Is an AED allowed to be brought onboard.

resq602

My daughter was recently diagnosed with long QT syndrome. She is on medication and through insurance was issued an automated external defibrillator (AED).  She is required to keep it near her at all times. I just wanted to make sure we will be able to bring it with us for our cruise. I am aware the ships are equipped with medical staff, equipment and training. But being that we will be going off on ports etc want to keep her close by. 

Thanks to all who can assist! 

6 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

Best to call 

IMG_3590.jpeg

Thanks. Figured they are only open normal business hours. Figured the experienced cruisers here would have some knowledge to assist. 

I see no reason why you couldn't bring an AED onboard. My daughter has cystic fibrosis and we brought on her chest vest which sounds similar size to an AED device. The main thing here is are you comfortable with her condition at sea? If something major were to happen the ship has very limited ability to assist and help could be hours away.

• Like 4

There is no way I would bring my child with this condition on a cruise, unless she had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted….and only then if their doctor said they were stable enough to travel. I’m a medical professional and feel comfortable using an AED, but I’d be a nervous wreck hauling around one on a ship and worrying about my kid dropping dead on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.