London to Amsterdam by train?

we're going to be taking a Christmas Markets River cruise departing from Amsterdam.  I stumbled onto a reference to train service from London to Amsterdam thru the Chunnel and as a train lover am intrigued. Cost seemed quite reasonable.

Anyone familiar / have experience? Comments?

You may want to note that direct trains from Amsterdam to London are being suspended for about 6 months from mid-June 2024, and the number of direct trains from London to Amsterdam reduced from four daily to three for that period. The current plan appears to be to restore direct services in both directions from 8 December 2024, which is the date of a new timetable, but as everything depends on the progress of the relevant phase of the reconstruction works at Amsterdam Centraal station, I wouldn't want to bet on that date not slipping.

As always, it's worth reading seat61.com.

Posted (edited)

I have done it a couple of times when I have wanted to work prior to arrival in Amsterdam (it’s an over four hour journey). Given the convenience of Schipol for central Amsterdam and the timings, it’s harder to make a practical case for the train over flying than it might be for Paris or Brussels.  

But if you like trains, care about your travel CO2 emissions or want to “do” the tunnel, why not? It’s not a terrible option 😀

[By the way, the only times I hear “Chunnel” these days seems to be  from North Americans on this board!]

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Posted (edited)

I did Amsterdam to London via Eurostar service after a cruise a couple years ago.  I loved it.  It was far less stressful/annoying than involving the airports.  As mentioned above, verify your timing and how it relates to the service interruption.  Even if the direct service is not running, you could still take a  regular fast train from Amsterdam to, say, Rotterdam and then transfer to the Eurostar service from there.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

10 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Even if the direct service is not running, you could still take a  regular fast train from Amsterdam to, say, Rotterdam and then transfer to the Eurostar service from there.

No, during that period there will be no direct trains from Rotterdam to London either.

From either Amsterdam or Rotterdam, you will need to take a train to Brussels. These will include Eurostar trains. When you get to Brussels, you will have to change trains (taking all your luggage with you) in order to clear immigration, customs and security, before boarding another train from Brussels to London. As discussed in another thread, the itineraries offered by the Eurostar website don't leave a lot of time for those steps at Brussels, so that change could be quite stressful.

Here's the previous thread on this topic: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2976257-amsterdam-to-london-post-cruise-eurostar-won’t-be-running

2 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

No, during that period there will be no direct trains from Rotterdam to London either.

I wondered as I wrote that if I was going to be proven wrong.  Sorry.  I made an assumption that I shouldn't have.  🫢