Transfer reservation from HAL to a TA.

I’m a DIY kinda guy, I investigate all of the details and enjoy doing things myself.  Like many on CC I book through a TA to get some sort of OBC or gift card.  However one of my frustrations is not talking directly with HAL.  Sometimes when I have specific questions or concern, the TA isn’t very knowledgeable in a certain area and I’m never quite sure if they are communicating my concerns or requests to HAL.  

Is it possible to call HAL directly book a cruise with the phone agent and then transfer the reservation to another TA?   I’m never sure if the phone representative is a HAL employee or if that person really works for a third party TA that works for HAL.  If it’s a third party TA I’m concerned that there might be an issue transferring the reservation. 

I have dealt with another cruise line that distinguished between online and phone reservations and had different people handling follow up questions.

TIA

Posted (edited)

Yes, you can book directly with HAL then transfer to a TA. There is a time limit (60 or 90 days, don't remember which) from the time you book and it can't be w/in final payment. You can get the form from HAL or the TA can give it to you.

If you do this, you shouldn't use a HAL PCC to book as that's a lost booking against them; just use a general reservation agent that answers the phone. 

If you have questions that you really want to ask directly to HAL, you can do a 3-way call w/them and your TA - they will talk with you that way.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, you can book directly with HAL then transfer to a TA. There is a time limit (60 or 90 days, don't remember which) from the time you book and it can't be w/in final payment. You can get the form from HAL or the TA can give it to you.

If you do this, you shouldn't use a HAL PCC to book as that's a lost booking against them; just use a general reservation agent that answers the phone. 

If you have questions that you really want to ask directly to HAL, you can do a 3-way call w/them and your TA - they will talk with you that way.

60 Days.. Our friends tried to transfer their booking to a TA for our September Med cruise. They were told transfers arent allowed 60 days after initial booking.

Edited by iowacruiser
  • Thanks 1

OP, I do all my own investigating to but once I have decided, I book directly with my TA.  No hassle for me.  

A lot of the people that answer the 1-800 line are new and not knowledgeable.  I think they have a script for some answers.   I put more trust in my TA and the info here than calling HAL and risking getting one of the outsourced reps.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

HAL inbound sales support coordinators (SSCs) have a sales goal and a transfer booking counts against them, just like it does for a PCC. Probably not in the exact same proportion, but it does count against them.

We always had our TA do the legwork and get answers for us. Over a few decades, I transferred 2 bookings to our TA, both made by me, online. I assume that the website was not taking a hit on the transfer. (Unless the website did take a hit. Maybe that's why it's glitchy. It's sad that it lost a booking in 2011 & 2014.) 😔

Edited by POA1
  • Haha 2

I should add that our TA gave us a little extra bonus for doing his work for him. He sent us a bottle of champagne each time. (Actual Champagne, not Cremant or other sparkling wine.) This was on top of the normal benefits of booking with his agency.

Granted, he was an old school TA who retired during the shutdown, but if you are doing the work, you should get more than the standard benefits when you transfer.

1 hour ago, kazu said:  

A lot of the people that answer the 1-800 line are new and not knowledgeable.  I think they have a script for some answers.   I put more trust in my TA and the info here than calling HAL and risking getting one of the outsourced reps.

This is problem that I’m trying solve.  I can usually train the person on the other end of the phone.  I often use a big box TA and they have hired a lot of new people after the pandemic.  So when I end up with an inexperienced TA who is dealing with an inexperienced person at HAL it’s sometimes very difficult.  So if I could just deal directly with HAL’s inexperienced person and transfer it to TA of my choice, it should be easier.

9 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

This is problem that I’m trying solve.  I can usually train the person on the other end of the phone.  I often use a big box TA and they have hired a lot of new people after the pandemic.  So when I end up with an inexperienced TA who is dealing with an inexperienced person at HAL it’s sometimes very difficult.  So if I could just deal directly with HAL’s inexperienced person and transfer it to TA of my choice, it should be easier.

I’m sorry but you lost me on this one.  You can’t train HAL’s people.

Why  not just get a good TA that gives OBC or discounts (you don’t need a big box store tor that) and get off on the right foot??

I’d far rather a knowledgeable TA than one who gives a bit more reward but I am hand holding.  I have sadly discovered that there are times you need a good TA and no hand holding will help if they don’t know their business.

I’m usually low maintenance but when covid hit my TA had her hands full getting us (there were several of us booked) to the cruise we wanted and not the one HAL suggested.  She succeeded.  And when I lost my DD DH she went to bat to get HAL to fix the booking - and for whatever reason (probably new staff) it was a struggle.

I’ll stick with a TA that looks out for MY interest and is taking care of me.  If someone else’s OBC/reward is better, it’s meaningless if they can’t go to bat for you.  JMO.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If I understand you correctly, you lost your DD and I’m very sorry for that and I wish and your family peace.

But with all do respect I can train HALs representatives, one person at a time.  I’ll just keep moving them to the correct answer.  I’m not trying to cheat them, just trying to get fair treatment.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

But with all do respect I can train HALs representatives, one person at a time.  I’ll just keep moving them to the correct answer.  I’m not trying to cheat them, just trying to get fair treatment.

Now, I'm confused. Between the PCCs and the SSCs (inbound sales people), you're looking at hundreds of people. How are you going to train them unless you are sure you know the answers to your questions?

Also, how are you going to know when you get the correct answer? Your TA is probably going to have to contact HAL anyway. What if they get a different answer than the one you think is correct?

As I mentioned, our TA gave us Champagne on top of the regular $$ when we did his work for him by booking online.

If you are going to invest the time to do all the research, you might want to shop your booking to multiple TAs to see who is willing to best compensate you for all your hard work.

Edited by POA1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Now, I'm confused. Between the PCCs and the SSCs (inbound sales people), you're looking at hundreds of people. How are you going to train them unless you are sure you know the answers to your questions?

Also, how are you going to know when you get the correct answer? Your TA is probably going to have to contact HAL anyway. What if they get a different answer than the one you think is correct?

As I mentioned, our TA gave us Champagne on top of the regular $$ when we did his work for him by booking online.

If you are going to invest the time to do all the research, you might want to shop your booking to multiple TAs to see who is willing to best compensate you for all your hard work.

It seems like you have assumed my goal is to train all of the HAL agents, nothing is farther from the truth.  I am only interested in training the HAL agent that is on the phone with me at that moment.  When that HAL agent does what I know is possible, then it is a success.  Some agents require more training than others and some are very good.

As far as how will I know the correct answer, that’s simple.  I just ask my friends on CC.  No one is smarter than the people on CC.

OK. You get an answer from here. You call HAL until you get the same answer from someone there - or you "train" the person at HAL until they give you the correct / answer from Cruise Critic?

Then you go to your TA and you give them the same answer?

What if the CC answer you start with is wrong? (It might shock you to know, but it happens.)

I come back to my original point. Your TA should give you extra for doing their job. If not, you can find one who will give you something for your work.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

OK. You get an answer from here. You call HAL until you get the same answer from someone there - or you "train" the person at HAL until they give you the correct / answer from Cruise Critic?

Then you go to your TA and you give them the same answer?

What if the CC answer you start with is wrong? (It might shock you to know, but it happens.)

I come back to my original point. Your TA should give you extra for doing their job. If not, you can find one who will give you something for your work.

Ok, you’ve convinced me.  Not everyone on CC knows the correct way to do things.

• Haha 1