Live seat plan

Does anyone know if it is possible to see a live seating plan on aircraft? Mr Google is not helping me but I am sure some one on here posted such a site. I think they also mentioned checking 80 hours before the flight leaves to see newly released seats. I have tried checking on previous pages but cannot find the post I am looking for. Air New Zealand will not allow me to book a window seat and an aisle seat as we are a couple. Do other airlines have this rule? I have not come across it before. Thanks for any help.

Posted (edited)

ExpertFlyer shows the loadings under Seat Map:https://www.expertflyer.com

You can sign up for a free account which gives a limited number of searches.

The 80 hours is a moveable feast - sometimes it is earlier, sometimes later. It is when the seats which are blocked for higher level status holders are opened up to all.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

The 80 hours is a moveable feast - sometimes it is earlier, sometimes later. It is when the seats which are blocked for higher level status holders are opened up to all.

Thanks Aussieflyer, just what I was looking for. I should have known with a user name like yours you would know the answer!

36 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Beat me to it! I have found the 80 hr window pretty accurate and use every flight we go on (I think I previously posted ages ago I was terrified of flying, which has now been conquered, so much I started counting flights when I married Frank 16 years ago this year. In first two years I counted 250 flights so stopped counting. I would be up to 500 at least now.)

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Beat me to it! I have found the 80 hr window pretty accurate and use every flight we go on (I think I previously posted ages ago I was terrified of flying, which has now been conquered, so much I started counting flights when I married Frank 16 years ago this year. In first two years I counted 250 flights so stopped counting. I would be up to 500 at least now.)

Cbtours, I think I was your post from way back I was trying to find, without success. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jland said:

Cbtours, I think I was your post from way back I was trying to find, without success. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

I even use the 80 hrs out to move from our chosen seat to row 4 right behind business on our domestic flights! I get it 9 times out of 10! I just want to be at the pointy end always 😁

• Haha 1

Quick tip.

If you are flying in cattle class, and won't be bothered by reclining seats, the rows TWO  behind an exit row are good. For example.  Row 22 is an exit row. Row 23 won't recline. Row 24 is good. If can recline, but won't be bothered by recliners in front.

Works on nearly every aircraft 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I even use the 80 hrs out to move from our chosen seat to row 4 right behind business on our domestic flights! I get it 9 times out of 10! I just want to be at the pointy end always 😁

With Air New Zealand we had to pay for our seats. Do you know if they will still allow us to change seats 80 hours out? Thanks

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Quick tip.

If you are flying in cattle class, and won't be bothered by reclining seats, the rows TWO  behind an exit row are good. For example.  Row 22 is an exit row. Row 23 won't recline. Row 24 is good. If can recline, but won't be bothered by recliners in front.

Works on nearly every aircraft 

Thanks, what a great tip! Have you anymore travel tips?

Just now, jland said:

With Air New Zealand we had to pay for our seats. Do you know if they will still allow us to change seats 80 hours out? Thanks

I can’t see why not

4 hours ago, jland said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to see a live seating plan on aircraft? Mr Google is not helping me but I am sure some one on here posted such a site. I think they also mentioned checking 80 hours before the flight leaves to see newly released seats. I have tried checking on previous pages but cannot find the post I am looking for. Air New Zealand will not allow me to book a window seat and an aisle seat as we are a couple. Do other airlines have this rule? I have not come across it before. Thanks for any help.

How come. When I booked with Air NZ for my cruise in January 2024 I could pick my seats at the time I booked. 

1 minute ago, icat2000 said:

https://www.seatguru.com/ or best is to log onto the airline that your booked and have a look at the available seating to choose from. 

icat2000, that is the problem, most of the seats are unavailable. We have ended up at the back of the plane which I really dislike. I not sure the plane is actually that full .

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jland said:

icat2000, that is the problem, most of the seats are unavailable. We have ended up at the back of the plane which I really dislike. I not sure the plane is actually that full .

I guess you just have to check each day. I prefer the back personally when I have to fly economy. 

Edited by icat2000

2 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

How come. When I booked with Air NZ for my cruise in January 2024 I could pick my seats at the time I booked. 

We didn’t book the flight it was part of a package. When we received the flight number etc I immediately tried to book, at the cost of $10 each, an isle and window seat but as a couple it was not allow. First time I have had a problem doing that.

1 minute ago, jland said:

We didn’t book the flight it was part of a package. When we received the flight number etc I immediately tried to book, at the cost of $10 each, an isle and window seat but as a couple it was not allow. First time I have had a problem doing that.

Maybe cause your linked in booking so the system thinks you need to sit together. Is it possible to contact the organisation you booked the package to see if they can select your seats.

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Maybe cause your linked in booking so the system thinks you need to sit together. Is it possible to contact the organisation you booked the package to see if they can select your seats.

When I tried to book an aisle and window seat a message came up with a couple cannot leave a middle seat between them. I have never seen that before but will try your suggestions, thanks

53 minutes ago, jland said:

When I tried to book an aisle and window seat a message came up with a couple cannot leave a middle seat between them. I have never seen that before but will try your suggestions, thanks

What about booking two aisle seats opposite each other? 

12 hours ago, icat2000 said:

That’s what we finally booked but husband wanted a window seat. We will see what happens in the 80 hour period. Thanks for your help.

13 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Same thing as theatre bookings here. "The system" will not let you book x-number of seats that will leave an adjacent single seat vacant.

Just yesterday I needed 3 tickets for a show and I could not book these out of a block of four vacant seats. Had to book something several rows back....

Posted (edited)

I know but the annoying thing is when you look there are single seats dotted all over the place.  I assume they must only allow a certain number of them

Edited by Pean

16 hours ago, jland said:

It sounds like AirNZ is trying to actively stop the practice as many do try and book window and aisle with spare between in the hope that as middle seats are less attractive no one will choose it. A bit of a risk that you have a stranger in between but often the seat stays vacant when not a full load and therefore they have more space.

Annoying for you but I can see why they do it.

As the seats were booked as part of a package there might also be restrictions on seating allocations at this stage (hopefully to be able to move up the plane later).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

It sounds like AirNZ is trying to actively stop the practice as many do try and book window and aisle with spare between in the hope that as middle seats are less attractive no one will choose it. A bit of a risk that you have a stranger in between but often the seat stays vacant when not a full load and therefore they have more space.

Annoying for you but I can see why they do it.

i also can understand  why they do it as well  

if the op wants to have that middle seat  between himself and his wife then he really should be booking the 3rd seat as well .

Plus size people have to pay for a second seat   if needing the space

i think its  selfish attitude  to be thinking hmm  if i book a window and an aisle for the wife and i  , in the grand hope that the middle seat doesnt get taken 

i do accept these things after all we should get to sit where we like providing the seats are not taken and you do't mind someone sitting in between ...

i do hope the origional poster  is able to select the seats they wish for.

14 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i also can understand  why they do it as well  

if the op wants to have that middle seat  between himself and his wife then he really should be booking the 3rd seat as well .

Plus size people have to pay for a second seat   if needing the space

i think its  selfish attitude  to be thinking hmm  if i book a window and an aisle for the wife and i  , in the grand hope that the middle seat doesnt get taken 

i do accept these things after all we should get to sit where we like providing the seats are not taken and you do't mind someone sitting in between ...

i do hope the origional poster  is able to select the seats they wish for.

I agree.

But also a cunning plan for the OP, they can make separate solo bookings to overcome the airline wanting to pair their seats.