British Isles Cruise Gear

Taking my first cruise abroad.  I shoot Sony APSC gear and am curious what lenses to take?  Without any knowledge otherwise, I’m taking two bodies.  One with my 18-105 f4 and the other with my new 11-18 f2.8.  I’m taking both bodies for two reasons.  First, in case something happens to one.  Second, I can have each lens mounted to its own body so I don’t have to switch lenses on the fly.

I took a quick look at lens usage in Lightroom from our Ireland/Iceland trip a few years ago. I looked at the Ireland segment and it shows that I shot over 90% of the images with the 24-105 f/4 on my A7. I actually used the 70-300 mounted on the A6300 more than the 12mm f/2 Rokinon, but neither were used very often.

It looks like you are pretty well covered.

Dave

59 minutes ago, pierces said:

I took a quick look at lens usage in Lightroom from our Ireland/Iceland trip a few years ago. I looked at the Ireland segment and it shows that I shot over 90% of the images with the 24-105 f/4 on my A7. I actually used the 70-300 mounted on the A6300 more than the 12mm f/2 Rokinon, but neither were used very often.

It looks like you are pretty well covered.

Dave

Thanks.  While I didn’t say it, my real question was whether I should take my 70-350 lens.  Given the crop factor of my A6600 and A6700, I’m going to leave the longer lens home.  One lens that was never in question was my 200-600 😉

58 minutes ago, Jon054 said:

Thanks.  While I didn’t say it, my real question was whether I should take my 70-350 lens.  Given the crop factor of my A6600 and A6700, I’m going to leave the longer lens home.  One lens that was never in question was my 200-600 😉

The 70-350 might be worth taking. There are bits and details that you just can't get with a 150mm equivalent lens. This shot of a lucky traveler kissing the Blarney Stone would have been a little less detailed with a shorter lens.

Ireland-Iceland%202019-1081-3000w.webp

image.thumb.png.956c80a6a1b7e1163c060edc98924de7.png

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jon054 said:

You’ve convinced me.  Just got home from Central Arkansas photographing the eclipse.  Wow is not descriptive enough.

DSC05478.jpeg

We had solid over cast, kind of a let down after all the reports of how great it was going to be. 

I have a bud that works for the national weather service.  I pestered him endlessly trying to decide which of 3 states I was going to visit.  Luckily, it turned out to be the nearest one. On the 3 hour drive, it was cloudy but an hour before the show started, the clouds parted like the Red Sea did for Moses.