Question re: differing beverage package inclusions for UK sailings

bundtkate

My husband and I are going on our first X cruise next year sailing out of Southampton. I noticed that the beverage packages have a higher limit for UK and Australia sailings (e.g. up to $17 for premium out of the US, but up to $20 out of the UK). I'm wondering how this impacts the value of the beverage package for our sailing. Does the package cover more when sailing out of the UK, or are drinks simply more expensive on UK sailings thus the higher limit is meant to ensure the same drinks are covered regardless? I've struggled to find any bar menus specific to the UK so I'm inclined to believe they're the same and UK sailing simply include more, but that's counter-intuitive given how lines have recently been tightening belts and limiting inclusions so I'd hate to assume.

Posted (edited)

On Australia and UK sailings, instead of a 20% service charge per drink, that amount is built in to the price. Consequently, the limit is increased for those sailing.  However, the end result is the same. 

Harris

Denver. CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

No it is not the taxes, it’s tge way tge gratuity is charged.  Post #2 is exactly correct.

That post #2 guy must be a genius.  🙂

It’s do to with consumer regulations: in the U.K, the price quoted on menus etc, must be the price you pay. Hidden extras aren’t allowed. That’s the gratuities/service charge.

So it’s the same drinks, same price, but with honest pricing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

On Australia and UK sailings, instead of a 20% service charge per drink, that amount is built in to the price

Ah, that would explain it! I have to agree with @HeddaGarbled that things should always be this way. The crew work hard and gratuities should be part of the cost of cruising so it's nice to see it actually works that way in some places. Thanks so much for the help, y'all!