First Timer- Valletta, Malta

We want to stay around the port when we arrive in Valletta, I would love any suggestions on what to do, places we need to see and where to eat! I have looked around at tours, but nothing is catching my eye. So, if anyone has been to Valletta, I would love to hear what you all did at port 🙂 

Posted (edited)

The St John's Co-Cathedral is magnificent and not to be missed. The Upper and Lower Barrakka Gardens are lovely with the Upper Barrakka Gardens having particularly wonderful views over the harbour. There is also the noon day firing of the cannon at the Saluting Battery which you can watch from the Upper Barrakka Gardens. The St Elmo Fort and Siege Bell War Memorial can be visited. The old city of Valletta is lovely to walk around looking at the old buildings, narrow streets and shops. There are many cafes and restaurants to stop for a drink or a bite to eat. You can also get a ferry across the harbour to Vittoriosa to wander around the narrow streets and get fabulous views back to Valletta. Valletta is lovely and very easy to wander around.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

if anyone has been to Valletta, I would love to hear what you all did at port 🙂 

Valletta is quite an easy DIY port. Purple Traveller has already given you some of the highlights, to find others to suit your personal interests and to check opening hours etc on your day of the week/date, check the Valletta Tourist Board website, also Tripadvisor, YouTube, Rick Steves and others which appear when you google something like "Valletta Tourist Information". and do read past threads for information and ideas.  Here are some to get you started.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=valletta&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Lots to do and see in Valletta and much of it is pedestrian.

Two tips which you will also read on some of the previous threads.

Be up on deck an hour or so before arrival for the sail in to the Grand Harbour, one of the most scenic sail ins anywhere. Forward facing or starboard would be best.  Local boat trips are offered but you get to enjoy it twice for free.

Ships are docked low down at the waterfront.  Valletta city is uphill, and can be quite a steep walk up.  There is a lift which takes you up to the Barrakka Gardens which Purple Traveller mentioned. There are incredible views to be found there.  The lift costs 1 euro pp to go up, free to come down.  To find it, at the port exit turn right and walk along that waterfront road until you see the lift entrance across the street.

Depending on the month you will visit, Valletta can be very hot so dress accordingly and carry or buy water.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

Yes just the one day.

Gotcha. We had 4-nights there last year. Purpletraveller's post sums it up very well. We did all those things. We also had a trip to Mdina (about 30-40 min bus-ride) because the wife is a GOT fan (and it was a great wee medieval walled town!) and a day-trip (similar bus-time) to Marsaxlokk where we saw the traditional Luzzo boats and had a ride in one to the grotto. However if you're just there for the day.. would look at Purpletraveller's recommendations. We enjoyed Fort St Elmo.. but even just wandering round Valetta admiring the old buildings, city walls etc was great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The highlight for me was the Malta at War Museum & War Tunnels. (Not to be confused with Fort St. Elmo aka National War Museum). The Malta at War Museum is slightly further out from the city centre - about a 10 minute bus ride away. The war tunnels were absolutely amazing and is the biggest I have seen. It's not just a few long tunnels but an entire labyrinth of rooms used as communal refuge rooms, supply rooms, private bomb shelter cubicles, first aid station etc. 

I took an included guided tour but you're free to just roam around, hard hats provided! I wrote a blog post about my DIY excursion if you're interested about the Malta at War Museum. 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/valletta-cruise-port-diy-excursion-guide

Edited by Zana711
  • Like 1

We've been to Valletta a few times as a cruise port and agree with everything Purple Traveller said. Just walk out of the port and head toward the lift up to the Barrakka Gardens and enjoy your day. You must visit the Co Cathedral, one of the most ornate church buildings in Europe.

Every time we've been in Valletta on the way back onboard we passed through a duty free shop after the security checks and were able to buy alcohol etc and bring it to our room. Hopefully that still applies.

It's a really good harbour to watch sailing into / out of as it's quite narrow passing the city and the forts at the entrance.

• Like 2

I’m really looking forward to Valletta. Just been watching the documentary on Channel 5 called Malta jewel of the Mediterranean – it featured the cathedral St John’s it looks amazing!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

Does anyone know of a local company that you can hire a car with a private driver to drive you around the island? 

My post #3 above has a link to past threads about Valletta,  and I suggest you look at the subject lines  because it is almost certain that some of these past threads will be asking about private tours and you can read the replies which should have recommendations in them.

Edited by edinburgher