Is there a new policy in Free at Sea gratuities?

Nipo

I tested cruise booking last time like a month ago and it added me the gratuities for the Free at Sea packages which made them not worth purchasing. Now I tried again and it says nothing about the gratuities and really looks like they are included, so the price of the package seems reasonable.

Even more confusing this becames with the Free at Sea rules which first says that the gratuities are additional and then states that they are included. So which is the case at the moment? (And yes, I know they were additional still a month ago or so, but now it seems different).

INCLUDED COMPONENTS
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary onboard service charges and/or gratuities are additional
Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings
This is a cruise only offer. This promotion is not applicable on the land portion of cruise tours
Components included in this offer have no monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable
20% gratuities on the retail value of the dining and beverage package are included
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply

@Nipo I see you are from Europe.  I believe some European countries require the gratuities be included in the published price.  Is it possible you were checking two different countries version of the web site?  Two different countries with different rules?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Nipo said:

I tested cruise booking last time like a month ago and it added me the gratuities for the Free at Sea packages which made them not worth purchasing. Now I tried again and it says nothing about the gratuities and really looks like they are included, so the price of the package seems reasonable.

Even more confusing this becames with the Free at Sea rules which first says that the gratuities are additional and then states that they are included. So which is the case at the moment? (And yes, I know they were additional still a month ago or so, but now it seems different).

INCLUDED COMPONENTS
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary onboard service charges and/or gratuities are additional
Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings
This is a cruise only offer. This promotion is not applicable on the land portion of cruise tours
Components included in this offer have no monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable
20% gratuities on the retail value of the dining and beverage package are included
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply

I expect that you either did something different in your test bookings, or the web page used a different approach to the booking structure.

For example, i recently did a test and there was no option to select only a portion of the FAS or to reject them all. The page included everything and added the gratuities to the proposed price.

Usually, you get a page where you check all FAS or different combinations of them.

Also, if you only checked the grand total price when you compared the two, the base cruise price may have decreased.

Well, I checked NCL home page as well as ***** and Smartcruiser (European travel agent pages I often use) and it's the same thing in every one of them, it doesn't add gratuities as it used to do. Those rules I enclosed are from NCL home page... and it clearly says " 20% gratuities on the retail value of the dining and beverage package are included "

9 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

so the price is the same, they are just including them now?  Again wonder if this is a no US thing.. 

Well, the price is only € 150 more for one person for a 13 night cruise with the Free at Sea than without it. € 200 difference for a 18 night cruise... So I think it's worth the drinks, special dining and internet package if it's true. 

You should not have any gratuities for FreeAtSea added. Not now, not before! Not if you book in Eyuros. If you book in USD it¨s different. 

It's half price for FreeAtSea now by the way. 

Hi Nipo,

Just checked the site you referred. Policy seems like gratuities/service gharge are included but once you go until the end of booking it will appear.

Example I tried is NCL, transatlantic 3rd dec 2024 from Southampton to Miami. Club balcony (MC) base fare for 2 pax is 2431,52 USD  + beverage SVG 523,20 USD + Specialty dining SVG 55,60 USD, total sum is 3010,32 USD

NCL directly, total is about 2992 USD

You have to be aware that US booking conditions ans EU booking conditions are quite different. Once you start a booking and it's clear that you're in EU what was previously mentioned on the site may no longer be correct. That is if you're on a non-NCL page.

US bookings get FAS "for free" but instead pay gratuities if they take the drinks and/or special dining.

EU bookings have to buy the FAS separtely, but do not have to pay any extra gratuities. About a week or so every months they have run a promo when the package is half price. That promo is on right now and runs until Feb 29. A very good deal!

In New Zealand (& Australia) we have an overall price

BOOKING COMPONENTS PER GUEST IN NZD

Total Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest

Fare 

Gov Tax/Port Exp/Fees 414.86 207.43 207.43

Savings 

Bev Srv Charge 0.00 0.00 0.00

Din Srv Charge 0.00 0.00 0.00

Gross Total 7,136.12 3,568.06 3,568.06

Add-ons:

1 x Shore Excursion Discount

2 x Internet Package (150 Minutes)

2 x Premium Beverage Package

2 x Australia Service Charge Balconies and Below

2 x 1 Meal Speciality Dining Package

We pay for the Free at Sea Beverage package and Specialty Dining package and the Service Charges in our Fare.   That also includes the DSC.

Edited by Anoynmous Phoenix
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:35 PM, graphicguy said:

Just had an eye popping realization-3,500 Euros for a solo cabin?  No wonder they included the tips on FAS.

Well, that's a 18-night Cruise from Tahiti to Melbourne 😄 .

But I called the travel agent and they said that everything is really included in that price, so no extra gratuities for the drinks or special restaurants. Do the Free at Sea really is 150 € / 200 € for the whole cruise (cruises lengths 14 nights and 18 nights).

26 minutes ago, Nipo said:

Well, that's a 18-night Cruise from Tahiti to Melbourne 😄 .

But I called the travel agent and they said that everything is really included in that price, so no extra gratuities for the drinks or special restaurants. Do the Free at Sea really is 150 € / 200 € for the whole cruise (cruises lengths 14 nights and 18 nights).

Yep! Told you so! 😉  But you are absolutely doing the right thing checking it with NCL or travel agent. WAY to much "not quite correct" information on forums/social media! Especially concerning non-US bookings with people don't realizing there are very different rules depending on where you are.