Returning to cruising with questions, can you assist?

We are planning our first ocean cruise after the pandemic.  Have done many before and a river cruise last year.

Are bonus's (like free gratuitities, obc, etc.) a thing of the past?  Want to join a few friends on the Odyssey of the Seas in May.  They went through a TA but didn't get any type of 'freebie".   So it got me wondering.

Also, are we still able to book with the cruise line and transfer to a TA and get their bonus'?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for reading and your help.

The big thing nowadays with royal imo are group rates which are refundable and a good deal less expensive than booking direct. More so than freebies. With rates so high now I think people would rather have lower rates than freebies. 

I get some obc with group rates, or early booking bonus, not sure plus 100 shares of stock that almost always cover my gratuities. Got a few coming up with even better prices, no obc. 

Prices are double and triple what they were coming out of covid and so prices of the cruises and how to get lower deals I think seems to be my personal emphasis. I'm sure there are a few TAs doing freebies but I'm going with a TA with group rates. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

The big thing nowadays with royal imo are group rates which are refundable and a good deal less expensive than booking direct. More so than freebies. With rates so high now I think people would rather have lower rates than freebies. 

I get some obc with group rates, or early booking bonus, not sure plus 100 shares of stock that almost always cover my gratuities. Got a few coming up with even better prices, no obc. 

Prices are double and triple what they were coming out of covid and so prices of the cruises and how to get lower deals I think seems to be my personal emphasis. I'm sure there are a few TAs doing freebies but I'm going with a TA with group rates. 

Please remind me how I find these rates .

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Spudd said:

You need to find a travel agent that offers them.

Yes, but how can I tell if the TA does?  I have never seen an ad stating “we offer group rates”.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Yes, but how can I tell if the TA does?  I have never seen an ad stating “we offer group rates”.  Thanks.

Your odds are better if it's a large chain rather than a boutique operation. You basically just have to ask. Most people don't understand what group rates are about so agencies don't tend to advertise that - rather they will say something like "exclusive low fares".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Look at the price on the RCI web site and then ask the TA what his/her price is.