HAL or Princess to AK in August 2025

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

As far as my Live From threads, start around page 4 and initially just look at the pictures. It will go faster. 😂

One more suggestion regarding your AK cruise if you book one with Princess. If it’s in your budget, book one of their fully-covered aft-facing cabins before they are all gone. We were in one on our Antarctica/SA cruise and it was awesome, even when the weather had an attitude! 😁

Ken, I'm reading your TR on the Galapagos now & it's awesome.  I really appreciate reading all your indepth reports! We usually go more budget- OV- as we take 4-6 trips a year. We are also going to Shenandoah park near where we leave for probably 5 nights & KY over the summer. & I'm currently in Rochester NY now staying at another Marriott as my husband is lifetime Titanium. I love your TR & will read all of them. Thanks for taking the time to post!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Ken, I'm reading your TR on the Galapagos now & it's awesome.  I really appreciate reading all your indepth reports! We usually go more budget- OV- as we take 4-6 trips a year. We are also going to Shenandoah park near where we leave for probably 5 nights & KY over the summer. & I'm currently in Rochester NY now staying at another Marriott as my husband is lifetime Titanium. I love your TR & will read all of them. Thanks for taking the time to post!

FWIW we will be on the Grand Princess on a 22-day Alaska B3B starting the end of April and, of course, I’ll be posting to a Live From thread. 😁  The third leg is identical to the itinerary leaving out of Whittier that you are considering.

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As far as my Live From threads, start around page 4 and initially just look at the pictures. It will go faster. 😂

One more suggestion regarding your AK cruise if you book one with Princess. If it’s in your budget, book one of their fully-covered aft-facing cabins before they are all gone. We were in one on our Antarctica/SA cruise and it was awesome, even when the weather had an attitude! 😁

I will look forward to reading it then. AK, with global glacier warming, has changed a lot from 30 years ago. We went before the TV show northern exposure put Talkeetna on the map! It was a quirky town back then but we loved it. Keep in mind the Denali NP has limited park access from the bridge collapse but is still awesome I think.

24 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I will look forward to reading it then. AK, with global glacier warming, has changed a lot from 30 years ago. We went before the TV show northern exposure put Talkeetna on the map! It was a quirky town back then but we loved it. Keep in mind the Denali NP has limited park access from the bridge collapse but is still awesome I think.

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB from 1973-75 when the population of Anchorage was around 100k. Now it’s around 300k! We have cruised to Alaska with HAL, Celebrity, and Disney over the past 10 years and it’s still an awesome place to visit!! Now it’s Princess’ turn to wow us! 😂

Ken I just finished your TR on the Galapagos last night & it was awesome. The pictures really added a lot to the blog. Thanks so much for posting!

I will go back & read some of the other TR also. And I will follow your TR to AK. We went to AK in the 1980's so things also have changed a lot since then & not for the better with global warming & population increase. AK always holds a special place in our hearts. We are also staying at a bear lodge in Lake Clarke national park for 3 nights next late July, traveling inland on our own & then going on a cruise ship. Decided going over for a day was way too short & good possibility of canceling due to bad weather.

• Like 1

Being retired government, I heard about the expansion & a grateful the government bought & preserved the land. I live near the "company" town so we hear a lot.

BTW are you aware that the bridge that was destroyed In Denali NP won't be repaired till 2026? So you can only travel about 20 miles inland on the park shuttle bus. We traveled to wonder lake back in the 80's & got to see "the big one" - Denali.

We loved Talkteena then also.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments.

We went on HAL to AK 30 years ago & loved it. Returning to Glacier Bay is a must for us!

I'm watching both cruises now. My TA has been out so will talk with her again when she returns.

Celebrity cruises does not have park privileges to go into Glacier bay & returning there is very important to us.

We are leaning to HAL again.

Yes it was between the Niew Amsterdam & Sapphire Princess. We have been to AK before in August & agree that it rains more than. Once the first northerly cold front comes down, it brings heavy rain & wind. We hit a gale & missed a port of call! We are Bluewater sailors so didn't get sick but the dining room was almost empty! Fortunately we are looking at either the August 2 & 3 trip. We are doing a bear adventure into the Bush July 21 for 3 nights & will explor  AK before & after the bear trip waiting for the cruise. We are retired so have the time.