Single best Tortola recommendation for 50 year olds

Spencer71

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in Tortola? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

20 minutes ago, Spencer71 said:

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in Tortola? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

Snorkel and beach day at Brewers Beach…. Take a cab - plenty available and price reasonable 

• Thanks 1

The one experience unique to the BVI that you will not experience in other Caribbean ports are the Baths on Virgin Gorda. How best to experience that depends on your time and date in port.

Brewers and other beaches are gorgeous, but you can snorkel and enjoy a nice beach almost anywhere. The Baths are that one “absolute can’t miss thing to do”…

What ship and date?

Edited by blue_water
Typo

So you have enough time to go on your own and take advantage of working with a taxi driver for the best experience at the Baths (avoid the biggest crowd).

I pulled the info below from “The Gorgeous Beach’s of the BVI” thread and added a bit more see the bolder sections. Any more questions don’t hesitate…

“The famous Baths and Devil’s Bay are very unique and worth a visit for those who have yet to experience them. Everything is within a short drive from the ferry terminal in the Valley which makes it easy to see this part of VG. The easiest way there is on your own, just walk from your ship to the ferry terminal to the left of the cruise ship dock and take the 30 min ferry to Virgin Gorda. Check the ferry schedules (as of this writing Speedy’s, Sensations), typically you’d choose a roundtrip ticket to save $$, but in some cases you can extend your time by taking one ferry over and another ferry back.

You will find many taxis available for the short ride to the top of the Baths, then you will walk down a trail to get to the beach and the boulders. Devil’s Bay is a very nice beach there. The drivers will recommend a time to be back at the top for your return to Road Town.

If you are lucky enough to be in port for a longer day you can work with a driver and get dropped at different beaches as you wish, and possibly hit the Baths when not quite so crowded. Taxi fares can be googled and are reasonable.

You can also rent a car if you have enough time for that, the North Sound is a beautiful area to tour.

If time allows you can have lunch at the Top of the Baths restaurant, or even taxi to the Mineshaft Café to enjoy the panoramic view and their signature drink the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, mon!". UPDATE - The Mineshaft is no more, but Mad Dog Cafe is a great spot.

Also a little shopping is available in Spanishtown a short walk from the ferry dock. Speedy’s also offers packages that include the taxi to the Top of the Baths (same price as buying on your own), and another that includes lunch and a drink at the Baths & Turtle (now Chez Bamboo) restaurant in Spanishtown. With many of the shorter port times today I’d recommend getting back to the ferry a little early. The ferries are very dependable, but everyone else will also want to spend as much time as possible seeing the Baths and the island and will take the latest ferry back.”

• Thanks 1

To assist…

If taken the full Baths journey, then suggest the purchase of reasonably priced water/beach shoes, as one will be clambering up/down rocks and walking through waist high seawater with sand/stones under foot, and waves crashing between the rocks towards one’s party.

Note to self…. Bring a waterproof backpack for towels and clothing…Before entering the Baths, do purchase a bottle of Virgin Spice Rum, because at the end of the Baths’ adventure, one will discover a small sandy beach with beautiful views.  A good place to pass the bottle to toast each other and take it all in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Spencer71 you'll be embarking the same day I'll be disembarking!! I'm a little older than you and the other couple but I'm planning on doing the Baths excursion as well. You should watch some YouTube videos of the Baths first, to make sure all persons will be physically able to maneuver the boulders. Viva does offer an excursion to the Baths. I'm currently booked on the excursion but I really want to take my time so I'm still trying to decide if I want to cancel and go on my own. Unfortunately, both ferry companies don't have ferry times that work well with our arrival and all aboard times but am thinking about taking Speedy's to VG and Sensations ferry back. Both offer packages but Speedy's return times would have you either having to leave really early or not until 3:30 which gets you back at around 4 could be a few minutes later and then you have to walk back to the ship with an all aboard time of 4:30. Sensations leaves to early and they have a 1:45 return time so I'm thinking about using both. The only disadvantage of that is that you don't get the package price from either company but would still probably be less than ship excursion price. I paid $69 after my $50 "free" shore excursion and I think that's still more than the one-way ferry and taxi's to/from the Baths would cost. Part of me just wants to do ship excursion so I don't have to "worry" about it but part of me doesn't I really want to explore. May be a last minute decision to cancel the ship excursion or not. Whatever you do, have a great cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ferries are very reliable, and it can sometimes be to your advantage to use one ferry company over and another back to get more time in VG for just $10/pp more. But in this case the Speedy’s 9 - 3:30 ferries will be the choice for many. That allows 5 hours to enjoy the day.

But if concerned with that 3:30 return, you could probably make the Sensations 8:30 over and take that 1:45 back and have ~4 hours…Most have time to make the next ferry in 30 minutes, but it depends on your disembarkation time of course.

Worst-case Speedy’s 9:00 over and Sensations 1:45 return and 3.5 hrs)…

The cruise line excursion is the best choice for many, of course. And even with your useable 8 hours in port it’s not ideal…But for those who have the opportunity to go on their own and avail themselves of a driver who can best coordinate their time at the Baths, or better yet hire an independent charter, it’s just so much nicer for a unique excursion…

Taxi fares are $6/pp or less between points in the Valley area…So if price is a consideration, the self-excursion would cost ~ $48/pp ($58/pp with $40 ferry), including 3 taxis (Spanishtown —> Savannah Bay, Savannah Bay —> Top of the Baths, and TOB —> ferry terminal, for example).

• Thanks 1

Note to @Spencer71

Do consider a private (small boat) charter for about 5 or 6 hours to the Baths and cruise etc..

We (a party of 6) did this and it took all the timetable, taxi, queueing angst away and we enjoyed the day.

This was 7/8 years ago paying about $800 all in, plus entry fees.  Which included rum, sodas, beers and a light chicken salad lunch. 

Best to consult the inter-web for current charters and prices.  Also, in no doubt CC members will give their recommendations.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread. Thanks for the input. My wife and I will be visiting Tortola for our first time this November on Celebrity Apex, and I was hoping for a "uniquely Tortola" activity. Looks like the Baths is it!

We are scheduled to be in port from 7:00-2:30. There is a ship excursion to the Baths for $110 p/p for 4 hours, departing at 7:30. 

Looking at the ferry schedules (Ferry schedules (sensationferries.com) and speedysbvi bviferries I'm deducing that Celebrity is using Speedy's and placing passengers on the 7:45 ferry from Road Town, returning on the 11:30 from VG. That's really the only ferry schedule which will work with our port times.

Understanding all that, it seems as if the ship excursion will be almost 2x the cost of booking the exact same trip directly.

So, some questions for you more-experienced travellers:

1) Are my assumptions correct? 

2) Is 3 hours at the Baths sufficient for the experience, or should I just look to go to a beach nearer to Road Town?

3) What is the ferry ride like? My wife did not have a good ride on the Cozumel-Playa del Carmen ferry, and I'd rather not subject her to 25 minutes each way of retching.  

Posted (edited)

I cannot answer about the ferry used by the cruise lines, they may charter one as well…

The cost for a self-excursion to the Baths (ferry + taxis) is ~$50/pp.

With your shorter port time, whether you join the cruise line excursion or go on your own, you will likely encounter crowds while going through the boulders…

so our choice would be a beach on Tortola…But that’s just us…

The  Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen ferry can be one of the roughest in high seas. They often shut down the ports in heavier weather…The ferry to VG can also be rough, but is typically not that bad…

Nit much help I’m afraid…the Baths are just more of a challenge (to enjoy the right way) unless you have 9+ hours in port…

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

We were on NCL Viva last week. In Tortola, our ship let us out at 8am. We got off right then, and walked 10-15 min to Sensations Ferry to book the 8:30 ferry to Virgin Gorda. It left just a few minutes after 8:30. We then took a taxi ($5/pp), which was a small bus full of others over to Baths/Devils Bay. Paid $3/pp to get in and hiked down. Signage at the bottom was a bit confusing as there were several signs and seemed to conflict, but not a big deal. We eventually walked through the boulders along with a bunch of people there already on tours (a small cruise ship arrived a bit earlier than us). We eventually made it to Devils Bay and we sat on the beach for a while. It was a red flag day, so no swimming anywhere on the island. That was a big disappointment as we wanted to snorkel. Lots of people on the beach. Our plans were to go to Savannah Bay after, but we didn't do it because of the red flag designation. Instead, we took a taxi back to the ferries about 1 pm and there was confusion amongst the ferries - we eventually got on one that took us back, and we just went back to the ship when we got back. Didn't follow our plans exactly, but still a great day!