Use of rollators

suron

A lot will depend on your mobility and the need for the rollator.

Although there are always staff there to assist, boarding and exiting a tender can mean stepping over a gap while both the ship and the tender are moving to some extent. Also the tender embarkation point on the ship is usually down at a lower deck level and involves descending stairs for access.

On some cruise ships I've sailed on, they have conducted a "step-test" for those going on tender excursions. This involves stepping over a notional gap on the floor marked by two strips of tape set maybe 2ft apart. In theory you must be able to complete this step-test unaided.

Maybe some others who have direct experience can comment

Just looked on Saga website, FAQ cruise questions, and it says that you need to be able to walk down the 16 steps from deck 4 to the tender platform unassisted.

It is a pretty grey area, as you may be able to use the stairs without assistance but still need someone to carry the rollator down for you.

If you have somebody with you who can carry the rollator up and down the stairs, then you may be OK as I have, in the past, definitely seen rollators and even folding wheelchairs being taken ashore with passengers at tender ports.

I suspect much depends on the senior officers (how strict they are with the rules), the tender crew, the weather, and how busy the tenders are.

All ship crews hate tender ports.....

Saga head office may be able to give you more information, but they will have to repeat the "rules" (i.e, the crew cannot carry things up and down the stairs for you).

If you have an excursion booked that includes a tender port, you may be best to ask the Explore Ashore team to find out for you if you can still go with a rollator, in order to get a refund if the answer is no.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your useful feedback.  I apologise for not replying sooner but cataract operation took priority!  I contacted Saga and they said it will be possible to take rollator on tender if as someone said I can meet requirements regarding boarding the tender.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just taken a folding wheelchair on a tender in Bantry Bay Southern Ireland.

I can manage the 16 steps as long as there is a bannister, which there is. My partner carried the wheelchair. All quite easy, crew are very helpful getting across the gap.

WARNING. Would not attempt it in rough weather and keep an eye on chair or rollator when boarding. It is left on the quay until all passengers have boarded, we needed to shout out ‘don’t forget the chair’

It is at the discretion of the crew, some landing places are unsuitable if you have mobility issues and some ports use their own boats as tender and will not take walking aids, e.g. Scilly Isles.

Edited by silversurf