guest choir question

I've been in the guest choir twice - both times on the English National Symphony crossings - and the performance with the orchestra was on a formal/gala night. 'Black Tie' was a natural fit for the performance.

For other performances where I was a spectator, the venue was the grand lobby in the afternoon - no formal wear in evidence.

When I have participated in the guest choir, we were asked to wear white tops and black bottoms although if you didn't have that anything was acceptable for the concert in the grand lobby. I usually have black slacks and some sort of a white top with me so it is not a problem for me. The one time I didn't have a white top, I wore the lightest color top I had with me. 

On the QM2 crossing in December, the Christmas carol event performed by the guest choir did not have a dress code, but I've seen it where there was a small attempt at it. Most of the work of that choir was in rehearsal in the Queens Room and that certainly had no dress code. It just a piece of fun activity, it's not intended to be a chore.

Posted (edited)

DH has done guest choir twice - once in 2019 on  2-week WB TA and one last year on a one-week EB TA. Both times they asked for black and white as a preference (not a problem for DH - he travels with a tux), but nothing required. DH really enjoys the choir. Rehearsals are sea days after lunch. We'd have lunch and then he'd go to rehearsal while I found someplace comfortable to read.

Edited by nybumpkin

Found pictures from the 2017 NSO crossing - "The Last Night of the Proms".

This picture shows the soprano & alto folks on the left side of the stage. Clearly formal / black and white was not suggested back then

QM2 - 25.jpg