December 6 Athens to Mumbai ??

Old Sea Dog

NCL have just announced the cancellation of 3 cruises for November and December from the Mediterranean via the canal/Red Sea due to the ongoing conflict 

This must surely put pressure on other lines to act sooner rather than later as ports via the Cape will become popular.

They are in the process of making new itineraries plus a full refund is available.

Interesting development and in my opinion a very wise decision to get ahead of the situation.  By doing so they can, as you say, secure ports and create an itinerary that would appeal to many guests and be in the position to sell new itineraries.   I am sure other large corporations, such as Carnival Corp, are already looking at options.  I doubt Crystal would address it until much later in the year.  It will be interesting to see the routing/ports that NCL chooses.

Interesting development but I wonder which ships are being rerouted?  Regent doesn't have any ships going through Red Sea this fall; so all three have to be Oceania and/or NCL.

edited to add:  found out that the three cruises are all on NCL Sky.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

I think Crystal will wait and see how it’s Red Sea transit by Symphony sans pax goes next month. If that goes well look for a similar move in Dec. Possibly send all pax in overland from Jeddah to Salallah. Wish I were going!  

4 hours ago, goldengatecruisers said:

On topic - Virgin Cruises have announced they are cancelation their repositioning cruises for their Australian season for 2024/2025 and replacing with Caribbean itineraries instead for Resilient Lady.

While they would have to reposition down under there’s some conjecture in the Australian press they’re chasing a better revenue return from US$ denominated cruises in the Caribbean next season - so it may not be quite as dependent on the canal transit as it being portrayed  

No doubt.  I am certain they will do very well in the Caribbean, but it is unfortunate the Australian/NZ cruise industry takes the financial hit.  I am sure their voyages would be well received by our down-under cruising community.

Two more ships in the Caribbean is not what is needed!  Perhaps we will see very favourable pricing no matter what line you chose.  Don't rush to book too early!

Let’s face it, airfares to Asia from US remain sky high and take three days out of a two week vacation while airfare to Carib is cheap and takes one day out of a two week vacation. This is the primary reason Australia and Asia bookings are down. 
One thing I have noticed now sailing on Symphony HK to Singapore is the large percentage of Asians on board. Twenty years ago on this itin would have been maybe 15% Asian. Now is about 60%. This part of the world is finally getting wealthier and spending on holidays. Love it!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

One thing I have noticed now sailing on Symphony HK to Singapore is the large percentage of Asians on board. Twenty years ago on this itin would have been maybe 15% Asian. Now is about 60%.

Are there many multi-generational families and children aboard?

Multi generation families yes. Only half dozen children. 
Great to see a couple in their sixties with parents in their eighties. 
I am in my eighties and my son wouldn’t dream of taking me on a holiday. Good thing I can afford and am able to do it alone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1