Kayaking, trains, whale watching?

kajasmin

First alaska cruise. I've read posts but want to ask the experts.

- best port to kayak?

-whale watching worth it? Thinking isp port.

-my dad wants to do train in skagway. Should we do the cruise one or the half bus half train?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Icy Strait Point - yes for whale watching. It is impossible to predict whales but my trips have been very worthy. I was very impressed with this company - family run: https://www.g-wind.com 

Skagway- I think it is best to do train one way and van the other. With the train, the scenery is the same both ways and I have seen individuals fall asleep. The good thing about the van is that you can get out and take pictures and you see a different view than what you see on the train. Also you see different things such as Emerald Lake. Chilkoot is a great company: https://chilkootcharters.com I like the Yukon Bus and Rail tour.

Sorry - can't help you with kayak tours.

Edited by Coral

38 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

ISP is a great port for kayaking if you can do your whale watch in Juneau. Ketchikan also offers some good kayaking options. 

We had a full day in ISP. I did whale watching in the morning and wildlife tour in the afternoon. So possible to do both there.

• Like 1

Ditto the recommendation to go whale watching in ISP.  Glacier Wind company is fantastic—I go with them every time we’re in ISP.

As noted previously, one could do both activities (kayaking and whale watching) in one day depending on the time you’re in port.  I’ve been kayaking in Juneau, Ketchikan and ISP.  All were enjoyable but my favorite was at ISP.  Saw a number of whales while out in the water.  The Ketchikan tours are outside of town so they involve a bit of a drive to and from.  But, good fun as well.  In Juneau I went on the kayaking/Mendenhall Glacier combo. Any time spent out on the water is great but that was my least favorite.  

My suggestion is also to take the train combo—the train one way then a tour down.  We’ve used this company many times:  https://chilkootcharters.com.  

What is it you want to do in the rainforest?  Ketchikan has some great hikes that will get you out in the rainforest as does Juneau.

• Like 1

We are in ISP from 1:30- 10pm

Here is what I am leaning towards:

ISP- Kayak or Whales... I really don't know. I've never been whale watching, I'm not sure if it'd be super exciting. I feel like kayaking may be more?

Juneau- DIY to glacier, then ? I'm not sure. Any ideas? It'll be my family (2 teens) and my parents (60). We have time to do something else, but not a ton of budget.

Ketchikan- rainforest? 

Skagway- train. 

My kid is a forestry/natural resources and anthropology major so extra bonus points for things like that. 

53 minutes ago, kajasmin said:

We are in ISP from 1:30- 10pm

Here is what I am leaning towards:

ISP- Kayak or Whales... I really don't know. I've never been whale watching, I'm not sure if it'd be super exciting. I feel like kayaking may be more?

Juneau- DIY to glacier, then ? I'm not sure. Any ideas? It'll be my family (2 teens) and my parents (60). We have time to do something else, but not a ton of budget.

Ketchikan- rainforest? 

Skagway- train. 

My kid is a forestry/natural resources and anthropology major so extra bonus points for things like that. 

Glacier Wind (Hoonah/ISP) has a 6 passenger boat. You could have a private whale watching trip. If you have never gone whale watching - I would do that. It can be amazing. Alaska is a great place (especially Hoonah) to go whale watching: https://www.g-wind.com  People can kayak in many places but how many places can you whale watch?