CAR RENTAL/ACCESSIBLE TRANSPORTATION NEAR PRINCESS DOCKS IN HAWAII PORTS

fluffyclouds

Does anyone know what car rental companies are closest to the Princess dock in Honolulu?  Due to mobility issues we want to rent a standard SUV as we cannot travel in cars with low seats, e.g. a sedan. Cruise excursions are either sold out or will not accept a mobility device (rollator). Ideally the rental car company would pick up or shuttle from the port, but I know that is wishful thinking. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Actually, we would also appreciate any information of this type for Kauai and Hilo. Thank you.

Edited by fluffyclouds

• fluffyclouds changed the title to CAR RENTAL/ACCESSIBLE TRANSPORTATION NEAR PRINCESS DOCKS IN HAWAII PORTS

We were on a Princess cruise last April stopping in Honolulu.  After researching alternatives, we found it easier and less expensive to reserve a car through Costco and pick it up at the airport rental car center.  We took an Uber to the airport and it picked us up just across the street from where we were docked (near the Aloha Tower).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are also doing a Princess cruise next year to some of the ports already mentioned. I was also curious as to how easy it is to rent cars in some of these ports and the relationship to where the ship docks. We will be in Honolulu, Maui, Hilo and Kauai. 

We did a cruise to Hawaii many years ago and we rented cars in each port but memory of it has faded and I wanted to know how easy/hard it is now to do this.

When we were past, we saw all the main sights so now we would just like to rent the car and just drive around seeing what we would like. 

It was mentioned going to the airport via UBER. How far is the airport and are there no car rentals closer, especially near where the ship docks? Same for the other ports mentioned. We are a lot older now and would really like to avoid any hassles. 

Cheers

Len

4 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are also doing a Princess cruise next year to some of the ports already mentioned. I was also curious as to how easy it is to rent cars in some of these ports and the relationship to where the ship docks. We will be in Honolulu, Maui, Hilo and Kauai. 

We did a cruise to Hawaii many years ago and we rented cars in each port but memory of it has faded and I wanted to know how easy/hard it is now to do this.

How far is the airport and are there no car rentals closer, especially near where the ship docks? Same for the other ports mentioned. 

Pretty easy, actually. There is only one dock that cruise ships can use in Maui now (Kahului Harbor).  It is about three miles from there to Kahului Airport (where the consolidated car rental facilities are located).