Live seat plan

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I agree.

But also a cunning plan for the OP, they can make separate solo bookings to overcome the airline wanting to pair their seats.

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I agree.

But also a cunning plan for the OP, they can make separate solo bookings to overcome the airline wanting to pair their seats.

yes a cunning plan  i agree , secretly i think we all would like that middle seat gone  for the room on a plane .

36 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I agree.

If they book seats individually and separately, they run the risk of the airline system moving them to accommodate a couple who have no disinclination to sit together - or worse still, one member of a couple between the two of them with the other across the aisle, talking to each other across the passenger while they talk to each other across the unfortunate middle passenger.

I agree I think it's a bit selfish. Many years ago, on a long haul flight with plenty of spare seats, a woman in the aisle seat of the middle block, sat her son in the seat across the aisle, next to my daughter and I. The rest of the row she was in was vacant.  Her adult son was child-like with a mental disability and he proved to be a real nuisance, using my tray table as well as his own for his coloring in and nattering to us the whole journey. It gave her a break but in such a confined environment and for such a long flight, I thought they should have sat together so she could more easily attend to him. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Just to clarify. We didn’t want to book an aisle seat and a window seat in the hope the middle seat would remain empty. He just prefers a window seat to watch take off and landing etc. I like an aisle seat for easy access. Just personal preference, nothing selfish. As I said before we will wait for the 80 hour window and see what happens then. Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 9:39 PM, jland said:

Just to clarify. We didn’t want to book an aisle seat and a window seat in the hope the middle seat would remain empty. He just prefers a window seat to watch take off and landing etc. I like an aisle seat for easy access. Just personal preference, nothing selfish. As I said before we will wait for the 80 hour window and see what happens then. Thanks to all who replied.

It sounds like you have been caught up in a NZ seating rule faff then. 

I don't understand why this is selfish, especially since you are taking the chance of ending up separated by a stranger.  Most people assume that they can get that person to swap for either the aisle or window, so you end up no worse off than if you had just selected the seats together, and the third person gets a better seat than they expected.

I'm also not sure why the airline would care.  Do they think someone would actually choose not to fly if only middle seats are available?  This does not seem to be the case with US domestic flights, and as far as I know all airlines allow you to choose whatever seats you want, although the aisle and window may be priced a bit higher if there is a fee for selecting them.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:14 PM, jland said:

When I tried to book an aisle and window seat a message came up with a couple cannot leave a middle seat between them. I have never seen that before but will try your suggestions, thanks

When we frequently flew between San Francisco (or LA) and Sydney, we usually booked economy and upgraded to business.  A few times we didn't get the upgrade and ended up in economy.  We always booked a window and an aisle and about half the time the middle seat remained empty.  If someone booked the middle seat, we offered them their choice of window or aisle and it always worked out.  This was on United Airlines; Air New Zealand may be trying to block this trick.