April 8 2024 Solar Eclipse - Sapphire Princess

Gaynors

Do check ahead to see if you are required to have a reservation for Haleakala. 

5 hours ago, Gaynors said:

The ship arrives at 8 and we are picking up our rental by 8:30 then heading straight to Haleakala, hopefully we'll beat the clouds

Guri Guri is island made.  While there. buy yourself a small bag of Maui Potato Chips.

It's a LONG walk out of the port, but the mall is close.  

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Do check ahead to see if you are required to have a reservation for Haleakala. 

Guri Guri is island made.  While there. buy yourself a small bag of Maui Potato Chips.

It's a LONG walk out of the port, but the mall is close.  

Thanks.

It appears that you only need reservations between 3 am and 7 am for sunrise.  We won't be docked and in our rental car until well after that.

• Like 1

I believe that I read the eclipse will be moving 1500 miles an hour.  Figure out how far you will be from Hawaii to know how much earlier to start looking.  The partial is from about 6:30 am till 8:00 am HST.  Then you have to figure out what time zone you are in.  Oh my.

If you do a quick google search:  Solar Eclipse 2024 Hawaii...you will pull up quite an assortment of links.  Here is just one example:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/honolulu?iso=20240408#:~:text=Eclipses visible in Honolulu%2C Hawaii,Apr 8%2C 2024 Solar Eclipse

Keep in mind that there will be a three hours difference between California PDT and Hawaii Standard Time.  You will be setting your clocks back an hour each day for 3 out of the 5 days (I think that's the correct direction).  

• In UTC-8: Pacific Standard Time (PST). It covers the western region of the country: California, Washington, part of Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho. This time zone also covers part of Mexico and Canada. It belongs to one of the four time zones in the contiguous United States. The reference city for PST is usually Los Angeles.
  • In UTC-9: Alaska Standard Time (ALKS). This time zone is shared with the Gambier Islands of French Polynesia.
  • In UTC-10: Hawaiian-Aleutian Standard Time (HAST), also known as Hawaii Standard Time (HST)

And then you have to factor in DST

Give yourself a good buffer of time.  The one thing in your favor is that it doesn't happen quickly.  You might just hit it correctly.

These are some local news channels that my cover it:

KITV 4 

KHON 2

Hawaii News Now

The Star Advertiser

KGMB

I was on the Golden leaving San Francisco when I happened upon a partial solar eclipse.  It was SOOOOO cold on the Lido Deck.  Another passenger was prepared with a welder's glass.  We were the only two interested in the event.

Good Luck

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

I believe that I read the eclipse will be moving 1500 miles an hour.  Figure out how far you will be from Hawaii to know how much earlier to start looking.  The partial is from about 6:30 am till 8:00 am HST.  Then you have to figure out what time zone you are in.  Oh my.

That's why I posted the original question.  Hopefully there will be some notification about the eclipse from the ship.  If not I'll do my best.  Luckily I do have the WiFi so I can plug my location into the prediction websites.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you do a quick google search:  Solar Eclipse 2024 Hawaii...you will pull up quite an assortment of links.  Here is just one example:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/honolulu?iso=20240408#:~:text=Eclipses visible in Honolulu%2C Hawaii,Apr 8%2C 2024 Solar Eclipse

Keep in mind that there will be a three hours difference between California PDT and Hawaii Standard Time.  You will be setting your clocks back an hour each day for 3 out of the 5 days (I think that's the correct direction).  

• In UTC-8: Pacific Standard Time (PST). It covers the western region of the country: California, Washington, part of Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho. This time zone also covers part of Mexico and Canada. It belongs to one of the four time zones in the contiguous United States. The reference city for PST is usually Los Angeles.
  • In UTC-9: Alaska Standard Time (ALKS). This time zone is shared with the Gambier Islands of French Polynesia.
  • In UTC-10: Hawaiian-Aleutian Standard Time (HAST), also known as Hawaii Standard Time (HST)

And then you have to factor in DST

Give yourself a good buffer of time.  The one thing in your favor is that it doesn't happen quickly.  You might just hit it correctly.

These are some local news channels that my cover it:

KITV 4 

KHON 2

Hawaii News Now

The Star Advertiser

KGMB

I was on the Golden leaving San Francisco when I happened upon a partial solar eclipse.  It was SOOOOO cold on the Lido Deck.  Another passenger was prepared with a welder's glass.  We were the only two interested in the event.

Good Luck

The problem with the time zones is the cruise line can opt to change at their choice ( not necessarily at the actual time when we will physically cross into the next zone)... they just need to get us to the Hawaiian time by April 11th.

Part of the challenge.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gaynors said:

The problem with the time zones is the cruise line can opt to change at their choice ( not necessarily at the actual time when we will physically cross into the next zone)... they just need to get us to the Hawaiian time by April 11th.

Part of the challenge.

It doesn't matter what time zone you're in - just turn on your stateroom TV. News channels will be covering it. Or your phone on social media or news. You don't need to know what exact time the ship is on when you see it it you do this. 

• Like 1

ALSO:  That early in the morning (Hawaiian Time), the sun will be very low on the horizon.  This morning, it was still "dark" at 6 AM HST.  Sunrise was at 6:30 AM this morning.

22 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It doesn't matter what time zone you're in - just turn on your stateroom TV. News channels will be covering it. Or your phone on social media or news. You don't need to know what exact time the ship is on when you see it it you do this. 

How much will the news and social media be actually covering it over the ocean?  I know it will be big news once it gets to land, but by then it will be too late for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

ALSO:  That early in the morning (Hawaiian Time), the sun will be very low on the horizon.  This morning, it was still "dark" at 6 AM HST.  Sunrise was at 6:30 AM this morning.

Yep, I was wondering about this... Agreed, from my guestimate of where we'll be, the sun should be up but low on the horizon.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:22 PM, Gaynors said:

Oh no!!  That would be very disappointing.

At a minimum I will ask at guest services but was hoping maybe Princess would do something special.. even though we'll only see a partial eclipse.  

I guess I should start asking our first sea day (April 6th) and maybe even ask whichever officers or staff attends our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet which is also that first sea day. 

Hopefully it will be mentioned in the daily newsletter!

On 3/22/2024 at 3:38 PM, Astro Flyer said:

The 20% average maximum for Hawaii is between 0627 & 0757 HST (0927 & 1057 PDT)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/hawaii?iso=20240408

Maybe you could locate a map by searching online for approximately midway between LA & HI to find an estimated amount of obscuration…even a guess-timate is better than nothing. 😉

If you hope to see the small partial eclipse then get eye protection glasses from someplace such as Amazon. I’m on Discovery’s TSE at sea off of Mazatlan & Princess sent an email confirming that we’ll receive glasses on the ship.

The eclipse is a pretty big deal here in Maine and I was able to buy some eclipse glasses at the astronomy center at UMaine the other day.  So, we're ready if the ship is in the zone!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:18 PM, Gaynors said:

How much will the news and social media be actually covering it over the ocean?  I know it will be big news once it gets to land, but by then it will be too late for us.

Yeah, that's the problem.  They might talk about it when it starts out over the ocean, but I don't see how they can really help us.  As for the phone showing us where we are, as was suggested, the phone sometimes can't do that out in the middle of the ocean.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:36 PM, kamelia said:

I would definitely ask at Guest Services once you're onboard.  I don't know who will be at the helm by then, but I have cruised with both Captain McBain and Captain Ravera in Antarctica and was impressed by how passionate each of them was about sharing the experience of where we were with both passengers and crew, so it would not surprise me to find them equally as engaged regarding the eclipse, especially if they know there are interested passengers.

That's good to know!  Thank you!

Dave

On 3/23/2024 at 8:34 PM, KreinKrunker said:

Oh, no, sounds like a math word problem from junior high school!!!

Dave

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:29 PM, Gaynors said:

That's why I posted the original question.  Hopefully there will be some notification about the eclipse from the ship.  If not I'll do my best.  Luckily I do have the WiFi so I can plug my location into the prediction websites.

Oh, I just realized that if our phones cannot get our location, our coordinates should be on the TV map...

Dave

4 minutes ago, Burncox said:

As for the phone showing us where we are, as was suggested, the phone sometimes can't do that out in the middle of the ocean.

If you have Wi-Fi access, cruisemapper.com will give you a pretty accurate read on the ship's location.  For example, here are the current details for the Sapphire Princess:

Sapphire Princess current location is at North America West Coast (coordinates 10.37940 N / -88.61246 W) cruising at speed of 20.2 kn (37 km/h | 23 mph) en route to PUERTO VALLARTA. The AIS position was reported 18 minutes ago.

Just now, kamelia said:

If you have Wi-Fi access, cruisemapper.com will give you a pretty accurate read on the ship's location.  For example, here are the current details for the Sapphire Princess:

Sapphire Princess current location is at North America West Coast (coordinates 10.37940 N / -88.61246 W) cruising at speed of 20.2 kn (37 km/h | 23 mph) en route to PUERTO VALLARTA. The AIS position was reported 18 minutes ago.

Ah, yes!  The makes sense!  Good point!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two screen shots from NASA's Where & When website that I thought might be of some use to you tomorrow as you're trying to figure out when the partial solar eclipse might be visible from Sapphire Princess.  Hopefully you will be able to figure out the timing based on more accurate information as to the ship's actual position.  Fingers crossed for good weather conditions for you!

Using zip code from San Pedro Pier, Los Angeles

image.png.4888c7d4573e9e9f4290a62521d9d1a8.png

Using zip code from Hilo, Hawaii

image.png.1dd2e855e869a6a7b05fb34f5ff03687.png

Update!!  Live from the sapphire princess...8:30am ship time 

Nothing in the patter about the eclipse..

BUT. They just made an announcement with the estimated times AND they have eclipse glasses for free at guest services!

Way to go princess!!

• Like 4

I am so thrilled that you were able to get some good views.  Kudo's to Princess for providing glasses.  

I had friends fly from HNL to Texas....only to get cloud cover for most of the eclipse.  You got a bonus activity on your cruise. Good timing on your part.

• Like 1