniworld replaces the ship they have now, go on Viking's new purpose built Nile ships.

We were quite disappointed in the Uniworld ship on the Nile (Sphinx)  after hearing how opulent and beautiful Uniworld ships were.

25 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

All I can tell you is that if you are planning a river cruise on The Nile, unless Uniworld replaces the ship they have now, go on Viking's new purpose built Nile ships.

We were quite disappointed in the Uniworld ship on the Nile (Sphinx)  after hearing how opulent and beautiful Uniworld ships were.

Thanks, but the Nile wasn’t even under consideration.  I’m interested in Europe but haven’t yet narrowed down specific regions and/or rivers. 

Edited by elycelynne

I just completed three weeks in France on SS Catherine, SS Joie de Vivre and SS Bon Voyage and spend three weeks on the River Duchess in 2019 (Amsterdam to Bucharest).  I also enjoyed a week on the Ganges Voyager in 2018.  All were wonderful in my opinion, and shared the same high quality.  Room sizes seem to be similar in general, but all are on the smaller side possibly with the exception of higher end suites which I do not choose.  I enjoy being out and about.  Keep in mind you may sacrifice "room"  space for a balcony.  Pay careful attention to the room descriptions and deck plans. Room amenities and condition were all similar, but some were configured better than others in my opinion.  That said, it really is subjective.  I also formed opinions about optimal location of the coffee stations. While this made me like one cruise more than the other, I know to be more selective on room location in the future.  I've heard a lot of people are put off Uniworld because of the opulent decorations.  I enjoy their luxury touches and inclusions and will continue to travel with them.  The simple answer to your question is that in my experience they maintain a high standard regardless of ship.

• Like 1

We have sailed with Uniworld numerous times, always on the River ships. We've had cabins on the top,  middle and lowest deck. Unless you are in a suite the cabins are all cozy. 😉 (small).

RB 

I cruised on S.S. Theresa from Budapest to Amsterdam - very satisfied, all inclusive, excellent service & food and excellent excursions.  Uniworld has 2 new ships, S.S. Victoria and S.S. Elizabeth.  These were Crystal river ships, under another name (Crystal Back, Crystal Mahler, etc), Crystal had five of them. I cruised on one of them in Holland & Belgium tulips time. If you like not crowded ship, you should try one of these.  Only 110 passengers vs 140 - 150 - some line will have 190 passengers. The ships are all the same sizes.  Enjoy your cruise.