Jost Van Dyke from Tortola

Salf777

Hi there

going to Tortola on Celebrity cruise soon and stopping in Tortola. Have been to the Baths a few times and want to go to Jost Van Dyke. Is it difficult getting there from the cruise port? 
Any help appreciated 

There are TONS of posts in threads just below yours on the 4 or 5 options for getting to White Bay, Jost from Road Town. Are you asking about a self-excursion? Or a cruise line excursion? Your port date and times also help give useful feedback because of the time and distance involved…😄

46 minutes ago, blue_water said:

There are TONS of posts in threads just below yours on the 4 or 5 options for getting to White Bay, Jost from Road Town. Are you asking about a self-excursion? Or a cruise line excursion? Your port date and times also help give useful feedback because of the time and distance involved…😄

Am looking to go on our own for a while. We are there March 27th from 8am to 6pm. We are on Celebrity and don’t see any excursions which go or stop there

1 hour ago, Salf777 said:

Am looking to go on our own for a while. We are there March 27th from 8am to 6pm. We are on Celebrity and don’t see any excursions which go or stop there

@blue_water has given you the best advice, just spend a little time reading. This is an often discussed topic.

I will tell you this, regarding Celebrity.  Recently I returned from there on a Celebrity cruise.  I took a private charter to Jost,  however, had also booked the ship sponsored tour to JVD as a back up.  About 3 months prior to the cruise, Celebrity notified us that their tour to JVD was cancelled. No problem.

Imagine my surprise when talking to a couple at Soggy to find that there were people from the ship who had come over on a ship sponsored tour. Evidently, the "operational reasons" that caused them to cancel originally,  got worked out.  I never checked tours on board, as I had no need, but I found it interesting. 

• Like 1

I see at least 10 excursions on their site, but nothing for Jost…🤷🏼

But you have a nice long day in port which makes for a nice a day on JVD….

There are a few options…and perhaps an independent excursions site that we cannot comment on…

1) Aristocat and Kuralu offer very nice daysails on a cat that stops in White Bay for a couple hours.

2) The typical way of getting to Jost without a day sail, and to get the most time there, is taking a 20 - 25-minute taxi to the West End ferry (Horizons), taking the 20-25-minute ferry to Great Harbor, Jost, and a 5-minute taxi over the hill to White Bay.

The taxi fare from the cruise dock to West End depends on the number of people. For 2 ppl the taxi fare is $32/pp roundtrip.

The ferry is $40/pp roundtrip.

The taxi fare for 2ppl between Great Harbor and White Bay ($10 - $12/pp roundtrip).

So for 2 ppl, the total is $168 (+ taxi tips).

You would have to take the 10AM ferry over, and the 2PM back, giving you ~2.5 hrs in White Bay, and time to hit Pusser’s Road Town Pub near the ship, or shopping…

3) This is a water taxi between Cane Garden Bay and Jost. If available, you would need to take a 20-minute shared taxi to CGB, and a taxi I back after $12/pp each way).

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

I see at least 10 excursions on their site, but nothing for Jost…🤷🏼

But you have a nice long day in port which makes for a nice a day on JVD….

There are a few options…and perhaps an independent excursions site that we cannot comment on…

1) Aristocat and Kuralu offer very nice daysails on a cat that stops in White Bay for a couple hours.

2) The typical way of getting to Jost without a day sail, and to get the most time there, is taking a 20 - 25-minute taxi to the West End ferry (Horizons), taking the 20-25-minute ferry to Great Harbor, Jost, and a 5-minute taxi over the hill to White Bay.

The taxi fare from the cruise dock to West End depends on the number of people. For 2 ppl the taxi fare is $32/pp roundtrip.

The ferry is $40/pp roundtrip.

The taxi fare for 2ppl between Great Harbor and White Bay ($10 - $12/pp roundtrip).

So for 2 ppl, the total is $168 (+ taxi tips).

You would have to take the 10AM ferry over, and the 2PM back, giving you ~2.5 hrs in White Bay, and time to hit Pusser’s Road Town Pub near the ship, or shopping…

3) This is a water taxi between Cane Garden Bay and Jost. If available, you would need to take a 20-minute shared taxi to CGB, and a taxi I back after $12/pp each way).

Wow thank you for this

9 minutes ago, Salf777 said:

Wow thank you for this

Sure! I’d be curious if Foxy’s on Jost still offers the water taxi between CGB and Jost, and if so the cost. If higher than you want you can always look for others on your Roll Call to share the cost…

When we took a water taxi years ago we could be dropped and picked up in either White Bay or Great Harbor which was nice.

So I saw a company called shore excursions group and they have an excursion to Jost. Has anyone used this company? I did a quick google search and the first few results weren’t very favorable. Anyone have any other private excursion companies they can recommend 

Posted (edited)

There is a lengthy thread on that outfit (versus Rebel Yell, e.g.)…That’s something we’ve never heard of or have seen reviews on so I just mentioned it above…

Edited by blue_water

Posted (edited)

To answer your second question, Aristocat and Kuralu I mentioned provide shared excursions, or private if you have the $$$. They alternate between Jost, Diamond Cay, and Norman Island, Indians…

Sunshinepowerboats is a true private excursion option with excellent reviews. With this charter, you could also hit the B Line on Little Jost, and Sandy Spit! Or even the Norman Island Caves and the Indians for snorkeling.

https://sunshinepowerboats.com/

Edited by blue_water