***News Flash*** CNN Breaking Story

wercruzin

Fire breaks out on Princess cruise ship carrying 2,690 passengers headed to Montego Bay, Jamaica, cruise line and Coast Guard officials told CNN.

No more details available!!

Hopes and prayers for everyones safety!!

3/23/2006

Statement on Star Princess

This morning at approximately 3:10 am local time, as Star Princess was en route from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay, a fire broke out in the passenger accommodations, and spread to adjacent cabins. Passengers were immediately notified of the fire using the public address system and requested to report to their muster stations. We are currently completing a full passenger check to account for all passengers and crew.

The fire is now out, however there is still residual smoke throughout the affected area. The cause of the fire at this time is unknown.

The ship is carrying a total of 2,690 passengers and 1,123 crew members.

A full damage assessment is being carried out at this point.

Authorities were immediately contacted regarding the incident and we continue to work closely with all relevant parties.

Star Princess sailed from Fort Lauderdale on March 19 on a western Caribbean itinerary with calls at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Princess Cays.

A special number has been set up for inquiries from immediate family of passengers who are currently onboard: 1-800-693-7222.

Fire breaks out on Princess cruise ship carrying 2,690 passengers headed to Montego Bay, Jamaica, cruise line and Coast Guard officials told CNN.

No more details available!!

Hopes and prayers for everyones safety!!

What a tragic week for cruisers everywhere.

3/23/2006

Statement on Star Princess

This morning at approximately 3:10 am local time, as Star Princess was en route from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay, a fire broke out in the passenger accommodations, and spread to adjacent cabins. Passengers were immediately notified of the fire using the public address system and requested to report to their muster stations. We are currently completing a full passenger check to account for all passengers and crew.

The fire is now out, however there is still residual smoke throughout the affected area. The cause of the fire at this time is unknown. .../quote]

Thanks Derf..

There might have been a post on it earlier.. CNN just broke the story.. so I thought I would share the horror of what could have been...

Probably someone left their crockpot on. If this was caused by a passengers carelessness (i.e. candle, crockpot, iron etc..) they should charge them for all the repairs and charge them with a crime.

The first thing I thought of was a cigarette. When I was younger living on the Army base half of our townhouse burned down because the lady next door feel asleep with a lit one. Noone was hurt, but my Cabbage Patch dolls did not make it out. And anyone who was a kid in the 80's knows how invaluable those were! :(

The first thing I thought of was a cigarette. When I was younger living on the Army base half of our townhouse burned down because the lady next door feel asleep with a lit one. Noone was hurt, but my Cabbage Patch dolls did not make it out. And anyone who was a kid in the 80's knows how invaluable those were! :(

LOL, I remember going to the mall back then and you didn't worry about your kid getting snatched, you worried about the Cabbage Patch Doll :eek:

you don't know that it did not. Probably the damage to most of the cabins is from the sprinklers.

I'd say looking at the photos on MSNBC that it was more than just water damage from the Sprinklers. About a 3rd of the outside of the ship looks charred and burned.

Archived