Malaga- Castillo de Gibralfaro/Alcazaba

We are arriving in Malaga in April.  I was wondering if anyone has walked to the Castillo de Gibralfaro and Alcazaba from the ship.  Finding either location, seems difficult when looking at Google maps.  I was hoping someone had the experience with either place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chips401 said:

We are arriving in Malaga in April.  I was wondering if anyone has walked to the Castillo de Gibralfaro and Alcazaba from the ship.  Finding either location, seems difficult when looking at Google maps.  I was hoping someone had the experience with either place.

There have been mentions of both on past threads, also much info and suggestions for Malaga.  you could find them using the search tool and decide which to read.

This one would be a good starting point, bu you should read it all the way through as the specifics you are asking about appear in different posts scattered here and there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2948753-advice-about-malaga-please/#comment-65798676

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 8:55 PM, Chips401 said:

I was wondering if anyone has walked to the Castillo de Gibralfaro and Alcazaba from the ship.  Finding either location, seems difficult when looking at Google maps.  I was hoping someone had the experience with either place.

This was replied to back in February. See post #2 and especially read the link to the previous thread as full info can be found on it.

2 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

We did Alcazaba a couple of years ago. I don't remember the details but it was easy to do from the ship by just walking (and I was traveling with kids).

twolittleboys, That very steep walk up in possibly hot  or even very hot sunshine must have been quite the experience, and I wonder what ages your kids were at the time, as you are, I believe,  the only person who has described the climb as "easy to do".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

This was replied to back in February. See post #2 and especially read the link to the previous thread as full info can be found on it.

twolittleboys, That very steep walk up in possibly hot  or even very hot sunshine must have been quite the experience, and I wonder what ages your kids were at the time, as you are, I believe,  the only person who has described the climb as "easy to do".

Huh, we only did Alcazaba (not Castillo de Gibralfaro) and I don't remember it being especially steep. Looking at Google Maps it also seems to be basically right at the port? 

Like I said, my memories are kind of hazy but definitely don't remember it as being difficult. Kids were 11 and 9, I think.

Huh, we only did Alcazaba (not Castillo de Gibralfaro) and I don't remember it being especially steep. Looking at Google Maps it also seems to be basically right at the port? 

Like I said, my memories are kind of hazy but definitely don't remember it as being difficult. Kids were 11 and 9, I think.

Yes, the Alcazana is very close to the port. The way to the entrance is all even. Within the site there is some incline.

Now the Gibralfaro is a different story, high above the city.

we only did Alcazaba (not Castillo de Gibralfaro) and I don't remember it being especially steep. Looking at Google Maps it also seems to be basically right at the port? 

I think you may be confusing Malaga with somewhere else as it is not especially near the port and it is definitely a steep climb up.  And Malaga port is big, and depending on where you are docked there can be quite a walk just to reach the port gates.  Some ships run shuttle buses to Plaza de la Marina.  From there you would take a bus or walk through the  waterfront gardens until you reach the point where you would begin the climb.

Alcazaba (not Castillo de Gibralfaro) The two are connected by a walkway.

if you look at eg Tripadvisor, you will see many many reviews which mention "steep climb up" or "worth the climb" or "amazing views".

9 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Yes, the Alcazana is very close to the port wiithin the site there is some incline.

perhaps it is me who is confusing Malaga with somewhere else?🥲

3 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

perhaps it is me who is confusing Malaga with somewhere else?🥲

I think you may be? Like I said, I only have vague memories but I do remember walking from ship into town (fairly long but even), visiting the Alcazana, checking out the bull fighting ring, walking through town, and the returning to ship. I believe I wanted to still see the Castillo but that did look like a steep climb and kids were not willing...

I have a preliminary booking on a cruise that will stop in Malaga in May - if I go ahead and book it I can double-check and report for sure.

The gardens, museums  and bullring are within easy and level walking distance of the cruise berths.

But the Alcazaba, immediately behind and above the gardens & museums, is then a  bit of a climb - 'though part-way can be by elevator if it still works.

The castillo is significantly higher altho the two are linked - a very steep 1/4 mile walk or a tortuous two miles by road..

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vhVxeFVEb5zwz94d8

A picture says a thousand words 😏 ...........

Here's the view from the Alcazaba

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hjppvUoe35y4yyga6

And from the Castillo

https://maps.app.goo.gl/41ifmeKKn7chc2489

The Castillo is great for panoramic views, but there's little there other than the rampart walls.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

'though part-way can be by elevator if it still works.

i just now googled it and it appears it is still running up to the Alcazaba.

My post #2 has a link which leads to a thread describing where to find it, or try googling it.