PH 800 on Grandeur

I seek information on those who have been in PH 800 on Grandeur.  Very concerned about wind and view.  I'm booked in July - Med.  Please and thanks for providing you insight and experience. 

51 minutes ago, lascott said:

I seek information on those who have been in PH 800 on Grandeur.  Very concerned about wind and view.  I'm booked in July - Med.  Please and thanks for providing you insight and experience. 

While I have not been in that particular cabin, I have been in other forward facing cabins.  The view forward can be stunning, but I think there are too many other drawbacks.  As you mentioned wind can be a problem.  The biggest issue for me is that the balcony is enclosed.  Meaning solid steel rails.  So when sitting down you see nothing.  I’ve attached a pic for reference.  The other issue with being that far forward and close to the bow is that you will hear the bow thrusters every time you enter and leave port.  You may have vibration during the maneuvers too.  If the ship anchors, prepare to be awoken by a mini-earthquake in your cabin when that anchor drops!  lol.  

Personally I would pick a different cabin if possible.  But that is just me.  I’m sure some people live for those forward facing cabins.  

IMG_8785.jpeg

Thanks so much for your response.  Apparently it is as I feared.  Wait listed for mid ship, but entire cruise is wait listed!  Don't know what else I can do other than plead for another cabin and hope??

I found the following in Facebook and written by David Davison:

“We are currently on The Grandeur with a back to back Caribbean cruise 
We have to say the ship, the crew and most of the food is amazing. 
We are in suite 800 a penthouse suite across the front underneath the bridge.
The view is therefore only straight ahead standing against the rail the view is quite nice but sitting or lying down the only view is a steel bulkhead.
It feels like a horse with blinkers.
Worse still every night the crew clean the superstructure above the balcony so every morning the chairs table and floor are soaked with puddles on the cushions so the idea of a cup of tea on the balcony when you wake is a no go
Our butler quite rightly said we only have to call and they will come in and dry it off but we don’t want crew in our room every morning as we get out of bed
As I said we love the ship the crew are amazing we have already 2 future cruises booked but would not have this suite again if they halved the price 
We hope this helps others when choosing a suite”

Hope this helps. 

Z and TB

Thank you so much for the response.  I am wait listed for another cabin, but fear I must adjust to the disappointment of this cabin location.  First cruise, much research and planning -- but this is a big regret.

• Like 1

On Explorer through Alaska last September our friends were upgraded to Suite 800.  The loved the room itself.  When the seas were choppy, not so much.  The front of the ship has great views but may not be the best in rough waters.  So, it probably depends on the location and time of year.

We have cruised on suites 700 and 800 on Splendor.  Will be in Suite 700 on Grandeur at the end of the month.  We really enjoy these suites for a few reasons.  1) these suits have only 1 large suite on each side and their balconies go around the corner of the ship so being out on the balcony of our suite is as close to private as can be.  Agree that the front and sides of the balcony are metal but that made the balcony totally sheltered from wind when we took advantage of the table and chairs out there for dinners and snacks while underway.  2) there is no foot traffic along the short corridor that our suite door is on.  While there is a storage closet for the cabin steward across the corridor we found our location extremely quiet.  3) we absolutely love watching sail in and sail away from the balcony...it is so nice doing that privately with butler-delivered drinks and munchies!

My husband is very prone to seasickness and we took a trans-Atlantic cruise that was very rough and he did fine.  And while there may be noise when the ship maneuvers into and out of port the only real loud sounds that we noticed were when the ship dropped anchor.  Then the clanking is loud but only lasts a few minutes.

We enjoy these suites and will continue to book them whenever we can.

• Thanks 1

Hamasgirl, thanks for your response.  Out of 3 replies so far, yours is the first with a positive tone for PH 800.  When you had seated dinner on the balcony, did you have a decent ocean view or did you just see the steel rails?  This is what concerns me most.  Wait listed for mid ship suite, but think it very unlikely in that the whole ship is wait listed! 

Hi lascott.  When you are seated at the table on the balcony for dinner you do see the steel rails. But anything in the line of sight above those rails is fully visible.  As an example, we were anchored off of the Amalfi coast until late in the evening on our Splendor cruise.  While having dinner we watched the lights on the hillside twinkle on as the sun went down.  An absolutely beautiful memory that we still talk about and we did not get up from the table to see it.

So anything down at water level...maybe the dock or something happening on the water next to the ship require that you stand by the railing to see it.  But many, many sights are at eye level (or above) when sitting at the table and the railing does not get in the way at all.

Hope that you get the suite that you want but if you can't I don't think PH 800 will not be a disappointment.

Hi Hamasgirl, Again, many thanks for your response!  You've eased my concern quite a bit.  We will also be on the Italian Coast -- Monte Carlo to Barcelona in July.