A Big bucket of paint

Captain k

Long time Princess cruiser here.  Recently sailed on another cruise line for the first time in years (will do a comparison).  Docked next to the Carribean Princess in San Juan.  Have been reading reports that it is looking ‘tired’ for a while. Yep, they were right about the exterior of the ship. We have sailed on her a while back, but it was depressing to now see the rust everywhere.  C’mon Princess, spend a few bucks and buy some paint!  Was looking forward to sailing again when she docks out of Port Canaveral, but wonder what the interior looks like. Hopefully she will go into dry dock before that?

• Thanks 1

I remember thinking the same thing one day as we cruised on the old Sun Princess (before they retired her) in New Zealand. However, the next day coming back to the ship from port, they were busy painting away the rust. I think the sea is pretty hard on ships and you might catch any of them needing a bit of paint at some point in time.

For me also, paint is the least of my concerns on any ship....old or new.

3 hours ago, Captain k said:

Long time Princess cruiser here.  Recently sailed on another cruise line for the first time in years (will do a comparison).  Docked next to the Carribean Princess in San Juan.  Have been reading reports that it is looking ‘tired’ for a while. Yep, they were right about the exterior of the ship. We have sailed on her a while back, but it was depressing to now see the rust everywhere.  C’mon Princess, spend a few bucks and buy some paint!  Was looking forward to sailing again when she docks out of Port Canaveral, but wonder what the interior looks like. Hopefully she will go into dry dock before that?

There is continuous maintenance and painting, varnishing, repairing on every ship we've been on. 

We were on the Regal 2 weeks ago which used to be a favorite.  We were dismayed when we entered our room and compared it to the prior condition we had found.  Here's a couple pictures of rust on our balcony, which was not like this the last time.  I have a folder of pictures from our room of things that were shabby and/or needed attention.  It made me think if I was a first time Princess cruiser it wouldn't have made a very good impression.  

I know surface rust happens in a salty environment and they do continuous maintenance, but this rust doesn't look like it happened overnight.  

And this is just a couple -- I have a several others of more rust. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Paula_MacFan

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A paint job would be the least of my worries considering the age of the ship. Plumbing issues and bad AC would be at the top of my concerns. 

Oh yes. Your concerns are valid.  I sailed on her 5 times so, so long ago.  The last sailing we had really bad toilet issues (carib deck aft) that we had to keep using public toilets periodically for several days.  They never really could get it fixed well.  That was the last of that ship!  

• Like 1