NCL Air and TAP Portugal

NCL booked us on a TAP Portugal flight back from Rome through Lisbon to Newark. Because I could not connect my flight to TAP’s online system because it’s a horrible website, I called to do so. After spending an hour waiting, I had a rep tell me that I could not select a seat without a fee. The rep also told me that I could not request a special meal (I have Celiac disease) without paying a fee. I then called NCL Air, who basically didn’t have any answers.

Has anyone else flown with TAP through NCL and been able to select seats in advance and/or arrange special meals? I was able to both on Air France going to Rome, but NCL appears to have chosen the rock bottom fare with TAP, which doesn’t allow for such “amenities.”

@Sageblue47  We've flown TAP a number of times in/out of JFK nearby.  Have you tried to look up your booking via this link - https://myb.flytap.com/my-bookings

Special services, including special meals can be submitted online within 48 hours of flight departure (I don't recall an extra fee being mentioned on our recent flight) 

Link is here - https://myb.flytap.com/my-bookings

A word of caution about TAP connecting via LIS (Lisbon) - airline's main hub - you might need to share/take a shuttle ride with luggage along with others, if the aircraft is parked on the tarmac as there are limited gates (enclosed walkway) at the main terminals and/or for the TA flight.  They are serious about hand & carry-on baggage, not so much with the sizer but rather on weight (22 lbs or 10 kg as the max permitted) - you will see the gate "dragon" with a digital scale showing up with the team, doing their thing.  You get a free "tag" flying business/first, plus more generous luggage allowance. 

You are most likely ticketed by NCL Air department on TAP using the "Basic" booking code, allows for 1 checked bag and 1 hold bag (that's checked luggage ... allow extra time at the outbound airport in Rome for bag drop & check-in, counters open up 3 hours prior to flight departure & close 1 hour prior)

See this - https://www.flytap.com/en-us/booking-information/tap-fares?ctseg=intercontinental

My recommendation, consider paying out of pocket for at least the Classic or higher, Plus fare category on your reservation - their pricing model isn't really any different from major US legacy carriers these days.  Aircraft are modern & new, clean and good choice of free in-flight entertainment, complimentary earbuds (best to bring/use your own).  

On our most recent flight, we booked our own into the Plus category, seated further up front and the intra-Europe short haul, exit row (leather/adjustable headrest) seating with plenty of leg rooms to stretch with the over-the-window exits (A321 NEO) - light blanket included, no extras. 

You are ticketed with the cheapest fare. Those usually do not include pre selecting seats or meals. Much of that is extra. Make sure your carry on is not extra too.

You can try to ease your anxiety by joining TAP Miles&Go program. Then getting the TAP booking reference for your flights. With that, you may be able to get answers and extras.

But yes, their website is not very friendly, remembering it is geared for the Portuguese market.

Thanks for the replies and guidance. I should have mentioned that I flew TAP two years ago and connected in Lisbon. I had already been a member of their program, but the flight still didn’t show up when I put in the code; the rep had to make the connection manually. Now, it appears when I login, but it says that I cannot upgrade through the website, and I don’t really feel like wasting another hour right now. I think our plan is to try their upgrade bidding program and then see what happens, before maybe stopping by their counter at the airport when we fly to Europe. Thanks again!