What do I need to know about Arvia?

Waju

My favourite ship on the P&O fleet is Aurora but yesterday I just 'accidently' (😀) managed to book a Med cruise on Arvia! 

I think I've said before, we tried Iona once and were surprised that we quite liked the larger ship.

Would those of you who love Arvia have any tips to pass on?  Nice spots for sitting in the sun, booking restaurants on the 'app' thingy, where doesn't get too busy etc?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Waju said:

My favourite ship on the P&O fleet is Aurora but yesterday I just 'accidently' (😀) managed to book a Med cruise on Arvia! 

I think I've said before, we tried Iona once and were surprised that we quite liked the larger ship.

Would those of you who love Arvia have any tips to pass on?  Nice spots for sitting in the sun, booking restaurants on the 'app' thingy, where doesn't get too busy etc?

Thank you!

It's a big ship (as you know) but we just use the smaller/quality places on the ship so it doesn't feel so big

(Also will help if you aren't travelling in school holidays)

So our favourite spots are as follows

710 Club - need to book slots immediately you board

Anderson's bar for cocktails (no booking necessary)

Crows Nest for cocktails (no booking necessary)

Swim up pool bar for frozen cocktails (no booking needed of course but if you want sunbeds near it on a sea day you will need to be early riser

The sushi restaurant (needs pre-booking)

Epicurean (needs pre-booking)

The Gym - top quality

Limelight Bar (def needs pre-booking)

One of the smaller MDRs book on the app

Theatre - pre book so no need to arrive mega early to queue (big theatre but that's theatres for you)

Cinema - small cinema

If you are someone who is happy to eat 6.30pm or earlier - everything is easier to book

If you are in any of these places at any stage you won't feel the hustle and bustle of being on a big ship

If you are in Brodies, The Clubhouse, the Atrium or round the pool in the Dome area you WILL know you are on a big ship

Walking to all these places that are nice and calm - the distance you walk will remind you that you are on a big ship

That's my tips

We are on Arvia for 2 weeks in the Caribbean from next Friday

• Like 4

The Limelight Club also has a nice vibe from 10.30pm after the main show has finished. No booking required, they have a band in there and a small dance floor. 

Book all theatre shows and speciality restaurants as soon as they’re available, about 15 days before sailing. If you like to eat 5.30-6.30, book the MDR at this point also. If you like to eat later, you can just join the queue on the app and you’ll soon learn at what point to join the queue. We never had an issue getting in.

On sea days, if you have a lie-in, the 6th Street Diner does brunch from 10-2 so no need to rush to the MDR for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's a big ship (as you know) but we just use the smaller/quality places on the ship so it doesn't feel so big

(Also will help if you aren't travelling in school holidays)

So our favourite spots are as follows

710 Club - need to book slots immediately you board

Anderson's bar for cocktails (no booking necessary)

Crows Nest for cocktails (no booking necessary)

Swim up pool bar for frozen cocktails (no booking needed of course but if you want sunbeds near it on a sea day you will need to be early riser

The sushi restaurant (needs pre-booking)

Epicurean (needs pre-booking)

The Gym - top quality

Limelight Bar (def needs pre-booking)

One of the smaller MDRs book on the app

Theatre - pre book so no need to arrive mega early to queue (big theatre but that's theatres for you)

Cinema - small cinema

If you are someone who is happy to eat 6.30pm or earlier - everything is easier to book

If you are in any of these places at any stage you won't feel the hustle and bustle of being on a big ship

If you are in Brodies, The Clubhouse, the Atrium or round the pool in the Dome area you WILL know you are on a big ship

Walking to all these places that are nice and calm - the distance you walk will remind you that you are on a big ship

That's my tips

We are on Arvia for 2 weeks in the Caribbean from next Friday

Thank you so much for your very detailed information, that's really useful.

Is there a quiet pool that would be nice to sit round?

I hope you have a lovely cruise in a couple of weeks.  Will you be telling us all about it?

Edited by Waju
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leomins said:

The Limelight Club also has a nice vibe from 10.30pm after the main show has finished. No booking required, they have a band in there and a small dance floor. 

Book all theatre shows and speciality restaurants as soon as they’re available, about 15 days before sailing. If you like to eat 5.30-6.30, book the MDR at this point also. If you like to eat later, you can just join the queue on the app and you’ll soon learn at what point to join the queue. We never had an issue getting in.

On sea days, if you have a lie-in, the 6th Street Diner does brunch from 10-2 so no need to rush to the MDR for breakfast.

Thank you Leomins - you know when booking the MDR or theatre do you know if it's possible to book for us and our friends together ie 4 theatre seats together or a table for 4?  To be honest I hate the idea of having to carry my phone around with me (that's probably just an age thing though!)

6 minutes ago, Waju said:

Thank you Leomins - you know when booking the MDR or theatre do you know if it's possible to book for us and our friends together ie 4 theatre seats together or a table for 4?  To be honest I hate the idea of having to carry my phone around with me (that's probably just an age thing though!)

You can prebook restaurant tables for more people than those on your booking. You can only book theatre seats for the number on your booking so your friends would also need to book. This isn’t a problem as you are just booking random seats and you pick your actual seats when you arrive.

On our recent Caribbean cruise we found all the pools very busy but as we don’t sunbathe all day, we used to like to go about 3 or 3.30 ad people were leaving and there were beds to be had. The swim up bar was full at 9.30 with people drinking but much quieter in the afternoon, they’d all run out of steam by then 😂 There is also an adult only pool at the front if there are lots of children on board.

3 minutes ago, Leomins said:

You can prebook restaurant tables for more people than those on your booking. You can only book theatre seats for the number on your booking so your friends would also need to book. This isn’t a problem as you are just booking random seats and you pick your actual seats when you arrive.

On our recent Caribbean cruise we found all the pools very busy but as we don’t sunbathe all day, we used to like to go about 3 or 3.30 ad people were leaving and there were beds to be had. The swim up bar was full at 9.30 with people drinking but much quieter in the afternoon, they’d all run out of steam by then 😂 There is also an adult only pool at the front if there are lots of children on board.

Thanks again for your help - think we might try for the adult only pool if we can!

3 hours ago, Waju said:

Thank you so much for your very detailed information, that's really useful.

I hope you have a lovely cruise in a couple of weeks.  Will you be telling us all about it?

Not sure if I will do a live report this time

Might post some photos from time to time though

Will look for a nice quiet pool somewhere and let you know but don't think there will be one tbh

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Waju said:

The area on deck 18 near to the Beachcomber bar is adult only, so no screaming kids.👍🏻

Then again, there may be one or two yawping suvverners within earshot (ooh, light blue touch paper! 🤭)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

The area on deck 18 near to the Beachcomber bar is adult only, so no screaming kids.👍🏻

Then again, there may be one or two yawping suvverners within earshot (ooh, light blue touch paper! 🤭)

Naughty Tiger!!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TigerB said:

Haha thank you, I'm a Northerner so I hope not (joke!)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TigerB said:

Cor blimey guvnor, and there woz me finking it was all them Norvners wot was making my ears bleed!

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, TigerB said:

While walking around Ionas upper decks last time we were on board, the beachcomber pool was heaving and very noisy, and very tiny.

It’s a big ship lots of walking which I enjoy. It never felt busy to us at all even though I think it was pretty much full. Loads of areas to go to and chill out. I loved the Promanade Deck. Did plenty of laps round this all the time. The pool areas were always busy especially on sea days. Found if you wanted to get a bed in the higher decks you had to be there early. We were on deck 8 and we loved it. Easy access to everything.we had absolutely no issues with booking anything at all via the app. We Just went with an open mind. And had a nice time away. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

While walking around Ionas upper decks last time we were on board, the beachcomber pool was heaving and very noisy, and very tiny.

Oh no - I'm getting worried now - we like a quiet'ish' spot if we can find one but I'm not inclined to pay for The Retreat!

We were on Ariva at the end of August last year. We found the Beachcomber pool area a peaceful area to sit and always managed to get chairs. The ship was full with lots of children but OK in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

We were on Ariva at the end of August last year. We found the Beachcomber pool area a peaceful area to sit and always managed to get chairs. The ship was full with lots of children but OK in that area.

I really hope it’s like that when we go😊

30 minutes ago, Waju said:

Another quick question if I  may, I can only find two black tie/celebration night for the two weeks - is this correct now, just one a week?

Yes, only one a week

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Waju said:

Another quick question if I  may, I can only find two black tie/celebration night for the two weeks - is this correct now, just one a week?

Black tie nights now 1 per week for Iona and Arvia, but still 2 per week for the other ships, although I would speculate that this may reduce to 3 every 2 weeks for Azura, Ventura and Britannia in the not too distant future.

• Thanks 1

We were on Arvia lst September outwith the school holidays and there were still too many kids on for our liking. We aren't pool people but walking past the Beachcomber it was very noticeable the number of children there were.  It didn't spoil our cruise though we will probably go back to the adults only/smaller ships unless a really good offer comes up on Arvia or Iona.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Black tie nights now 1 per week for Iona and Arvia, but still 2 per week for the other ships, although I would speculate that this may reduce to 3 every 2 weeks for Azura, Ventura and Britannia in the not too distant future.

I was looking at our planner. Only 2 to avoid. As soon as we are able we will book keel&cow and Beachhouse. Sorted.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I was looking at our planner. Only 2 to avoid. As soon as we are able we will book keel&cow and Beachhouse. Sorted.

I still have a tux that fits and does not have ( too many) gravy stains on the lapels, so I think I can manage 2 on a 2 week cruise on Iona, and maybe even 5 on our 5 week cruise due next year, although I hope this might be reduced to 4, one either side of Tenerife on the long sea crossings.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

We were on Arvia lst September outwith the school holidays and there were still too many kids on for our liking. We aren't pool people but walking past the Beachcomber it was very noticeable the number of children there were.  It didn't spoil our cruise though we will probably go back to the adults only/smaller ships unless a really good offer comes up on Arvia or Iona.

I hope we get lucky and not masses of kds!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I still have a tux that fits and does not have ( too many) gravy stains on the lapels, so I think I can manage 2 on a 2 week cruise on Iona, and maybe even 5 on our 5 week cruise due next year, although I hope this might be reduced to 4, one either side of Tenerife on the long sea crossings.

We joined Azura in February for a week. DW's family were aboard for their Birthday/Anniversary.  They like formal. Oh poo. Out came my bingo callers suit. On Azura in April, they joined us. My DJ decided not to come. We booked Arvia for April. I said to DW ' are we doing formal nights ?.It seems the formal stuff is staying in Woking.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2